Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Non non biyori and Natsume Yuujinchou are among my favorite anime, so I’m pleased to see those as the favorites right now in the poll. :slight_smile: However I just looked on Amazon for them, and seems like Non Non biyori is cheaper and easier to get compared to Natsume. Amazon Germany only has huge bunde deals for Natsume and there’s not even an option for the first volume by itself. :thinking:

1 Like

Have you ordered from Amazon Japan before? 夏目友人帳 is actually cheaper than のんのんびより on Amazon Japan, though of course both could be more expensive than buying them used from your country’s Amazon.

To give you yet more options, CD Japan has just the first volume of Natsume available as well - and it’s nearly 100 yen cheaper than Non Non Biyori!

I think it looks a little cheaper than Amazon too, though difficult to say how shipping will fall out.

I haven’t so far, only bought an eShop code there once. For Natsume, with shipping and handling it would be around 12€, so the shipping costs more than the book. Adding a second book, the price for shipping gets even more expensive. In comparison, I could get books 1-7 of Non Non Biyori on Amazon Germany used for around 30€ total. (Or just 1 book for 8€)

Seems like CDJapan has cheaper shipping though, thanks for the tip @Radish8.

1 Like

I just got a bill that was unexpectedly high… I will have to go out and lend money to survive this… So unless something I own wins I will sit out this round =(

Oh no, I hope things work out Toyger :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I knew it was coming, and it’s a state ordered action, with a promise of 75% refund! (yay!)
But it was a little higher than anticipated, and I can almost make it, but only almost ^^;
At least I will get most of it back, though I’m not sure how long that will take…

We had to change the plumbing connection outside, which meant a lot of digging and equipment. But it is way above their estimate -_-

1 Like

I might just skip Natsume though. I was really bored by the anime (sorry @felix330!) so I might just find something else to read for those four weeks.

I hope Non Non Biyori wins so I can read that first and then find something else to do!

Let’s just you and I do Non Non Biyori. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We’ll read it anyway even if it’s not first. :man_shrugging: (Did you miss the follow up polls?)
I’m considering buying the first two volumes though, so if it is read first I could read the second volume when the rest of the group is reading Natsume.

No, I voted “@seanblue should make these kinds of decisions unilaterally” :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh right. I only checked the first poll for your vote. It looks like it’s heading in the direction of reading one volume of each, so we should be able to read Non Non Biyori with the group. I won’t be deciding this unilaterally since that option was mostly a joke and barely anyone voted for it anyway.

Well, I saw one set of Non Non Biyori manga on ebay just had the buy it now price go up $30 USD…

Are we influencing the global market? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I’m going to book off later today to buy a few ARIA and ご注文はうさぎですか (against all hope, common sense and logic)
yolo, as the kids say these days.

5 Likes

Step 1. Move to Japan and open a business selling manga to Japanese learner book clubs.
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit!

5 Likes
  1. Nominate what you have lots of in stock so the book club buys them all :wink:
8 Likes

Genius!

1 Like

Seems perfectly logical to me. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Welp, I fail at manga location.
Manga in book off are grouped by genre then publishing company, then author name.
I had never heard of the company publishing AQUA/ARIA, so it took me more than an hour last time to find it.
ご注意はうさぎですか gave me some deja vu, as, once again, it’s from a company I had never heard of before.

But this time, I gave up after 15 minutes instead. Next time. (I did buy the first four ARIA, so the next two masterpiece books, though)

2 Likes

Aye, that seems to be the standard in any Japanese bookshop I’ve walked into. It’s like, why would I have the publisher memorised?

At least for Aria I remember, having read it often enough. Blade Comics. Couldn’t tell you where in any given shop to find that, though.

1 Like