Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

There’s a nice variety of manga in there (from the ones I recognize).

Also, about Nausicaa. Now there’s a manga that would crush the beginner book club haha.

First manga I read where they had to give word definitions in the margin.

1 Like

I wonder if Usagi Drop would work for the group. :thinking:

Only if we stop before the timeskip…

2 Likes

Just did some 立ち読み of the first couple of pages from here.
It looks pretty interesting. No furigana, but that seems to become the norm around those parts.

Now that’s one of my favourite shows. Not sure if it’s what @Belthazar is referring to, but I read the general plot outline of the manga and the direction it goes in filled me with despair, so I’d only be looking to read the first volume or two anyway :sweat_smile:

I’ve actually seen that one!

1 Like

Yah, that’s what I was referring to.

Actually, I’m not sure I’ve seen the anime. Just read the manga. Maybe I should watch the anime sometime.

For that matter, I should get around to watching the live-action film too.

I don’t often go to karaoke, but when I do, I sing the OP from the anime :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Okay, so pre-timeskip volumes only!

You should - it was one of the first slice-of-life shows I watched, so I might have been biased by not being fatigued of the genre, but at the time I absolutely loved it.

@Naphthalene :joy: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Y’all got me to check, and, hmm, indeed, that’s not what I was expecting :thinking:

Also, your wording made me remember I’ve been wanting to post this gif

3 Likes

Mhm. In defence of the anime (and the early part of the manga, I assume), it’s certainly not where I was expecting it to go having watched it.

1 Like

I was reading the manga of that too, but I dropped it because I was sick of constantly flipping to the back to understand all the cultural references. Apparently that one goes in weird directions towards the end as well.

… Weirder than the way it starts?
I only read the first volume, and it was indeed a mix of hilarious and interrogation marks.

Yes definitely before that. But we’d only read the first volume for book club anyway so it’d be fine.

1 Like

Reminder: Nominations will be closed on October 5th.

Everybody panics

5 Likes

Are you going to nominate anything?

I think that was his nomination?

4 Likes

Well, I want to, yes, but I haven’t found the time to prepare it yet.

1 Like

Can I nominate Shirokuma Cafe?