Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

@jprspereira Perhaps we should have made a post detailing each of the suggestions before a vote, as there was a person who wasn’t sure what each of the options were.

Either way though, I picked the options I did because I already owned those books, I’m more than willing to buy something else if it’s picked. On the manga, are we reading the entire series, or by volume?

Hey, I’ll join too! :grinning:

Please write my name in the list too

I hope it will make me to study grammar

Is there any reason not to have separate book clubs for manga and light novels? Some of us aren’t really interested in Manga.

I think I could do a manga and a light novel side by side, but probably not the intermediate one as well though. Honestly don’t think I’m ready for the intermediate one anyone though…

I’ll add it to the the pool’s comment in a moment :slight_smile:

I did it this way so that you wouldn’t just be limited to 1 vote while still making a fair pool for everyone. If I had given unlimited options to vote, some people would vote on 3 or 4 while others would vote on just 1. It wouldn’t be fair.

I’ll do just that in a moment.

There’s the original book club where you’ll be able to find more normal books: Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: あなたも殺人犯になれる!

This beginner group will tend to focus more on the manga side simply because there’s more info about it then about normal child books. This isn’t on purpose. Being a book club for beginners also limits this. However, any book suggestions are always appreciated :slight_smile: There was a pool in this post and most people were okay with reading either a normal book or a manga.

1 Like

I’d like to be added. Thanks :slight_smile:

All three of you were added :slight_smile:

Oh, it was meant as a joke. Sorry if it wasn’t clear enough =^_^=
I like that we could vote for two though, so I could put one on my most wanted manga and one on my most wanted book =)

1 Like

Definitely want to participate in this. I have already read the first volume of よつばと! , is this going to be about that or the whole manga if it’s finally chosen?

I think a book club for beginners is a fantastic idea. I hope it goes well.

Not participating here since I don’t have time (although I already read books in japanese, as long as they’re simple). Just wanted to drop you guys a warning about 魔女の宅急便. While the book is flagged as very easy to read, you should be careful of the version you get since at least the one I have (both on physical and kindle) does not have much furigana. I haven’t read the book yet, but at least in most common kanji furigana isn’t used, so I’d recommend you have at least lvl 20 in WK before trying to read it.

A text I’d like to suggest for you guys, this one because I’ve read it and found it quite simple, is マジック・ツリーハウス 第1巻恐竜の谷の大冒険. It’s a translation of an English light novel, which might put off some people, but it’s written in a very simple style with short phrases and easy vocabulary, which should allow for most of you to read without having to constantly grab a dictionary.

Also it has dinosaurs, which is the main reason you all should go and buy it regardless of what the club decides.

2 Likes

Done ^^

Well, I think reading by volume would be less boring for the whole group. Not sure how the speed is going to be (pages/week). Any suggestions? :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know ^^ I was just explaining why I did it that way to everyone else :smiley:

Definitely noted for the 2nd book! :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the suggestion!

Could I be added? Thank you in advance.

Added :slight_smile:

Add me, please? :grin:

1 Like

Happily added :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s a manga of it? I found and bought it as a novel. eBay

And I agree with the Darth Vader books. They are super simple, yet still illustrated books more than a manga =)

Hi, could you please add me too.
Thanks!

I’m not sure if I would be representative, but I noticed that (the first few pages of) 魔女の宅急便 seem at least as hard to read for me as (the first few pages of) 秋の牢獄. The fraction of unknown words is about the same I think.

I would highly prefer a manga like よつばと! as then we’d have something that is really easier than what the original book club is reading… (Besides, I already have よつばと!1, hehe :laughing:)

1 Like

I think we can call it for よつばと!I’m going to go ahead and purchase it!