Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Yeah, the books always seem to fluctuate wildly depending on whether people are gunning for a book in general or not; they definitely have the most variable scores. I’d imagine that having Kiki running again has definitely dampened any appetite for another book alongside.

I was up for Kuuku though, cos it looked so light.

I know just how you feel :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same! :sob: (…but well, maybe some time (soon) in the ABBC :D)

…and Skip Beat in last place. I get why it ended down there but still seeing my favorite manga in the last place hurrrrts :sob: :sob: :sob:

3 Likes

I was really attracted by the idea of reading harry potter. After briefly flirting with the idea I had to be honest with myself; I wouldn’t understand anything and it would be painfully slow going. However, Harry Potter is so popular that I am sure it will be read again in the future.

3 Likes

I am fairly sure I’ll be completely lost with Harry Potter too, way above my level :rofl:
But having it in English and duo read means I can “keep up”, and I happened to own it already :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

I just saw that volumes 1-10 of ハイキュー!! are currently free to purchase on Rakuten Books :exploding_head:
Here’s a link to the first volume. If you scroll down a bit until ‘シリーズ商品:「ハイキュー!!【期間限定無料】」’ you can find all 10 free volumes and add them to the basket.

Probably quite interesting for those planning on reading the first volume with the bookclub.
It seems it’s only for the remainder of the month, so hurry up!

3 Likes

This is also the case with bookwalker, but the way bookwalker offers usually work is when you reach the expiration date you can no longer access the e-book, so you would have to finish them all in the next week. It would at least be nice for the speed readers.

1 Like

Note the 期間限定. The page says you can only read them through 9/1. Purchasing them during that period won’t let you read them after that date.

1 Like

I’m not sure about this. It does seem weird that they would let you keep the volumes if other stores aren’t doing that but on the other hand I ‘purchased’ in the past another manga with the 【期間限定無料】in the title and while the page for it does no longer exist and it can’t be purchased, it still appears in my Kobo library and I am able to read it. I also did get a receipt for it, which doesn’t happen in the other bookstores as far as I know.

Well, it can’t hurt to get them and see what happens in a few days.

All I can tell you is that on Amazon and I think Bookwalker you lose access to 期間限定無料 copies after the date specified. Amazon checks via an internet connection, so I was able to continue reading がっこうぐらし after the time limit by turning my kindle’s wifi off. But as soon as I turned the wifi back on I lost access.

3 Likes

I once “bought” (for free) a light novel preview on Bookwalker (the first 70 pages or so) that also had 期間限定無料 in its title, and I lost access to it after the expiry date.
On the other hand I “bought” some temporarily free stuff on Bookwalker that did not have the addition in the title, and these are still accessible.
So I also believe that the edition @Sylph mentioned will expire.

Curious to hear what will happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welp, just opened the app today and the books vanished right before my eyes :anguished:
And yet the other manga I got with the 【期間限定無料】title is still there. Pretty confusing.

1 Like

Oh, that’s really sad, isn’t it… Maybe the other manga has a different time limit? I think when I had bought a book with such a time limit, the book was still there afterwards but I could not read it any more? But maybe I just don’t remember properly.

The time limit is supposed to have passed and the page for it doesn’t exist anymore, but I can still read it.
But now I wouldn’t be surprised if it randomly disappears one day. We’ll see.

1 Like

With how I’ve mentioned the series a ton of times on the forums, there’s obviously no way I won’t mention in every thread where I’ve mentioned the series that the first volume of 不可解なぼくのすべてを is currently free on bookwalker and booklive(and 100% points back instead on kindle). Other than that there’s also a small sale on the second volume :slight_smile:

(I also remember that more people than I thought would voted for it in the previous poll, so seemed worth mentioning :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

Yeah, I actually thought it might win / sneak in second at one point :cry:

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’ll have the necessary reading skills by then, but I’d love to read 「ハイキュー!!」 since I love the anime (my profile pic speaks by itself). I think I’ll try to join the next Absolute Beginners Book Club (in November) and hopefully, I’ll be able to read 「ハイキュー!!」with you guys as well. Although I think it’s a bit tough to read two books simultaneously for someone who has never read a real book in Japanese :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Usually there are very helpful vocab lists and advanced learners who can answer all your grammar questions, so I think that once we get to ハイキュー it might really be able to propel you forward in your learning! I look forward to seeing how it treats you when the time comes. :smiley:

3 Likes

Nice :grin:
I’ll try to enhance my grammar until then since that’s what usually hits me the most. I’m a little bit perfectionist when it comes to reading so I end up losing a lot of time trying to understand everything and I give up in the end. I think it might be a bit challenging, but let’s see how it goes.

3 Likes

We’ve just started Shimeji Simulation!

If you’d like to try it out without committing to the full thing, you can read the first two chapters for free on comic.pixiv. That will let you join in with the first two weeks of the book club - if you want to keep going, you can purchase the eBook at that point :slightly_smiling:

7 Likes

Hello hello hello…

We need a volunteer to run Haikyuu!!

I won’t be reading the next manga, so I need a volunteer who would be happy to run the club. I’m totally happy to provide any guidance needed, although you’ll need to have participated in a previous Beginner Book Club pick.

It starts on the 12th of December, so the home thread needs to go up sooner rather than later, but I can make the skeleton of that at least if we aren’t able to sort something out in the next few days.

A glance at the contents suggests it will take about eight weeks, so you’d be finishing up around the first week of February.

Please be honest about your level of enthusiasm for doing this, so that if we have multiple volunteers it’s clear whether some of them were reluctant offers and whether some were super keen :grin:

6 Likes