Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Would it be a problem to just read all 3? :joy:

8 Likes

It would probably be fine but at some point the members of this club decided on the rules and does not feel right to change them by myself (even if it was only once).

3 Likes

Do a poll for this one-off situation?

I mean, 3x6 weeks is really not that different from when we read a short manga plus a book (e.g. 6+12).

5 Likes

Actually this was not really a “all members” decision but rather one of practicality.
The background is that we want to finish a poll ~6 weeks before the reading of the polled book starts, so that everybody has enough time to acquire a physical copy if they want to. Now if we read a book that’s ~6 weeks or shorter, this would mean that the poll for the book after it would need to be finished before we even started that book. And that feels a bit bonkers. This led to the rule that the reading material coming out of a given poll should be longer than 6 weeks. Which in practice means that we choose the top two winners in case the winner is a short book.

Now we also have the opposite rule, namely that a book should not be too long. I think Radish tried to stick to 14-16 weeks maximum length (I think that’s what we discussed when I ran the Ogawa Mimei book club). The reason for this would be that if a book was longer, those who are not interested in it (or who dropped out in the process) need to wait for a long time for the next book to finish.

But this would only apply to a single book - if there are three books in quick succession, then you would always have people that can join in with the next one or may only skip one of them or so, so there is much more opportunity to engage with the club again after a short period of time.
So if the poll really doesn’t resolve itself (or if the two favorites only differ by one voice or so) and you decide to go with all three, then I don’t see this as breaking any rules, to be honest.
You could of course go with Phryne’s suggestion and poll for whether people want to read all three in one go. I currently don’t have a good idea on how to poll this without making things even more complicated :sweat_smile: but I’m confident you can work something out if you want to follow that route.

16 Likes

I don’t really mind either way, but I tend to think that deciding the three next books in a book club in one go isn’t necessarily to the club’s benefit. Book club members tend to change over time (lack of interest, moving to a more advanced book club or reading on their own, lack of time, etc, etc), and individual interests change as well. This poll is a snapshot of this particular moment. I’ve seen books do badly in one poll and very well on the next, or vice versa. If these books continue to be popular with the book club, they’ll be sure to be revoted. If they’re not, then maybe the majority will want to read something else by that time. Why decide now what the book club will read after three months or more?

How to resolve a tie then? That, I do not know. If there’s no major overlap of voters for the two favourites, I suppose it might be possible to run two clubs concurrently? Or, I don’t know, we could flip a coin?

16 Likes

Polls making things more complicated? Well I never! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

We went from a 3-way to a 2-way tie, no? (If current results hold) Why not just do one more short run-off poll that eliminates the 3rd option?

5 Likes

All we need to break a tie is to ping @ChristopherFritz since he’s holding back his vote for exactly that purpose. :wink: For all we know he set a reminder to vote one minute before the poll closes. :joy:

6 Likes

Hmm I changed my vote as ambivalent. I could change it back.

1 Like

I never knew my policy of not voting for my own nominations would result in so many ties!

9 Likes

With that the short extension to the poll is finished. The poll was very close, but in the end we got a winner and we will read Whisper of the Heart after we are finished with Shadows House.

@ChristopherFritz would you host the Whisper of the Heart book club?

Also if anyone wants to host the Shadow House club please feel free to come forward!

Edit: Could one of the regulars remove the [Now Voting!]? Thanks!

14 Likes

I secretly don’t vote for my nominations to ensure I don’t get hosting duties.

Absolutely!

14 Likes

I noticed that 5分後に笑えるどんでん返し was removed from the list of nominations in the first post.
Not sure if I missed a reason stated somewhere or something?
I know it didn’t do the best in the poll, but I thought since it was its first poll it would still stay for the next one too? :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That is a very good question! I did not delete it, as stated only Scary Lessons was sadly slated for removal. @lilyvsstar could you maybe tell us why you deleted that entry, did you by chance confuse it with your own nomination, they have very similar names.

4 Likes

oh shoot im so sorry. I was trying to delete my own entry.

I got confused because the wording of the summary is exactly the same as the one I wrote? So I accidentally deleted the wrong one.

Edit: I will try to fix my mistake and delete the one I wrote. I already finished the book and from the last vote, seems more people were interested in the other one anyway.

6 Likes

I fixed my mistake. Once again, I’m really sorry.
I also fixed the summary because it was the summary from my nomination which is a collection of a 100 very short stories that had a wide range of genres. This nomination seems to be a collection of 15 short stories that are funny, but still have surprise endings. Hope this helps!

7 Likes

The シャドーハウス book club now has a home thread!

13 Likes

How about Offshoot / Miscellaneous, don’t know it is called? After all, we already know there is enough interest.

For myself, it’s about finding companions, for others, it might be about choosing a focus.

However, I think there should be only one official winner too.

3 Likes

I know a lot of books are already lined up here (well two!), but if you’re interested in reading the manga Orange, I’ve started a misc/independent book club for it. We’re currently voting on when to start and how to read (looking like it will be a weekly schedule), and after that we’ll vote on how much we’ll read each week.

So if you’re interested, feel free to check it out:

10 Likes

Hey there guys
I have a question on the Attack on Titan manga, has anyone read it? Does anyone know what difficulty level is it? I heard that it’s considered easier than Death Note, even tho I thought that both the series were quite difficult (like upper beginner-intermediate) but I saw that Death note has a beginner book club

6 Likes