Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

Nah, I’m still here. If the Candy Shop wins, what is likely to happen, I will probably at least try to read it here. I’m probably not able to keep the pace of the rest, though.

2 Likes

I kinda have it in the back of my mind to be like “I’m gonna read such and such, if anyones wants to read with me I’ll make a thread” but at the same time I don’t want to help split up the community when some people have limited time. It’s nice having so many people reading 時をかける少女!

3 Likes

:grin: in all seriousness though, you should definitely read whatever makes the most sense for you at the time.

2 Likes

It was a reference to laid-back camp. No one got it? :cry:

2 Likes

No, but I haven’t read it in Japanese yet. Hint, hint. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I only read the preview :stuck_out_tongue:

I got it. It was the kanji you didn’t know that caused you to vote “Minimal effort” instead of “No effort at all”.

8 Likes

I’m glad. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did too! You’d hope I would, given we had a whole exchange about it… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The vote is getting close again. We have a race!

1 Like

If one of the manga wins we can probably still read the book if it gets second place. Not the other way around though.

By the way, what is the difficulty (in numbers) of the current book?

How would i know if i am ready to start reading a beginner book? I’ve been learning Japanese and just wrapped up with an actual class. I want to expand my possible resources.

3 Likes

After so much scrolling, I found the actual poll, and it says 3.31.

1 Like

At the time it was voted in, its difficulty had been rated at 3.31. You might find it more helpful to look at the poll itself though, because then you can compare to other picks.

1 Like

Oh my goodness, it’s linked in the OP - please don’t scroll that much!

Probably the easiest way to gauge whether you could read the book we’re going to be tackling next would be to find the nomination post, which will include sample pages. You can have a look at those and try to gauge whether you could manage them (with a dictionary and help from us, of course).

We’re currently voting, so it’s not decided yet, but you can see the current nominations, with links to the sample pages, in the original post.

If you think it would be too difficult, you could check out the very newly-formed Absolute Beginner Club, and/or consider Graded Readers.

4 Likes

You could check the first pages of a book on Amazon or iBooks to check how you fare. That’s also why for all the proposals people post a few pages of text from the book/manga so everyone can try to read some of the text and get a feel for it (and a baseline to vote on the polls).
But usually the book gets easier once you get used to certain vocab recurring writhing the book and also to the writing style of the author.

Oops :slight_smile:

That didn’t occur to me - I just checked the list of proposed books but of course it was no longer in there, so…

Good to know, for next time :joy_cat:

1 Like

Click here to look at sample pages of the book currently likely to win (scroll down the post to the samples), which also happens to be about the easiest in the poll.

My personal opinion is that it’s never too early. Well, I mean. One might want to learn the kana first.

4 Likes

I went to the Japanese bookshop today and checked it out. They didn’t have the first volume so I didn’t purchase any, but I have to admit those are very nice looking books.

2 Likes