This is mostly so I have a list in one place.
I’m planning to nominate the following over the next month or so (names in romaji for ease of skimming):
- Non Non Biyori
- Relaxed slice-of-life/comedy
- The vocab, wordplay, and punchlines are a little tricky at times, but it’s very easy to follow along with the context and its chapters are short
- Shirokuma Cafe
- Its humour didn’t resonate with me, but it is definitely a good beginner choice and I have the books, so why not
- Himouto! Umaru-chan
- Someone nominated this before, so I picked it up; it doesn’t seem too difficult, but it does lack furi
- Very short chapters, lots of visual gags, very shounen dialogue/conjugations while still being fairly slice-of-life and filled with common vocab
- Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
- Shoujo that focuses on an atypical romance between two highly intelligent, socially awkward people
If anyone beats me to any of these, that’s good, too.
There are a few others I’m considering, but I haven’t read more than the first chapter or two, so I’m not sure they’re really beginner-friendly. (I consider myself to be approaching the end of the beginner phase and have started chipping away at light novels)