Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

ココロのプログラム

Natively: Not rated! Ironic given recent discussions; I’d rate it 22-24

Summary

Apologies that the English version is a bit mangled. I don’t think it’s available in English yet!

Japanese

少年・九が出会ったのはロボットの少女・いちこ。噛み合うことのない歯車が、今 回り出す。 夏休み、母とふたりで暮らす宇佐美九のもとへ、人間にそっくりなロボットの少女のいちこがやってきた。「心」を学ぶ彼女に惹かれゆく九。そして九に想いを寄せる幼馴染の愛。少しずつ育ち、絡み合ってゆく気持ち…。ボーイ・ミーツ・ロボットガール、開演!

English

A boy, Kyu, meets a robot girl, Ichiko.

During summer vacation, Ichiko, a robot girl who looks just like a human, comes to live with Kyu Usami, who lives with his mother. Kyu becomes attracted to her as she learns about her “heart.” And Ai, a childhood friend who has feelings for Kyu. Feelings that grow little by little and become intertwined…

Boy Meets Robot Girl begins!

Availability

Physical: Amazon JP, CD Japan
Digital: Kindle, Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

I read a free preview sometime last year, and it seems a cute story. In some ways, the robot angle is a bit contrived, and it may turn into a bit of a standard love triangle, but I still liked it. It seems to also be a coming of age type story. I like the art style - though the content pages are somewhat different to the cover art, which I really like.

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Language style seems easy
  • Generally not text dense (there are a few pages which are, see second “additional page”
  • First of a short series (volume 4 out now, I don’t know if it’s complete there)

Cons

• Borderline length (it’s about 200 pages, story itself finishes before page 200)
  • Minimal furigana

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know
0 voters
12 Likes