Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I saw that in Kinokiniya today. The manga, too. Almost bought it, but decided I should probably focus on the books I’ve already bought.

I did, however, buy 日本人の知らない日本語, which I’m considering nominating sometime…

3 Likes

And yet, I still bought it :thinking: I’m keeping it as a ‘future goals’ book :wink:

5 Likes

I currently have half a shelf of future goals books. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Half a shelf as in a row? Or as in floor to ceiling?

1 Like

A row. Not all of us are heathens. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Made me nervous for a second there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have half a shelf (row) of unread Japanese books, but they aren’t really stretch books. In consists of the rest of Aria the Masterpiece, the rest of ご注文はうさぎですか, volume 2 of のんのんびより, volume 1 of 少女終末旅行, 時をかける少女, and Penguin Highway. I’m fairly certain I could read all of those with a decent level of comprehension, even if not in a timely manner.

I haven’t actually ordered any of my actual stretch books yet. Those include things like 空ろの箱と零のマリア (hopefully could read in a year or two), 魔法少女育成計画 (also hopefully in a year or two), and 新世界より (hopefully could read sometime ever :sweat_smile:).

少女終末旅行 (Girls’ Last Tour)

Summary

The series follows two girls, Yuuri and Chito, as they navigate the ruins of civilization after an unknown apocalypse, and as they travel in their modified Kettenkrad, they seek food and supplies while surviving day-to-day. [Wikipedia]

Availability

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/410771781X
eBook: 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan (has the first two chapters in full in the 試し見る.

Personal Opinion

I thought the anime adaption was interesting, if a bit slow. But I think the slow pace will work better in the manga than it did in the anime. I think it’s good for beginners, despite not having furigana (at least the first two chapters were very easy).

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• No furigana, but the kanji overall isn’t bad (based on the first two chapters)
  • Short chapters (usually 18-20 pages)
  • Interesting setting

Cons

• Yet another slice of life manga.

Pictures

First Few Pages of Chapter One

p03

p04

p05

p06

p07

Additional Pages

p28

p29

p30

p31

p32

p33

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)
0 voters
7 Likes

Judging by the first few pages, I think I can kick back and relax reading this… (famous last words. knock on wood)

7 Likes

I already have this “for future reading”, so I’d probably be into that.

@seanblue, do we have a deadline for when nominations need to be in by?

Oh…just me then… ^^;
I have a basically full shelf (floor to ceiling) of mostly Japanese stuff, most of it unread ^^;
So half a shelf (floor to ceiling) of unread Japanese material at least (2/3 manga, 1/3 books)
A good bit of it is being covered by the various book club branches (all of Yotsuba/Aria), while others are thing mentioned here that might become future material (I will re-nominate some of them), while others are things I’ve picked up myself =^_^=

I need to know too, I want to add a few =P

1 Like

@Radish8 @Abstormal Let’s say the deadline is October 5th so I can open the poll on October 12th.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks!

Just long enough for me to be able to procrastinate horribly and then panic the day before :grin:

5 Likes

I’d totally be in for penguin highway or porepore Nikki :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Porepore Nikki looks much easier than Penguin Highway!

1 Like

Yeah a lot less kanji. Penguin highway is a 5k unique word book I think? But the tsubasa bunko version or w/e has a lot of furigana coverage. The original doesn’t have much if I remember right

Yeah, from what I’ve looked at it seems like fairly easy language. It’s probably just too long for the book club, though - we’d be reading it for a year :stuck_out_tongue:

I just wanna do a novel :sob:

4 Likes

Haha, I know, I think @seanblue feels the same ^^

You should nominate porepore nikki properly though - you’d even be able to give us all the deets on word length and so on :wink:

Was my nomination not proper enough?:sweat_smile:

2 Likes