Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I’d do it. Give a nudge to whichever book you’d prefer to read more than the other front runners.

I suggest Shimeji Simulation. :grinning:

Unless your vote is a curse that cases the ranking to fall, in which case, don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I know it’s only temporary and is ever changing, but Conan’s gotta check his glasses at the momentary standing:

7 Likes

No, that’s totally fine.

1 Like

Oh wow, I am surprised Conan is tied for first. Happy though. You can do it Conan.

2 Likes

I’m kinda surprised hanako kun is so low down the list! I expected it to be higher honestly. Maybe because the title is so weird? Or because no one really knows or has heard about it?

4 Likes

The story sounds interesting, kind of like Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter.

1 Like

That’s what I was hoping for too, but it’s not looking so great this morning :frowning:

totally off-topic aside; I’ve never understood why that emoji is called “frowning” when it literally doesn’t have any eyebrows or other forehead features

Ahem, anyway. Just as a heads-up, I’ll be looking for volunteers if it’s Haikyuu or Conan :wink:

:mushroom:

7 Likes

I’m thinking about using my unused vote for evil and throwing the cat manga back into the ring. We need at least one non-mainstream pick in the top three.

If Haikyuu wins, I’ll be happy to help, assuming helping me to help you isn’t too much of a bother. If Conan wins… I will probably do my own thing for the duration.

7 Likes

I can put up the threads for Conan, if somebody else would be willing to tend to the vocab sheet (I have a hunch that we will be in dire need of one :rofl:)

4 Likes

The story synopsis doesn’t really give the feeling of reading the manga. At least in the first volume its closer to fruits basket than Harry Potter. More of a lighthearted comedy adventure with gorgeous art. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha :grin:

I love the Haikyuu anime to bits, but that’s kind of why I’m not interested in reading it. Too much effort for something where I already know what happens :sweat_smile: but honestly, if people are up for a more challenging pick, it might be nice to have something with a male protagonist for a change :joy:

Thanks both :blush: (@NicoleIsEnough)

:mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

I need the male and female gender symbols for FokaBoku but there aren’t emojis for them? :frowning:

7 Likes

I’ll have to pick up a copy and put it on my never-ending list of things to read. It’s always good to have good recommendations, even if they don’t get picked.

2 Likes

They’re in Unicode, aren’t they?

Same. It was one of those oddball picks for me (like Laid-Back camp). I’m not super into sports, but it grabbed on and didn’t let go. I’m pretty sure I have picked up a ton of useful vocab like “Nice Save!”, “Don’t Mind”, and other equally useful everyday vocab :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

もういっぽん!

Now I have to look things up? Jeez…

:male_sign: :female_sign:

13 Likes

I believe that while a frown in the UK includes the forehead, in the US it’s primarily the mouth

9 Likes

変人速攻!

7 Likes

Whut? :exploding_head:

hmmm…

:upside_down_face:

Problem solved!

8 Likes

I quite concur with Nicole: :exploding_head:

How do you even… do that?! And what do north americans call it when you wrinkle your brow? I have so many questions.

6 Likes

I went to sleep and FukaBoku is not winning anymore :anguished:
Mixed feelings about Haikyuu since I nominated it (and love it) but I’ve read it since. I guess I can just help around if it wins.

6 Likes