Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Fun Fact: You can press J to go the next post (and K to go to the previous post). Using this, I verified that the blue dot disappearing is just an animation and you don’t actually have to wait for it to disappear for the post to be marked as read. If you scroll back up, the blue dot has still disappeared.

3 Likes

So, going directly to the end of the thread works? :stuck_out_tongue:

It does not. You have to still view each post, even if only for an instant.

2 Likes

I know we discussed this before, but should we remove the member list from this topic? I think it has just become noise since we don’t know who’s still participating. Personally, I prefer membership polls for each book, and even that only tells you approximately how many people you’ll have for chapter one.

6 Likes

I agree - I think the membership list for this thread is pointless.

I think some kind of “I’m in!” thing is a good idea per book though. I’m sure people won’t update it if they drop out, but they’ll hopefully be slightly less likely to drop out (and you can’t unvote :wink: ).

I don’t think it should include options for intention, because that’s not helpful to know. If they do get it / start it they’ll be excited and prompted to vote then.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m catching up
  • I’m sitting out

???

My only reservation is that having to post on the thread to ask someone to add you to a list can be a good way for a lurker to say hello and feel welcomed. They might then be more likely to post questions and participate more fully and so on.

2 Likes

Would you have that poll each chapter or only for the home thread?

My instinct is to say probably just one for the book, and remind people about the poll each time a new chapter thread opens? But given that I haven’t participated before I’m sure you have a much better idea of what would be most helpful and the most likely to actually work ^^

Nah, I have no idea either. :slight_smile:

Probably the most “accurate” way would be to have a poll per chapter, but I feel like that could become obnoxious. So I agree with you that doing one per book is probably best.

Haha! Well if you don’t know I definitely don’t know :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess people never mind answering polls :wink: so maybe having a new one each chapter wouldn’t be so bad. Then you’d get a better sense of how the readership changes over the series, and it might actually be a nice way of getting people hyped for each new thread, too.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll give it a shot and if people complain I’ll stop.

2 Likes

you can never have too many polls

7 Likes

You writing up any of those nominations soon? I’m really curious how difficult people will find のんのんびより.

@seanblue @fl0rm @Radish8

Excuse my late response, I had to take it easy for some days because I hit my head - always be careful on wet floors, friends. :sob:

Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate your time. I will be sure to focus on grammar studies this month. And that is a good point about how exposition is going to be more wordy, that’s good to keep in mind. It sounds like its certainly worth a shot. I have a lot of free time before the fall semester begins again so this will be good to work on.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that - hope you are doing better now!

i so badly want to see the girl who leaped through time!:grin:

To continue on with nominations, here’s my nomination for のんのんびより. (@fl0rm, I didn’t feel like waiting for your nomination, and I figure you have a whole bunch of others you were planning to nominate anyway. If there’s anything else you want me to add to the post, let me know.)

のんのんびより (Non Non Biyori)

Summary

From AniList:

Elementary school student Ichijou Hotaru has moved with her parents from Tokyo to the middle of the country. Now she must adapt to her new school, where there are a total of 5 students in the same class who range through elementary and middle school ages. Join their everyday adventures in the countryside.

Availability

Amazon.jp: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/404066521X
eBookJapan: 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan

Personal Opinion

Non Non Biyori is a slice of life story in a country setting, so it’s a nice, relaxing read. While I didn’t love the first season of the anime, it really grew on me and I really enjoyed the second season. I expect reading the manga to be just as fun.

The manga has furigana for all kanji, for what it’s worth. From the pages I tried reading, it’s actually more difficult than I expected, but doable (In retrospect, the difficulty shouldn’t be surprising because it’s a seinen manga.) Maybe I was just tired, because when I read it again it wasn’t that bad.

Pictures

I had a hard time finding representative pages, so here’s nine pages total.

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Pages 19-21

01_019

01_020

Pages 30-32

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
0 voters
2 Likes

@Naphthalene Are there any manga that give you trouble?

1 Like

I haven’t tried reading it in a while, but Last order is pretty challenging. One does not simply read a wall of technobabble (without any furigana, of course).
I should probably try again now, though :thinking:

I can stop voting in the polls if you want, by the way.

I’ve been reading the English translation of that, and honestly, I can never keep track of who all the secondary characters are…

Though since she looks old for her age, and the others look young, she looks like the oldest of the main characters depsite being second-youngest.

Hey, as long as you vote it all of them it won’t skew the vote haha.

1 Like