Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Sounds interesting! I’d definitely read it on my own.

I looked at the proposal guidlines for the intermediate club and that includes a clause that after 3 polls with less than 20% of the votes a work gets removed. Now I could not find any such rule for the beginner’s book club but looked at the last 3 poll results anyways and a couple nominations did consistently poll under 20%:

• Ao’s Island and a Cat
  • Koizumi-san Loves Ramen
  • My Hero Academia
  • Magi
9 Likes

It seems that Radish applied such a rule at certain points in time, but I don’t know which exact rule that was. But I was also wondering whether we should move some of the nominations to the “retired due to unpopularity” state. If you’d like to establish a clear rule here as well, I think nobody would object to it :+1:

6 Likes

Well, if we’re not sure when it should be applied, maybe we’ll skip it this time around. :stuck_out_tongue:

(The fact that one of my nominations is in the at-risk list is pure coincidence, I’m sure…)

9 Likes

I have added the rule the intermediate club uses to the guidelines

Books that fail to score at least 20% on the last three round of voting will get automatically removed.
This approach ensures that the list remains reasonably small and dynamic.
You may nominate a removed book again, but please think about it before hand. Do you think there’s reasonable interest for that nomination?

and removed the 4 manga I mentioned in my previous post. This shrinks the list down quite a bit but I’m confident that we will get plenty of new ones until the next poll rolls around.

9 Likes

Hey @Abstormal I’m not sure whether you noticed that your nomination - Death Note - was (finally) picked :tada: and will be read soon-ish (i.e. from January 22nd if I did not miscalculate)? Are you still up for running the book club?

8 Likes

Here’s a reminder that the Intermediate Book Club’s next pick, 地球星人, starts next week! If there were ever a book worth challenging yourself for, this is the one. I’ve read it in English and consider it one of the best books I’ve ever read. Also, Sayaka Murata’s writing style typically makes for a smooth transition to intermediate reading.

9 Likes

I noticed! Looking very much forward to it! =D
Not sure I want to be the one to run it though. If anyone else who are joining wish to take the lead, that’d be great =)

9 Likes

That’s totally fine! I’m sure we can find a volunteer to run the club.

Any takers?
(It’s no problem if you haven’t run a club before, we’re all here to help each other out not only on the Japanese stuff but also on the club-running stuff :grin:)

5 Likes

I’m happy to report that we finished the current pick! Here is the Satisfaction Poll in case you want to participate (or are just curious what the participants thought about the book).

I’m looking forward to reading our next pick, which is due to start in a week’s time :tada:

Also, we’re still looking for a volunteer who wants to run the Death Note book club :grin: If you’re interested, just shout in this thread.

5 Likes

Oh man time flies it feels like we did the poll yesterday…

I would be fine with running the Death Note club.

8 Likes

A bit early but the Death Note Home thread is up

9 Likes

Moved to the intermediate book club

Retracted

笑顔のたえない職場です。

Summary

新人少女漫画家の双見奈々先生は、年上の女性担当編集者の佐藤 楓さんやアシスタントの間 瑞希さんに支えられながら、時々本人曰く職業病の激しい妄想を拗らせながら、今日もお仕事中! エンタメ業界を舞台にしたワーキングガールズコメディ、第1巻! (Bookwalker)

Nana Futami, a rookie manga artist, is at work today with the support of her editor Kaede Sato and assistant Mizuki Hazama, sometimes suffering from what she calls her “occupational disease”! A working girls comedy set in the entertainment industry!

Availability

Physical: Amazon | CDJapan
Digital: Kindle | Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

I had so much fun reading this. It is a great comedy that got a lot of laughs out of me without being overly silly. I would say it is a bit on the more difficult side of things esepcially because of all the manga/industry terminology that needs to be build up, but I felt like the density did not overwhelm!

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Funny
  • The volume can stand on its own
  • Good density

Cons

• Manga industry terminology
  • No furigana

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Bookwalker preview

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

[poll type=regular public=true]
  • 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know
[/ [poll ]
7 Likes

What is going on on page 5…

I have not read this manga, but I’ve read こみっくがーるず, which is also about mangaka. I already recognized the term ネーム on the first few pages. I do wonder where the term comes from though. :thinking:

2 Likes

That was my reaction aswell when I first saw it but it is just the main characters imagination going wild and nothing close to that is ever mentioned/shown again.

2 Likes

Understood. Is this mostly female cast or mixed cast?

2 Likes

Almost 100% female. In general it centers around the 3 women mentioned in the synopsis which takes up 95% of the first volume

2 Likes

I think I remember reading something about this a while ago: the most prominent theory relates to the fact that ネーム is old printing industry jargon for any type of printed text: i.e., captions, or speech bubbles in manga. Back before digital production, with physical letterpresses, typesetters needed to be able to know how to set up the printing press for the ネーム to be printed onto the artwork in the correct location. Since finished artwork takes a lot of time, typesetters had to be given a rough draft so they could properly prepare the ネーム locations for when the finished artwork was ready.

So the name (ha, sorry) for those rough drafts eventually just became ネーム, since it’s main purpose was preparing the printing press for that. Obviously no longer an issue with digital production being the norm nowadays, but the term stuck, regardless. (Not unlike us still calling glitches in computers “bugs”… The term came from an actual moth being stuck inside a relay in an electromechanical computer. :stuck_out_tongue:)

Here is the page that I read that talks about the theory, for posterity: Why is a NAME called a NAME? / 5 criteria to watch out for – Japanese Manga 101 #028 – SILENT MANGA AUDITION®

8 Likes

I’d suggest adding the lack of furigana as a Cons, just so that people are aware…

5 Likes

Sorry for the stupid question. Is this the right thread to read if I want to help you choose next book? Was there a poll already asking if manga style is preferred to simple story? I was too busy full November to keep up with the chat.

2 Likes