Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Hm. They might yet convince me to go for it. Stupid sales. D:

Are there any actual differences in the new edition vs the old one? Or is it just the same manga packaged differently and in fewer volumes?

3 Likes

We noticed Aria had a few panels different between versions, though that may have been because Naph had the very first original-edition print run. Also, a number of chapters were in a different order.

3 Likes

That also happened with Sailor Moon. Some panel were modernized to include dvds instead of floppy disks.
It’s not like the original version is always worst though. For ARIA, the new version did not have the bonus comic that’s usually under the book cover.

5 Likes

I’m just gonna apologise here and now if I post any discussion threads late in the coming weeks, or just on entirely the wrong day - working from home full time is messing up my sense of which day we’re on pretty intensely :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

Bah. I was hoping I could find a link to a website that does nothing but read your system time and then post in big friendly letters “It’s Friday” or whatever, but my search fu is weak. Google will tell you, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can this be bought if I own a kindle paperwhite connected to the US store already? Like, is my kindle region locked?

A kindle can only be linked to one Amazon account at a time, and unfortunately amazon.com and amazon.co.jp require different accounts. The good news is that you can freely switch your Paperwhite between accounts as much as you want. It’s just inconvenient.

4 Likes

Thanks sounds like a pain but doable

As this was originally a BBC read, I figure it makes sense to make sure people here know about the re-read group:

10 Likes

Being at home is definitely confusing me. I seen this and wondered why the BBC would be interested in Japanese books :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hah, sorry :grin: I like to call them the BBC and the ABC…

1 Like

Should be ABBC though… People are gonna think ABC is the advanced book club…

2 Likes

I’ve just been watching the news too much lately

That definitely does make sense as an abbreviation for beginner book club :joy:

2 Likes

If any of you still want to check out the furuba manga the first 10 volumes are free to read until 4/14 on ebookJapan - black and white or colored

4 Likes

I can’t put myself through another binge read like I did for がっこうぐらし. Thanks though!

2 Likes

It says 9/30まで even. Maybe they extended it? Or I’m looking in the wrong place. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The first volume of each is free to read until 9/30 (which works great for the book club), and volumes 2-10 are free until 4/14 in celebration of season 2 coming out soon :smile: And they’re saying season 2 starts with volume 7 if anyones interested in getting a sneak peak

4 Likes

Ooh, thanks for the extensive info! Guess I’ll be reading at least volume 1 with the book club. :+1:

Will take a look later to decide if I do want to binge after all. ^^

4 Likes

My copy of Fruits Basket just arrived and it’s so chonky :joy: like as fat as Aria, but not as tall, so it’s like a little paper brick.

9 Likes

i was wondering if anyone has checked out 地縛少年花子くん(toilet bound hanako kun)?
I enjoyed the anime and was able to follow it easily so i checked out the manga and realized it was extremely easy to understand and was thinking it may be nice for this book club.

3 Likes