Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Probably not “or later”. Usually there’s only a one week break between books.

@Radish8 The deal (even if only available to those in the U.S.) might be reason enough to make sure the polling is closed a couple days before September 5th.

1 Like

I just thought I’d mention that there’s another coupon right now from Amazon Japan for free shipping to Hong Kong, Taiwan or South Korea if you buy 5 books for more than 2,300 yen. It’s listed on the same page as the one for the U.S.

Promotion Code: 5BOOKS
Minimum purchase requirement : 5 books or more, totaling over 2,300 JPY
Please note: To become eligible for this promotion, You must choose AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping as the shipping method and ship destination must be Hong Kong, Taiwan or South Korea. This offer does not apply if you choose Amazon Global Priority Shipping

First time I saw that one I didn’t see the fine print mentioning the location. Imagine my disappointment. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Oooh, okay. In that case I might bring the nomination deadline forward. Don’t think anyone else has mentioned desperately wanting to nominate something anyway.

Edit: looks like we will instead be opening voting on the 31st, and aiming to close the vote by the 3rd of September (the 4th at the latest).

And just to clarify, we will likely be starting the next pick on the 19th of October - @Mokumokuren

6 Likes

That coupon annoyed me because it said “free global shipping” but it applied to a whopping THREE countries.

“Global…”

I’m glad they finally gave the US something and hopefully they’ll eventually extend it to other regions. I would pay for Amazon Japan Prime in a heartbeat if it applied to orders shipped via Global Priority.

Back to the next pick… is Scary Stories considered nominated?

3 Likes

thank you for including so many purchase links :purple_heart:

yep!

1 Like

Will this work for kindle books too?

Ohhhh Nominations time! Flying Witch and 聲の形 are nominated :OO thanks @morpheme and @seanblue.

I intended on reading those eventually, so I might be participating on the next book/manga chosen too :eyes: :eyes:

3 Likes

Please rate the nomination samples!

Voting will be opening on the 31st of August (the deadline for nominations has now passed), and usually stays open for 3 - 4 days.

Before the vote opens we need you to rate the difficulty of the sample pages included with each nomination (links in the OP).

As I said before, it’s most helpful if you can vote on a range of the nominations (if not all). If you just vote on the couple you’re most interested in, it won’t give us such a useful comparison of the difficulty with the other nominations.

Please also give me a ping if I’ve missed adding your nomination to the OP!

7 Likes

Having now read the first three volumes, I wouldn’t really even recommend it for book club. The first volume is too depressing to be read on its own.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot about this - I’m thinking we should remove it now? There have been a reasonable number of new nominations and they seem quite popular…

Does something go in the ‘removed’ list if it never even appears in a poll? :thinking:

I’d probably remove it. I’m worried people will vote for it because of name recognition and then be disappointed/upset. I don’t really care what you do with it, but if you choose to move it to the removed list you can say that it was done at my request. Sorry @jprspereira. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Ohhh depressing stuff I like :eyes:

Yeah, don’t worry. Remove it if you want. I’ll go for it sooner or later either way :man_shrugging:

lol I thought I was on Discord for a moment with those spoiler tags :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Burn maybe it will make them join an off-shoot club instead!

1 Like

Chrome still isn’t liking the links for me, so I’ll just scroll back and find the nominations that I haven’t voted on yet.

If I get a chance today I’ll add the topic title in to the nomination links. Someone might need to remind me to change them all once voting opens.

@Radish8 Re your post in the other thread: I was thinking about how page count is such a bad indicator of time needed per week, but there’s not much else to go by. For example, chapters of ご注文はうさぎですか are only 8 pages long, but that takes much longer to read (with decent comprehension) compared to say a 36 page chapter of Aria. Or basically any other manga I’ve read for that matter. Just thinking out loud. :thinking:

4 Likes

Are we voting yet?
hype intensifies

3 Likes

Vote for the next book now!

Our next pick will be the tenth book we’ve read together as a club! :tada:

Please look under “Current Proposals” in the first post for more details on each of the options, including short summaries and links to sample pages.

Difficulty Scores

Each option has been assigned a difficulty score, noted in the poll, based on club members voting, where 1 indicates “no effort at all” and 5 indicates “impossible even with help”. These scores aren’t perfect comparisons so please take a look for yourself at the sample pages of options you’re interested in, if you have time.

We will likely begin reading on the 19th of October, one week after we finish reading 一週間フレンズ. If a short manga (less than 8 weeks) wins we will also read the second place option afterwards without holding another vote.

The poll will be closed on Tuesday Morning (the 3rd, UK time).

You can vote for up to 4 options.

• Nordic Girl Åsa [Manga] [2.40]
  • Ao’s Island and a Cat [Manga] [2.79]
  • Flying Witch [Manga] [2.13]
  • Laid-Back Camp [Manga] [2.83]
  • Love Me For Who I Am [Manga] [2.29]
  • Fruits Basket (Collector’s Ed.) [Manga] [2.89]
  • Skip Beat! [Manga] [2.50]
  • Neighbourhood Story [Manga] [2.57]
  • Haikyuu!! [Manga] [2.63]
  • Attack on Titan [Manga] [2.73]
  • Great Detective Conan [Manga] [3.35]
  • Scary Lessons [Book] [3.24]
  • Mysterious Town Beyond the Mist [Book] [2.58]
  • Porepore Nikki! [Book] [3.00]

0 voters

6 Likes

I updated all the nomination post links in the OP to include the topic title and the Chrome new tab bug still affects them. Raaaaaaage. Afraid people will just have to ping back and forth from the OP to the nomination posts in one tab (or copy and paste the topic title into the address bar after it messes up).

@seanblue yeah I was thinking about that too :grin: Aria’s always more like 35 - 40 pages but I find the dense 4-koma format takes waaaay longer to get through.

2 Likes