Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

I think it’s less that a short manga is preferred and mostly that short manga make up the bulk of the list (9/17 nominations, if my quick count is correct)… Speaking personally, I can say that I actually had a bit of a hard time picking this time around. While there are some that I personally have zero interest in, I had a couple that I was like… Wait. I kinda want more than 5 picks, please. Both of the 妖怪 series are interesting to me, for example, just a lower interest than some of the other picks. Either way, I hope they will hang out for future nominations, because I would like to read them at some point! It really was tough to pick this time. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t think I’d even noted that most/all my picks were short manga (in fact only manga overall). If I actually had a choice outside any specific nominations, I would love to read a book rather than a manga with the book club, because I feel more intimidated by them. But in the current nominations there aren’t any books that I find intriguing, so I ended up only voting for (short) manga.

5 Likes

You’re making me want to nominate books! Maybe I will for next round (if there’s still room for nominations) …

5 Likes

I didn’t actually realize I was (only) voting for short mangas either tbh… ^^’
Just chose the ones I found interesting
Shadows House being my absolute favourite, so much that I was even considering buying it for myself anyways - if it’s gonna be picked or not
… just sad that it’s not available from Manga Republic :frowning:

Edit:
wait… it actually is…!?!
wtf how did I miss that I was even looking it up earlier today!? :o

5 Likes

Honestly I haven’t heard of any of these before. Though I really don’t mind anything as long as it’s interesting enough and at the right difficulty level

3 Likes

The vote on what we are going to read next is still open until the end of Sunday (22 GMT). If you haven’t voted yet scroll up a but or click on this link to get to the poll!

3 Likes

Omg Shadows House is actually winning - I‘m so hyped!!!
I did end up ordering it when I realized it was available from MangaRepublic so that would be … just amazing :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

… so actually please don‘t vote anymore and leave it as is, guys :crazy_face::see_no_evil::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

6 Likes

That (kind of) concludes the vote, thank you to everyone that voted and/or nominated something!

From the 16th of July we will be reading Shadows House

@seanblue would you be willing to host the club?

Since Shadows House is a short manga we also need to nominate the manga that we are going to read afterwards. Because the second place was shared between 3 different manga we will hold a short deciding poll in which everyone will only get one vote, that poll will only last for 2 days. If by chance we still have a tie we will choose one at random.

• [2.20/L25] God Bless the Mistaken [short Manga]
  • [2.25/L19] Whisper of the Heart [short Manga]
  • [2.56/L25] Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun [short Manga]

0 voters

We also have to say goodbye to one book because it did not reach 20% in 3 consecutive polls:

• Scary Lessons (19%/19%/15%)
9 Likes

Ah, no wonder I couldn’t sneak in and change my vote to force a second-place winner for a last-minute upset. (I wasn’t really planning to!)

Good luck to everyone in the run-off!

4 Likes

So hard when I have to pick between two I want to read about equally. Picked the one that seems harder because if I get the easier one I can probably more easily read that by myself if necessary.

5 Likes

Same. :joy:

5 Likes

As mentioned in the nomination itself I would prefer not to run the club. If no one else is willing I can, but I’d like you to ask for volunteers first. (I will be sure to follow all the weekly threads and help answer questions regardless.)

Just curious, but what is the schedule plan to make Shadows House a short manga? It’s 12 chapters long, so is the plan to ease in with two weeks at one chapter each and then do the rest at two chapters per week, or something like that?

3 Likes

To add to this, it looks like chapters are consistently about 12 to 16 pages long (just a rough estimate looking at the table of contents).

2 Likes

I think they are all 12 pages, even the first chapter. I thought the first was 16 pages, but apparently that includes things like the cover and TOC, so the content is actually still 12 pages. (Well I guess 13 pages if you include the intro page.)

3 Likes

That’s even better, being so consistent. I should know by now not to go by the chapter start pages, as a lot of series will put a couple of pages between chapters, plus a title page on each chapter.

2 Likes

Oh I’m sorry I forgot about that!

Yeah I think the idea in my head, when I was deciding on what to declare as a short manga, was that we would read this in 6 weeks so 2 chapters per week. But we could also do two single chapter weeks (week 1 & 2 or week 1 & 8) and be done in 8 weeks.

3 Likes

Woah, looks super cool. I’ll have to check that out, thanks for nominating :smiley:

3 Likes

You all are doing a great job with this tie breaker. :joy:

15 Likes

Still 15 more people from the original poll (not counting myself) pending voting on the tie-breaker!

5 Likes

Perhaps they are hoping that the rule „when a short manga wins, the second place is read right afterwards“ will also be applied to the breaker :joy_cat:

10 Likes