Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Yokoi. :slightly_smiling_face:

The Book Blub?

8 Likes

Yeah, got lazy. :sweat_smile:

Intermediate book club / beginner book club.

Anyway, long story short, since I struggled with this Manga more than the intermediate title at the time, it might not be easier than that. :slight_smile:
(and maybe the beginner book club should be easier than the intermediate)

@seanblue I just had a look again - a lot of the first chapter is setting the scene. It seems pretty manageable, and there are chapters like that later on, too. They’re just not the majority.

If course, I too probably suffer from perception bias. I remember this being a real struggle, and gave up on this where I did not on Kino. Maybe had this been read in a club, it would have been okay. Maybe it’s not as hard as I remember.

Of course, if people want to read it, I’d be interested in a book club’s collective take on it.

1 Like

Well I was just mentioning it in case people thought it would fit. I got scolded last time I nominated something so I’ll pass. :laughing:

I think at this point I’ll just wait and vote for 霧の向こうのふしぎな町.

3 Likes

:sweat_drops:

That one’s also getting my vote! :blush:

1 Like

I’m ready!!! <3

Haven’t even gotten it out of the plastic yet, been sitting on my shelf like this since spring :stuck_out_tongue:
Also got two from new series, which I’ve been reading slowly (not prioritized it enough)
Which is what triggered me to get the set in Japanese as well =^_^=

I have the collectors edition in English, would definitely recommend we do that one! (In Japanese of cause) Bigger and better quality, plus it’s twice as much :wink: (I believe they are two and two full mangas, making it easy for those jumping in with standard version as well. And unlike Aria nothing got moved around :stuck_out_tongue: )

Fruits Basket was one of my very first Anime, and possibly my first Manga in English! <3
One of only three that I own on DVD :wink: (others being Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood)

I don’t mind Naruto going of the list. It ain’t gonna win. It got replaced with an even better one! <3
When I read through the comments I realized I NEED to nominate this one, but hey, beaten to it! <3

14 Likes

So, about Fruits Basket…
There was a comment about the art quality in the discussion, and picking up the manga again thanks to the reminder, I realized there is actually quite an improvement!
It IS a new story, so we could technically vote on the new one if people prefer it over the old.
I have yet to read it, so also thanks to the person who spoke about it for keeping it spoiler free :wink:

And since I haven’t read the new I can’t say if the story is as good or not though. Found I was still very much in the beginning, since I have prioritized club reading =P
But I love it so far, which is impressive considering how little progress I’ve made O_o

One of the first pages of old:

One of the first pages of new:

The style is very much the same, but the quality is definitely higher!

9 Likes

Alright, now that I’ve read the first volume of 聲の形 I feel like it might be best to just withdrawal the nomination…

1 Like

Yeah definitely not for the BBC, or any bookclub. Ever. I don’t want to feel emotions.

Hell yea, I’d like Kodocha or Fruits Basket.

I am tempted to. I already read it but I’d read it again. It was cute.

1 Like

Oh well, it was a nice idea :joy:

At the very least I added an additional note to my nomination post. Up to you whether or not you want to include it in voting.

2 Likes

@Radish8 Do you mind if I update the nomination to the collectors edition?

Is that the “Another” version or something? :thinking:

1 Like

Not at all! I was actually looking at it earlier today and thinking we should probably go for that. I can update the purchase links in the OP.

2 Likes

Awesome, I can’t do right this second, but I’ll update later today. If you find the new links first, I’ll just copy from that.

I think I know what’s going to win based on the current chatter. :laughing:

4 Likes

Who knows, if we randomly start talking about something else, maybe that will win instead!

(Well, I’m not actually going to do that, but it does make sense that people are more interested in, or at least remember, the things that have been talked about more, so it could theoretically work. After all, reading a dozen posts about something probably leaves more of an impression than just seeing a nomination post)

2 Likes

So how 'bout that 霧の向こうの不思議な町?

4 Likes

I was thinking that too :joy: I feel like it’s been quite a book-heavy year so far though in terms of weeks reading a book vs weeks reading a manga, so I wouldn’t mind another manga before 霧のむこうのふしぎな町 :wink:

@ninjaflautist90 I think the links are correct now?

3 Likes

Back to back? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, the Another =)
But personally I can only vouch for the original though, and don’t know if people will feel more lost reading it (not sure if they presume we have read the original or not)
So to be safe I guess the Collectors Edition of the original is the best bet =)

2 Likes

Yuru Camp, yes?

4 Likes