Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

That’s fine :slightly_smiling_face: Be sure to check out the weekly threads when you start reading (whenever that may be), a lot of the questions you might have are probably answered there.

1 Like

We’ll be voting on the next book in a few days, so you can always try to read that first, rather than trying to catch up on the current book.

5 Likes

If you mean this in a sort of ‘should I start from the beginning or just jump in at the current point’ way, then I’d say the latter, with some caveats.

Reading along with the group (rather than just reading an old pick and looking at the old threads) is a big motivational boost, as you have a schedule and some accountability. Being able to discuss the story in real-time is a big plus, and it’s kind of easier to ask questions while the threads are active, though you’re always welcome to revive old threads.

There’s also no inherent order to the book club books. You might not want to read the current pick, but if you’re going for one from the archives then look for the one which looks best for you rather than just starting at the beginning.

That said, I wouldn’t try to catch up with the current pick. It’s a great book, so you might want to read it anyway in your own time, but if you’re looking to read with the group I’d vote on the next pick and then join in if it ends up being suitable.

1 Like

Can I suggest that, assuming they don’t win this time around, we remove Kino’s Journey and Wolf Children for future votes? They’re both longer than the limit for this book club, so those who want to read them should probably try to promote them for the Intermediate Club instead. Hopefully that will start up again and then we can just transfer any nominations which are too long over automatically.

3 Likes

I’m kinda tempted to stick in another nomination.

I also kinda think that twenty nominations is quite enough…

2 Likes

Nominations are closed.

2 Likes

There are more volumes of Aria to be read.

2 Likes

Welp, at least that decision’s made for you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Also, the limit for how many items can be in a poll is 20. It might be a good idea to never go above that, perhaps by removing the least popular items from the previous poll to stay at 20 or less.

5 Likes

Ooh, good point.

I mean, if we do end up transferring some nominations (perhaps even things like Wandering Son would be more appropriate for the other club) that would free up some space. But if we ever do hit that point I think that could be a good approach.

Farewell, Laid-Back Camp :cry:

2 Likes

I’m not sure we should even add Wolf Children to this poll based on its length.

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t even realise it was that long.

Feels kind of unfair to include Kino’s Journey then though :stuck_out_tongue:

So it seems. Not sure when that happened.

Uh, excuse me?

I think seanblue said somewhere up-thread that any nominations had to be in before the weekend (to give time for people to read samples before the vote this week/weekend).

It usually gets about two votes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Kino no tabi got nominated already right? :stuck_out_tongue: Could someone ping me when the next poll is up please? ^^

4 Likes

People just need to understand how amazing it is.

I mean, aside from the manga-ka’s ridiculous over-use of screentones…

Gotta be some way to get more votes. If anyone asks, I know nothing about the sockpuppets.

2 Likes

The anime was just okay. Yeah, I said it.

1 Like

Y… you’re just ok.

8 Likes

I had a much less funny reply lined up so I’m glad you beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not our problem if they miss out on greatness.

3 Likes

Puppets? :thinking: