Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Oh god yes, streaming episodes on an individual pay basis is also absurd on price. But that’s what makes streaming subscriptions so appealing… at least here.

Want to watch this series? That’ll be $80 for the boxed set, or a little less off, like, itunes.
Or… subscribe to netflix for $8 and watch all of it and some other stuff for the duration of entire month.

No contest.

The limiting factor is library.

Edit:
More concretely:
I was at a uses bookstore the other day, and it had Ranma 1/2 Season 4 in DVD for something like $30.
There are seven seasons.
All of them are on Japanese Netflix.

2 Likes

Except when you watch as slowly as I have been lately. Then it’s not nearly as appealing to pay for a subscription.

1 Like

Same. I started watching ハイキュー back in January. I have just finished the first season.

1 Like

Yeah. It helps if you share your streaming accounts, though. Netflix by default can stream to two different devices simultaneously (you can pay more to use more), so you can get 2-3 people’s worth of viewing out of one subscription.

2 Likes

Guess I should make some friends that watch anime. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Or family that watches anything. My mom is on my netflix account and just watches the same british murder mystery shows over and over :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The only services with a decent selection of anime are services that pretty much only have anime. There’s rarely an anime on Netflix worth watching.

Well, that’s a bit too specialized for me. :sweat_smile:
I’m just going to pray that the rental business stays strong in Japan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well Netflix Japan has a great selection last I checked. If I was less lazy I’d use a VPN and practice my listening with the lack of English subtitles.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, an added bonus is that dvd anime do not have any subtitles whatsoever here (well, movies do, I’m talking about series).
That way I haven’t been tempted to use that crutch :smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile, I could use some Japanese subtitles as a nice transitionary crutch. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ExpressVPN

A lot of Japanese media on American netflix has Japanese subtitles too, though.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, it felt amazing to start using Japanese subtitles. Of course, I needed to read everything at first, but after a year or so (which isn’t that much, considering my pace), I was only referring to it for words I couldn’t catch. Suddenly everything made sense, and it’s a much better experience than with English subtitles, since the actors are actually reading the text for you.
Hm, I think I just suck at explaining feelings. But it was pretty great when I managed that transition.

8 Likes

On the subject of watching things with Japanese subtitles (and boy have we drifted away from the actual thread topic), I gave the first episodes of two Terrace House seasons a try. They’re… intriguing, but just so very cringy. Like, both episodes, they’ve all barely sat down at the table together, and all the guys are immediately asking the girls “what kind of guy are you interested in dating?”

3 Likes

I mean, honestly hooking up is one of the only few reasons to be on the show. It’s not like there’s a prize.
You get a little bit of fame, room and board, and… hook up potential. That’s… it?

2 Likes

Priorities.

4 Likes

I didn’t even have to read all of what you said to work out this was Terrace House.
It’s the first question whenever somebody new shows up, followed by “do you drink?”

1 Like

I know about it too, although mainly cuz CLAMP is my favourite mangaka group and Tsubasa to this day my favourite manga xD
Rayearth is much better as manga I believe (although the anime I actually really enjoyed too) and I am so late to the party but meh.

Also (just to add something that is actually still relevant) the drama in Terrace House as you go along seems to fabricated and unnatural, that it’s actually quite entertaining xD

Maybe a nomination of the manga version of Scary Stories would get more votes? :woman_shrugging:t2:

The book would be an absolute challenge, possibly bordering on impossible for me, but I’d be willing to try.

1 Like