Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Oh yes! A Bookdurt!! <3

3 Likes

I don’t know if anyone already has volume 2 of Non Non Biyori from when we did that with book club, but I bought volume 2 at the same time as volume 1. While I didn’t love the first volume, I still want to read volume 2 eventually to not have a forever-unread book sitting on my bookshelf. This would be a one time thing though, not an ongoing splinter book club. If enough people are interested, I think in a few months would be a good time to do it.

• I already have volume 2 and would like to read it with you
  • I don’t have volume 2 yet, but I would buy it to read it with you
  • I’m not interested in reading volume 2 with you
  • Go read it on your own @seanblue! It’s good for you!
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

Too many other commitments, sorry D:

2 Likes

ohsothisisfinebutharuhiistoomuchhuh

jkjk

4 Likes

I haven’t read the first one, but in a few months I might join you! I want to read almost everything :eyes:

2 Likes

For the same reason I can’t do Haruhi right now. :joy:

2 Likes

If anyone was looking to jump in on the Aria train, now’s your chance. :eyes:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273727970989

Aria gondola.

12 Likes

Didn’t know where else to post this…

Did anybody else see that thread just now which completely disappeared?! Someone was basically providing a set of books reviews. I’ve never seen a thread totally disappear before.

1 Like

They even read 獣の奏者! I had this lovely reply prepared and I was about to post it:

I loved the anime as well! This is on my list of books to read sometime next year probably. I’ve read the first book of 魔女の宅急便 and 時をかける少女 with beginner book club, but I don’t think I’m ready for 獣の奏者 yet. I’m planning to read another two or three books this year (harder than the two I’ve read), so hopefully next year I’ll be ready for 獣の奏者.

Have you read all four books at this point? If so, are the third and fourth books as good as the first two?

@KazeTachinu Did you delete your post or did it just disappear?

1 Like

Oh good, I thought I was hallucinating :joy:

I didn’t think it was possible to delete threads.

Oh great, so I didn’t just hallucinate that due to my obsession with books.
That’s good to know.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! The post was apparently hidden by the spam detection system until a moderator manually approves it, so it should appear again in a while.

Good luck with tackling 獣の奏者! Don’t let the initially overwhelming vocabulary discourage you, it gets a lot easier after a while, although there will always be some spikes now and then.

I’m currently reading the third volume (which is pretty massive with 560 pages), and so far it’s just as good as the previous volumes and gets back to some questions raised in the very first (!) chapter of book 1. I don’t want to spoil anything, but there’s a big timeskip between book 2 and 3, so I can definitely see why the anime ended at that point. Having a 30+ year-old protagonist would’ve probably alienated a part of the target audience, though for me it has lost little of its magic.

7 Likes

Oh, I want to check it out, but it doesn’t have furigana, so later :eyes: Thanks for the recommendation though!

1 Like

I had no idea that was even a thing! Perhaps it’s because of your trust level / being a new member. Still pretty weird that it displayed it initially. I was literally in the middle of reading when it vanished :joy:

Ah, probably because you just joined the community 24 minutes ago. Welcome to the community!

I knew that it was basically two separate two-book series that are related, so that makes sense. Please post an update to let us know if you liked the whole series once you’re done. :blush:

In case you were interested, the intermediate book club is starting Kino’s Journey in two weeks:

And here’s a master list of book clubs too:

4 Likes

@FlamySerpent:
If furigana are the problem, check out the Aoi Tori version. It’s 8 volumes instead of 4, and they have lots of furigana.

@seanblue:
Thanks again! I’ve read around the book clubs yesterday. Not sure if I will join for Kino since I will be traveling at that time (ha, how fitting!), but since you’ll be reading it over the span of many weeks, I might join after all. I don’t care so much about light novels in general, but Kino is definitely one I’m interested in. Liked the first anime adaption a lot, and while the second one was a bit disappointing overall, it still had its moments.

2 Likes

Oh thanks, I didn’t think that was the same book!:DD I will check it out later, I still need to read a lot of books and manga :eyes:

1 Like

It might be a bit hard regardless. It’s got a lot of fantasy elements!

1 Like

Yeah, I guessed that if you said it’s still hard:DD I want to read fantasies in the future, so it might be one of my goals. But thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes