Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Yes! I really like that the first two books are such clear winners - that feels like it was really a good group decision :+1:

4 Likes

Hehehe, so we end up reading both in the end :wink: Looking forward to them :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Does anybody know if 日常 is on Kobo? I couldn’t find it…

That’s the first chapter of the individual chapter version, where you can buy all the chapters individually one at a time(that said, buying the full volumes is overall far cheaper than buying the individual chapters because it’s 330 yen * 4-5 vs 730 yen for four to five chapters :slight_smile: And the first two chapters can be read for free online anyway, so even if you wanted to buy the individual chapters instead of the full volume there wouldn’t be much of a point in getting those two)

4 Likes

ok thanks!

1 Like

btw i would happily run the 日常1club!

2 Likes

Thank you! I wonder why it didn’t come up when I searched :thinking:

1 Like

@Abstormal!

Would you be able to clear something up about Scary Lesson?

The link in your nomination goes to this volume of the series, but your picture is of this volume. The linked one seems to be first in the series in that it appears first in the list on BookWalker :grin: but that’s literally all I have to go by as they don’t seem to be numbered.

1 Like

I’ll have to double check later, but the one with the candles should be the first book. I think the one with cats is one of the next ones in the series =)

1 Like

Wasn’t sure I wanted to buy more books (have so much to read already and not much money to spend, so mainly voted for books I already own)
Read the first line about the winner, " Love Me for Who I Am follows non-binary" sold! fine, getting all 4 :rofl:
Had I read closer I would have voted for it myself (as I am non-binary) :wink:
While at it I also grabbed the first book of the second one, cause shipping sucks. So I’m in I guess =P

9 Likes

Oh, that’s great! Looking forward to reading it with you, and I’m curious to hear what you think about the story and how the MC is presented and everything.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how these book club things work. Will we be reading all 4 volumes or just the first? Fukaboku has been on my list of manga to read for a while now and it’d be amazing to be able to do so with others

4 Likes

We are only promising to read the first, but off-shoot groups who read the rest happen quite often =)

5 Likes

I once read a reddit post which summed up nicely my own feelings about gender:

i’m afab (assigned female at birth) but i’ve always had trouble with understanding exactly what it means to be female, what it means to “feel” like a certain gender. like even most binary trans people say they experience their gender strongly, and they transition because of it. but i just don’t get this. i don’t have any strong feelings towards being female (or male).

So I’m not sure it counts :thinking:
It’s like a feeling “well, if I would wake up tomorrow as a man, it would be fine, but being a biological female is also fine, whatever.”
Since I don’t care, I’m usually just using female grammar forms because it’s nearly impossible to use gender neutral language in Polish (some people are trying to create something now, but it’s not really widespread).
You can’t even say something like “I ate a sandwich” without marking your gender.
And I’m usually not thinking about gender until someone starts imposing something on me because “girls should do X”. :stuck_out_tongue: But I guess even people who 100% feel like a female don’t like hearing “girls should do X”.

Btw, this manga isn’t only about non-binary, there are also transgender people and homosexual people. Actually, I was a little annoyed, because I felt like there is not enough spotlight on the main character :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

That counts =)
If you feel strongly enough that you are non-cis, then you are.
I’m somewhere around there myself. Though I used to be on the fence if I should transition to male, as that’s how I mostly felt (my own self image is very much male) But the process is long and hard, so I ended up just staying gender non conforming. I dress more male than female, and only last year did I start wearing feminine clothes/dresses. First time I’ve ever felt like it, and enjoyed being more feminine. So right now I see myself as more gender fluid, though leaning more male than female.

5 Likes

I’m just gonna say now, there’d better be this much discussion in the actual reading threads :grin:

10 Likes

Thank you :blush:

For outward appearances, I usually go with practical.
I would gladly remove my breasts completely if it would be easy, because they get in the way. I try to avoid wearing bras. (Although that’s also because of sort of touch sensitivity.)
I have an endometriosis, so it would be nice to remove certain organs for it to go away too. (Pain level is acceptable on contraceptive, but still.) (Technically they already cut out one of my ovaries because of it.)
I mostly wear gender-neutral clothes, but during summertime I happily use the dress option because it’s just better for hot days.
For the weeding, I was torn between a dress and a suit, and was too nervous about picking a suit, so I went with a dress. Family was shocked anyway, because it was casual and purple, and not white and lacy. And my shoes were nearly flat, and not high heels, unbelievable. And since I didn’t buy any bouquet to hold during the ceremony, guests brought some with them and forced them into me.
And I don’t do make up.

I was just complaining in コンビニ人間 thread about book clubs not having enough plot discussion, so now I have to set a good example :grin:
Of course, I also can’t be talking with myself, so I have hopes for others participants too. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Haha my thoughts exactly! But it seems like we need them faster than you can create them :rofl:
(which is amazing in its own right!)

5 Likes

This is late but I wanted to share my own experiences. I also identify as non-binary but it manifests very different for me. I was born amab, thought I was a trans woman for like a year or so and somewhere along the line I noticed things didn’t really feel quite right. It felt much better for sure, but it seemed something was off. After much exploration later I realized that for the most part I am still quite feminine, but binary female is not what I am. I like to use this label called girlflux which has best described me I feel though the definition used in the link I sent doesn’t describe how I feel completely 100%. The way it manifests for me is that my gender is usually somewhat feminine, going anywhere from fully female (very very rare) to agender, anywhere in between, and even sometimes on the masc end, usually feeling more like a femboy than an actual man. I hope that made sense ^-^

5 Likes