Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I won’t participate per se since I already read it (except the last chapter) on my own. But I’ll pop in to answer questions when I can.

With that said, I’m much more interested in trying to read ご注文はうさぎですか (Gochiusa). I already have the first two volumes but haven’t done more than skim a few pages. Maybe someone will want to read that after you finish Yotsuba volume 2.

I miss you guys :heart: for the none of you who noticed I disappeared on September 20, hurricane struck, left us without so much as cell phone signal for more than a week and by then life was a blur of darkness and sweat and annoyance. But life is slowly normalizing and I already own this book (though I’m still too low level for it, I’m sure).

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hi, I’m alive!

12 Likes

I remember from the book club. As Yotsuba would say: いいやつ!

Glad you’re safe!

4 Likes

Well I closed the manga club poll. I had it up for a week, and it only got a few votes. LOL! Maybe another time. For now I’m going to study some grammar and try Kiki again in a few months.

My vocab isn’t there for this book. But I was curious, at what level would you expect someone to be able to read that? I feel like, for solo-learning, reading will be a really good way to learn. Just need to find when it’s the right time to read and what books.

Honestly, I think that if you make it the people will come, there are plenty who want to get into reading, and a manga club would be a goo start.

4 Likes

Sorry I didn’t respond earlier - I’ve only just seen this!
Yes, I would 100% be interested in a beginners manga club!
I feel really upset that when we were choosing the next book no one suggested that while Yotsubato gets a month, Kiki would get six months and that then there was no guarantee to return to Yotsubato.

Can I request to be a member of this awesome book club for beginners? :slight_smile:

EDIT: Nevermind I just went ahead and added myself already

I am in for a beginners manga club. I have tried some Yotsubato books. I know they are supposed to be easy, but one of the Chapters is called Global warming! Not exactly beginner kanji. Ha! Anyways, I am up for the challenge and learning.

Thanks, glad you all want to do this.

Happy new year to all!

1 Like

I am planning to buckle down and start reading around level 10. That’s when Tofugu says you can start children’s books and easy sentences as I recall.

Im focusing on WaniKani and grammar right now. Also, I found out my local library has a foreign language children’s section and I picked up a couple of picture books from there. Can’t read much but I’m learning plenty of new words.

2 Likes

The foreign languages children’s sections in libraries are so wonderfully useful for getting a feel for language in “real” usage. Also it’s nice for confidence building :smiley:

1 Like

It is not building my confidence yet :tired_face:

2 Likes

Hi guys!

As mentioned by a previous few posters, we’re launching a よつばと! Reading club. Please come by if you’d like to take part. We’re currently polling to see when would be the best time to start with volume 2.

Look forward to seeing you there!

1 Like

It looks set to happen!
There’s a poll here for the start date!

Hello !

I would like to be added to the book club members. Thank you very much in advance :slight_smile:

Done! Check it out :smile:

1 Like

Omg Thank you!!!

Please add me to the member list. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m new to this site and haven’t yet figured out all the bells and whistles. I’d like to join this club, and learn to read with everyone! Can someone please add me, or else, instruct me on how to add myself. :slight_smile:

Welcome! I went ahead and added you to the list :slight_smile::books: