Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

I think probably all the manga apart from Fruits Basket (and maybe Detective Conan) are short enough.

Also, total aside: I’ve been finding comic.pixiv.net super useful for getting an idea of what a manga is really like :thinking: being able to see the whole first chapter is quite different from a few pages.

1 Like

Even better: Now each entry has one vote more than the one below it :slight_smile:

(sorry, this is probably weird English; might be easier to express this as a formula ^^)

3 Likes

Woah, I thought you meant just the top three, but it’s completely perfect!

Also, lol, Laid-Back Camp. Will it never catch a break? It literally lost out last time in the second-place runoff…

1 Like

We need a picture to commemorate this moment!

Summary

You could always vote for it. :wink:

18 Likes

This is a different moment. I checked between your and radish8’s posts and it was at 35 voters and not perfect :sweat_smile:

Thank you! The whole thing won’t fit on my screen, haha :grin:

I cooouuuld, and I probably will. I didn’t vote for it initially because it doesn’t have furigana and after Kiri I was kind of hoping for “the easiest manga available” :stuck_out_tongue: and then it looked like it was gonna win anyway, and then I didn’t want to ruin the perfect pattern…

Actually, I’m impressed at how well Haikyuu!! is doing. It wasn’t looking so hot in the previous polls.

1 Like

Welcome to the book club! You must be new here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, tell me about it. My own nomination is coming dead last…

8 Likes

And mine is just one above. Why are our suggestions always doing so poorly? :frowning_face:

Edit: correction, they are now tied for last.

6 Likes

All my picks are low in the race :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Also known as the “君の名は effect”

5 Likes

Mine is also pretty low, so maybe we’re just all really bad at nominating things other people will be interested in

6 Likes

I reckon it’s cos they don’t have an animu ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’d be interested in reading Fukaboku as a spinoff at some point if others would also like to. Just… maybe not right now :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Could it be our tastes aren’t WK mainstream? :anguished:

Also, I want to read yours as well, but I don’t have enough votes for that :frowning_face:

(Edit: not sure that sentence makes sense. I mean that I can only vote for 4 things; I had to chose :cry:)

8 Likes

Fair warning:

I will probably close the poll tonight, because the votes have slowed down and I anticipate we might be doing a runoff for second place.

(if there is a tie for first place we will just read both)

9 Likes

@Radish8 do you have any idea of what WK level most kanji in Laid-Back Camp goes to? It looks like this one might win, and the lack of furigana is the only thing that might stop me joining in with this pick (because I’m only level 15 right now so looking stuff up could be too painful to stay focused on the story). :slight_smile:

If it does win and my WK level is too low for comfort, I’ll read it later as a late lurker!

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure of that :sweat_smile:

But if it does… I’m afraid I’m not sure how the kanji content relates to WK level. I read the first two chapters maybe a year and a half ago, so the vocab sheet will be pre-populated at least with all of the kanji-containing words for the first two chapters, and I would try to do some kanji lookup ahead of time to mitigate the lookup pain for others…

4 Likes

I’m just glad Scary Lessons have SOME votes! :rofl:
Maybe one day! Maybe one day I’ll give up and just try reading them on my own. I bought ALL of them! :rofl:

7 Likes

What… where on Earth did Fruits Basket just come from? I loaded the page, and Laid-Back Camp and This Art Club were neck-and-neck in the lead, so I decided to revoke my This Art Club vote to put Laid-Back Camp more in front, and somehow in that time, Fruits Basket gained five percent of the vote.

5 Likes

I would assume Japan, like most manga :slight_smile: More seriously, that is indeed a fast jump :thinking:I voted for it though, so I don’t really mind.

6 Likes

I have no interest in it, though.

In fact, I have negative interest in it, so can I cancel out someone else’s vote? :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes