Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 夜カフェ

Can we go ahead and ‘close’ the poll now? I think people have had enough time to vote, and we’ve basically all determined that it’s going to be Kiki next anyway. :wink:

2 Likes

Kiki has been in the lead with 6x% vs 3x% since the start (last number has changed a tiny bit, but always stayed at 60 and 30) So I think we can call it. I think many have already bought the book and will hopefully be ready when it starts.

Those who want to join and haven’t bought it yet should go ahead and do so =)

And I agree on the slow pace =)

1 Like

I just want to point out that the ebook(no furigana) have left out a lot of kanji words that are above a certain level (i don’t know how old the target audience is)
things like ふつう・だす appear without kanji

1 Like

Do we have a schedule for this book yet? I’ve seen people suggesting schedules, but when are we actually starting the book? Will it be right after よつばと! or are we leaving a gap?

Good question - I don’t think we’ve decided that yet. Since Yotsuba ends this weekend, I think we’ll probably need at least a little bit of a gap (say a week) to get the schedule organized and make sure that people have had time to get the book. It might also be helpful to know how many people already have the book. If everyone has it already, there’s less of a need for a gap, but it doesn’t make sense to start if a lot of people are still waiting on their books.

• I have the book and I’m ready to go!
  • I’ve ordered the book and it should arrive within the next week
  • I’ve ordered the book and it should arrive within the next 2-3 weeks
  • I haven’t bought it yet, but I’m planning to buy the e-book
  • I haven’t bought it yet, but I’m planning to order a hard copy

0 voters

1 Like

The plan was to wait one week after Yotsuba, but since we waited too long before starting the poll and only now decided it would be fair to wait a little longer just so everyone get their book before we start. I know many understood it might win and already bought it when it first had the lead on the first poll, but we should still wait for those who ordered it now that we announced it as winner.

Lets see what this poll say! *I love polls, good way to actually get everyone’s answers collected in a nice way *

2 Likes

As for next time, we should start voting on what to do after Yotsuba 2 as soon as we finish Kiki, start the voting during the 1 week pause and have a decision basically before we start reading.

1 Like

I 立ち読み’d the e-book, actually. Also, there may be people who have already bought the e-book – not in the choice.

I have the book could be both I guess =)
You already have it and are ready to go, book or eBook doesn’t mater.

2 Likes

Yes, I meant for “I have the book” to include either the hard copy or the e-book version - as long as you have some version of it. :slight_smile:

The only reason I listed e-book separately for “I don’t have it yet” is because e-book delivery is basically instantaneous, so those people won’t need extra wait time even if they haven’t bought it yet.

It seems there are 2 people who won’t get it until 2-3 weeks, and 2 who haven’t ordered (so depending on shipping speed might also come in the same boat)
I suggest those two order it as soon as possible if they intend to join from the start, and we wait 3 weeks (maybe start the Sunday/Monday in almost three weeks from now. (December 10/11)
A week earlier if people insist. And from now on start the vote much much sooner so everyone can be ready before the previous ends, to give less of a gap.

As for Christmas, in the Intermediate group we are checking if we should have a brake for Christmas week due to absence.
I’m setting a poll to see how people will be over Christmas (This poll is for an overview of peoples schedule, not the decision)

Will you be able to read during the Christmas Holidays?

• I will have more time than usual even! =D
  • Just the same as usual =)
  • Will have less time, but should be able to keep up…
  • I will be able to read, but not be active in the forum
  • I will not have time

0 voters

Could you add me to the list of members for reading this book, please? I just voted in the poll that I wouldn’t get this book for 2-3 weeks, but about 2 minutes after I clicked to vote, the postman just delivered my copy, so in fact I’m ready to go!

1 Like

My order on Amazon.com (from a third party seller in Japan) has shipped and says it will arrive between December 4th and December 22nd. There’s no tracking information so I just have to hope it gets here on the earlier side.

Where did some of you order from that you got it so quickly? Or have you already had it for a while?

That’s quite a range you got there xD

Last time i ordered from Amazon Jp it took less than a week to arrive here(Canada). Let’s hope it will be the same for you.

I ordered mine from Amazon jp.
I ordered it earlier this year, but it arrived in less than a week (cause priority shipping was the only shipping offered)

I hope it arrived quickly! Let us know once you get it! =D

I ordered mine second hand from Amazon UK from a sellercalled Samurai-Media, and it only took 14 days to arrive from Japan, much earlier than the stated expected delivery date.

I ordered from Amazon.com because it’s like half the price and I’m usually not in a rush. I’ve never actually ordered from Amazon.jp. Does it take foreign (specifically America) credit cards without issue?

@SolidSam Ordering used on Amazon.com from sellers in Japan always has crazy ranges like that. Some of the sellers, if you order now, say it would arrive from early January to early February, though I never order from sellers that ship that slowly.

@jane235 I hope that will be the case for me too. There’s no logical reason it should take more than three weeks from when it shipped, which would be the beginning of December.

I buy from JP all the time, with a Norwegian card. So should be no problem with American too =)
They don’t usually offer low shipping though, Priority Shipping only! D=
I hate that, I wish they had a low price option as well… They send in 3-7 days with DHL and on door delivery… That’s not what I want, I rarely need it that quickly and I don’t want to pay for home delivery =/

1 Like

I’m in America and I’ve ordered from amazon.jp several times with my credit card. Shipping is more expensive, so I usually buy in bulk to make it cost-effective (when I ordered Kiki, I also bought Yotsuba 2 and a couple other things). It is always much faster than ordering Japanese stuff from American Amazon, though (occasionally, one item will have a longer listed shipping time than the others, but in my experience, it’s still been fast even when that’s the case).

Yeah, I feel like the “in bulk” part is key. It’s not really worth the extra cost for one item, especially since I’m not usually in a rush.

1 Like