Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

I remember this:

3 Likes

I sort of thought Magic Knight Rayearth was pretty well known, at least if you’re into anime… Though I’ve never watched it personally (I haven’t actually watched too much anime from that era, outside Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.) I did play the fan translation of the Super Famicom RPG years and years ago.

It was one of the earliest isekai anime, way before the genre got as popular/oversaturated as it is now.

3 Likes

You haven’t heard of Rayearth? .-.

The opening is really cool.

3 Likes

No, but I don’t particularly like anime from before the mid-2000s.

What!?

5 Likes

2 Likes

Well I watched Dragon Ball Z growing up, but that’s it. I’ve since watched a few anime series from the 90s, but haven’t loved any of them. There are some gems from the early to mid 2000s (e.g. Haibane Renmei, Planetes, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A’s), but I think most of my favorite anime are from between 2006 and 2013.

I did an analysis a few years back as part of a presentation for a university Japanese cultural studies course where I sat down and categorised every single anime production that had come out in the previous calendar year according to the age of the protagonist. Fully two-thirds had a school-aged protagonist, whether or not they actually went to school, and much of the remainder were either younger kids or cutesy animals.

I should try digging up my actual results. I’m sure they’re still floating around the internet somewhere. Or I could do it again for 2018, just for the fun of it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, I know. It just looks so dated. I’m sure it didn’t at the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They do usually look dated! And the art/animation is one of the main reasons I watch anime, so it’s a real shame when the animation isn’t good. This circles back slightly on topic, because a little while ago @Kyasurin and I were talking about how the art in Aria the Masterpiece is amazing, and yet the animation quality from the anime adaption is so mediocre by today’s standards.

2 Likes

It might be because they’re dated.

2 Likes

And blurry. Or at least, my copies are. I wonder if they’ve released a super-HD 9000k Blu-Ray version. I doubt it. (Last time I checked, it wasn’t available on Crunchyroll in my country…)

おまえらはもう死んでる

2 Likes

When you find out the tapes you had your friend in Okinawa ship you look dated.

1 Like

When everyone starts talking about the anime and you’re like, wait, I think I read that manga.

5 Likes

I finally found the plus side to my still being DVD-only. I can’t tell good from bad visual quality when everything is DVD quality =D

1 Like

Anime on DVD is WAY
WAY
WAY
too expensive

2 Likes

It’s not so bad when you buy sets on sale, then anything you don’t want to keep (after watching it) you sell for half of what you paid for it.

1 Like

Renting is also pretty cheap. It’s 100jpy per dvd (for stuff older than a year).

2 Likes

I mean, yeah, if you live in either Japan or the 90s :wink:

(Rental stores don’t really exist in the US anymore. Streaming put them all out of business.)

4 Likes

What really surprises me is that, for the series I am watching now, streaming individual episodes is way more expensive than renting. Of course, the problem disappears if I take a subscription, but I would still need to watch more than I do now to make it actually cheaper.
All in all, renting feels like a much better option for me right now. Maybe I’m just old; you damn kids and your gameboys!

1 Like