I’m very friendly to anybody who feeds me at whatever time, so that doesn’t sound right
What do radishes like to eat anyway?
But especially stroopwafels. And pickled onions, I like those a lot.
What is FloFlo?
You can get a list of vocabulary from a particular book, which is ordered by appearance and can be filtered by the frequency at which the words appear, and then load them into an SRS to learn them.
So for example, before reading 時をかける少女 I pre-learnt all the words which appear 3 or more times in the text, and now that I’m reading it I’m using it a bit like a prescient dictionary and learning any lower-frequency words which seem useful / will appear in books I want to read in future.
Nooo! They give hugs!
Poll for the next book is here!
Please see the
List of Proposed Books section in the first post for the details for each book. Every book has a difficulty associated with it (based on book club member voting) out of 5, where 1 means “no effort at all” and 5 means “impossible, even with everyone’s help”. The difficulty based on the book club member voting is next to each option in brackets.
We will most likely begin reading on February 23rd, one week after we finish reading 時をかける少女. If a short manga wins first place, we will also read the second place winner right afterward.
I will close the poll within a week, whenever it looks like voting has dried up. You can choose up to 8 options. Additionally, now that we have a significant number of nominations, anything that gets very few votes will be removed from consideration for the next poll.
- チーズスイートホーム (Chi’s Sweet Home) [Manga] [2.00]
- しろくまカフェ (Shirokuma Cafe) [Manga] [2.50]
- あたしンち (Atashin’chi) [Manga] [1.77]
- 北欧女子オーサが見つけた日本の不思議 (Nordic Girl Åsa Discovers the Mysteries of Japan) [Manga] [2.33]
- 一週間フレンズ (One Week Friends) [Manga] [2.38]
- 少女終末旅行 (Girls’ Last Tour) [Manga] [2.24]
- ゆるキャン (Laid-Back Camp) [Manga] [2.70]
- ご注文はうさぎですか (Is the Order a Rabbit?) [Manga] [3.47]
- 放浪息子 (Wandering Son) [Manga] [3.41]
- ハイキュー!! (Haikyuu!!) [Manga] [2.62]
- ナルト (Naruto) [Manga] [2.85]
- ドラゴンボール Dragonball (The Complete Edition) [Manga] [3.00]
- 名探偵コナン (Great Detective Conan) [Manga] [3.29]
- 進撃の巨人 (Attack on Titan) [Manga] [2.85]
- 日本昔ばなしアニメ絵本 18冊全巻セット (Japanese Fairy Tales - Set of 18 books) [Book Set] [2.00] (NO EBOOK)
- 絶叫学級 (Scary Lessons) [Book] [3.29]
- ふしぎ駄菓子屋 銭天堂 (Zenitendou, The Mysterious Candy Shop) [Book] [2.21]
- トラちゃん (Tora-chan) [Book] [3.58]
- ポレポレ日記いざ流星学園へ！ [Book] [2.94]
- キノの旅 (Kino’s Journey) [Light Novel] [3.38]
[Until Wednesday: checking nominations] Intermediate Japanese Book Club (Now Reading: Kino's Journey)
Officially accepting bribes
Am I the only thinking that キノの旅 is far way more difficult than the other options? I feel like it’s better to read it in the intermediate book club and go easier on this one book club
@Naphthalene was the one that nominated it, so are you really surprised?
From the samples I read, it’s definitely harder than most, but I think ご注文はうさぎですか is harder, and from what I remember トラちゃん was harder too. (And that is pretty much reflected by the vote averages too, for what that’s worth.)
I mean, I’m naturally biased simply because the vertical text itself freaks my brain out I’ve totally read a bunch of books, haven’t I?..
But I do think @Naphthalene deserves some love. I guess reviving the Intermediate Book Club was a good thing to do for everyone.
Why am I nervous!?
I’m surprised 少女終末旅行 is getting votes. I’m super into it, but I kinda expected no one else to be.
@jprspereira Honestly, I might not vote for キノの旅 even though I want to read it, because I think it might be too hard for the beginner book club.
Well, if we do get the intermediate book club running again, it’s definitely better to read it there, I agree.
(But with everyone being busy, I’m afraid that we will just keep talking about remaking the club instead of actually doing it; I should give myself a deadline or something.)
Yeh, I got you my fave Sean. I did vote for it because @neicul totally bought my vote, but I’ll keep an eye on it. At this point, I feel like キノの旅 is granted to be winning the Intermediate Book Club if we nominate it there, so I’m not worried
Let’s see who finishes first: you relaunching the Intermediate Book Club or me finishing よつばと！ Vol 1.
It’s gonna happen within the next couple months no matter what.
How about we do the opposite?
You relaunch the Intermediate Book Club and I finish よつばと！ Vol 1?