Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I’d guess that would also require some kind of admin approval though - but likewise, never deleted my account so I’m not sure!

(They did offer to run Nichijou as well, so I’m glad I didn’t take them up on that, unreliable as I am these days!)

2 Likes

And hopefully it will stay that way! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, I think it is possible IF nobody has posted any replies in the thread within the 24 hours after you’ve deleted the OP.

There have been at least one instance of the mods hiding a thread from the public because of drama, other than the “usual” just locking the thread. So I think the mods make careful considerations when it comes to such decisions :slight_smile:

I can think of one such account that got all their posts and everything deleted by admins because of that user being a predator. So not only banned, but also complete erasure of their online presence. Was back in the days before I was active on the forum.

I’ve spent a bit much time reading through old threads :caught_durtling: :see_no_evil: So much interesting stuff and history to the forum!

3 Likes

Uh, yeah, and I’m kinda worried about what would happen if people from work could make the connection with my online account (as unlikely as it is, considering they are mostly Japanese :sweat_smile:). I probably wouldn’t go as far as deleting my account, but there are a few posts I would panic delete if that were the case.

1 Like
question

Would that have been a user with “green” in their name? I’ve heard vague mention of him…

1 Like

No, that doesn’t sound like the same person. One other account suspected to be them had “oranch” (or something like that) in the name, which sounds a bit like a color, though.

(edit: it was orench not oranch anyway, and that user deleted their account as well)

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s good to know!

1 Like

I see I’m not the only one paranoid about their personal information :sweat_smile: In the end, it is up to each person how much and what they want to disclose about themselves.

4 Likes

By the way thank you, @Belthazar, for keeping on top of the thread title :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But you’re entirely lovely on the forum!

3 Likes

Haha, thank you. It’s nice to see you are more active on the forums again too :green_heart:

2 Likes

I have gone through most of the nominations now. The difficulty poll for Detective Conan is closed so I sadly can’t vote for that. Also some of the nominations have been around for a long time Oo.

Looking forward to the vote!

3 Likes

Alright, nomations are in!

I think they’re all in the OP already, but let me know if yours hasn’t been added.

I have realised that I am laughably unavailable on Saturday, so the vote will open either on Friday 21st or Sunday 23rd, depending on whether I have time on Friday. It will make for some exciting anticipation on Friday seeing whether it goes live or not!

If you haven’t already, please take the time to vote on the difficulties :slight_smile: as I said before, it’s most helpful if you can rate a fair number of them, because the ratings are only useful as a comparative measure.

(It seems Detective Conan’s poll is closed, so… no need to vote on that one! If it doesn’t win we can discuss, but I’ll leave it in for now.)

8 Likes

Vote for the next book - now!

Can I vote?

If you are interested in joining the next book club we run, you can - and should - vote!

Please look under “Current Proposals” in the first post for more details on each option, including links to sample pages which will help you gauge the difficulty.

Please take difficulty into account

Some people do find that reading a work they love or know already is inherently motivating, but please be realistic. Look at the samples and compare to others. Remember that both language and density contribute to difficulty.

Difficulty Scores

The number in front of each option is a difficulty score based on club members voting, where 1 indicates “no effort at all” and 5 indicates “so much effort my head might explode!”. These scores aren’t objective by any means, so please look at the sample pages for yourself as well.

When will we start and how many will we pick?

We will likely begin reading on the 10th of July, one week after we finish reading 日常. If a short manga (expected less than 8 weeks) wins we will also read the second place option following that without holding another vote.

List of "short" manga

At a guess, the following manga will take less than 8 weeks.

• Rainbow-Coloured Photograph
  • This Art Club has a Problem!
  • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

How does the vote work?

The poll will be closed on Saturday 29th at the latest, or sooner if voting has dried up.

You can vote for up to 4 options.

You can change your vote at any time by clicking ‘Show vote’ at the bottom.

• [2.68] Rainbow-Coloured Photograph [Manga]
  • [3.07] Ao’s Island and a Cat [Manga]
  • [2.71] A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow [Manga]
  • [2.89] Koizumi-san Loves Ramen [Manga]
  • [2.71] This Art Club has a Problem! [Manga]
  • [2.67] Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun [Manga]
  • [2.82] Magi [Manga]
  • [2.91] My Hero Academia [Manga]
  • [2.79] Death Note [Manga]
  • [3.43] Great Detective Conan [Manga]
  • [2.63] Ogawa Mimei’s Collection of Children’s Stories [Book]
  • [3.09] Scary Lessons [Book]

0 voters

7 Likes

… There are at least 2 level 1 users who joined less than a day ago voting. While it’s not against the rules, it feels weird that their votes get one of the proposals in first place exaequo right now.
I would feel a bit less weird if they introduced themselves or something. Just 5 minutes total read time? That’s like going straight for this thread, voting, and then leaving again :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

so are you saying you want the rest of us to help you stack the votes in your favor

…shall we rally the troops? :laughing:

3 Likes

I hate to suggest this, but it might be a good idea to restrict voting to trust levels 1 and higher. That way people can’t make fake accounts to skew the vote. I know it’s not a guarantee that’s what happened here, but it’s certainly suspect.

8 Likes

people are seriously that evil over our little ol’ book clubs… that’s sad :frowning:

3 Likes

Well, if you want to rally the troops to vote on my nomination, I won’t complain.

1 Like

I mean, they are voting for one of the books I also voted for, that’s how I noticed. I don’t really feel like winning that way, though. So we should disband the troops instead.

It takes about one week max to get level 1, so that could be an option, since we do leave the poll up for nearly a week anyway. Worst case scenario, they would manifest themselves and we can wait a bit before closing the poll (or manually factor their votes in).