Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

That book does seem interesting, but I already own 時をかける少女, so I’ll be voting for that.

I’m gonna vote for both unless they’re neck and neck, and then I’ll have to make some tough decisions :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Added now! :+1:

2 Likes

Just making note of those who expressed interest in reading 時をかける少女. Don’t mind me. :eyes:
If anyone else is interested let me know.

I’ll be reading this version: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4046310073

People

ditto20
Freann
hachiken
icefang97
Kyasurin
Kyayna
MissMisc
Naphthalene
Radish8
seanblue
SleepyOne
Sylph
Toyger

Chapters / Schedules
Chapter Start Page Page Count Initial Schedule Adjusted Schedule A Adjusted Schedule B1 Adjusted Schedule B2
理科教室の黒い影 6 5 Week 1 Week 1 Week 1 Week 1
ラベンダーのかおり 12 7 Week 2 Week 2 Week 2 Week 2
地鳴りと震動 19 6 Week 3 Week 3 Week 3 Week 3
夢と現実のあいだ 26 4 Week 3 Week 3 Week 3 Week 3
きのうやった問題 30 5 Week 4 Week 4 Week 4 Week 4
くるった火曜日 35 6 (7 if including partial pages) Week 4 Week 4 Week 4 Week 4
今夜まで待て! 42 5 Week 5 Week 5 Week 5 Week 5
パジャマを着ていた 48 6 Week 5 Week 5 Week 5 Week 5
そのとき暴走トラックが…… 54 5 Week 6 Week 6 Week 6 Week 6
見つけた、”相談相手” 59 5 Week 6 Week 6 Week 6 Week 6
時間を跳躍すること 64 5 Week 7 Week 7 Week 6 Week 6
四日前のあの現場へ 69 6 Week 7 Week 7 Week 7 Week 7
夜さまよう町かど 75 5 Week 8 Week 8 Week 7 Week 7
きのうへの旅、おとといへの旅 80 5 Week 8 Week 8 Week 7 Week 7
ふたたび現場にきた 85 5 Week 9 Week 9 Week 8 Week 8
侵入者はだれか? 90 5 (6 if including partial pages) Week 9 Week 9 Week 8 Week 8
未来からきた少年 96 5 (6 if including partial pages) Week 10 Week 9 Week 8 Week 8
西暦二六六〇年 102 5 Week 10 Week 10 Week 9 Week 8
意外な告白 107 4 Week 11 Week 10 Week 9 Week 9
未来人・現代人 112 5 Week 11 Week 10 Week 9 Week 9
その名はケン・ソゴル 118 4 Week 12 Week 11 Week 10 Week 9
消された記憶 122 5 Week 12 Week 11 Week 10 Week 9
いつか会う人 127 4 Week 13 Week 11 Week 10 Week 10
時の女神 134 7 (8 if including partial pages) Week 13 Week 12 Week 11 Week 10
姉弟 144 6 (7 if including partial pages) Week 14 Week 12 Week 11 Week 10
きつね 152 3 (4 if including partial pages) Week 14 Week 12 Week 11 Week 10
8 Likes

I actually just ordered it, so you can add me to the list.

4 Likes

I ventured into book reading territory recently and since it’s going well so far (for most of the time, curse you chapter 4 :rage:) I think I’ll be up to read 時をかける少女.

And Kindle version is on sale now (only 300¥) :eyes:
I only have to figure out how to order from there and set up my Kindle

2 Likes

I think LucasDesu was just helping seanblue with this:

2 Likes

The sale expires 金 1:59. Does that mean 1:59AM for sure? Because that’s only 40 minutes from now… Any chance it means PM?

I think the sale is until 10/11, it says that on the ebookjapan page for the book as well (and from my experience, ebookjapan and amazon have had items free and/or discounted for the same periods of time)

It says 開催中10/5[金]1:59まで.

Oh, well then :see_no_evil: I couldn’t see it anywhere so I was speculating, ignore me c:

No worries. All I can do at this point is see if the sale is still available tonight. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I bought it just now and it seems the sale is still going on.

1 Like

Haikyuu!! - ハイキュー!!

Summary

Junior high school student Shōyō Hinata gains a sudden love of volleyball after seeing a national championship match on TV. Although short in height, he becomes determined to follow in the footsteps of a star player, nicknamed the “Little Giant”, after seeing his plays. However, his dreams are destroyed in his first official match, where his team suffers a crushing defeat against the Junior championship favourite team, which includes the so-called “King of the Court” Tobio Kageyama. Hinata vows to follow in the footsteps of the “Little Giant” and enter Karasuno High School to defeat Kageyama, only for the two to wind up as unlikely team mates. By combining the genius-like qualities of Kageyama with Hinata’s sheer athleticism, the duo create a brand-new volleyball tactic. Their new combo allows them to get over their differences and creates a strange alliance between the two filled with fun and laughter for them and their teammates. Thus begins the Karasuno boys’ volleyball team’s journey to the top. (Wikipedia)

Availability

Amazon
EbookJapan

Note: It seems like volumes 1 and 2 are currently free to read on Ebook Japan (limited time offer)

Personal Opinion

I love the anime and can only assume the manga is as good. I wasn’t really into sports or volley so I think this is the kind of manga that can appeal to anyone. From what I’ve read it seems fairly simple and we also have the familiar high school setting. Most volley specific terms come from English so there is no need to learn a bunch of difficult useless vocab. Finally, I think it might be nice to read a manga that has an actual plot as opposed to all the slice of life we have been reading, and this seems like a popular and accessible choice.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Seems easy enough, uses kanji with furigana and doesn’t change setting much
  • Has an actual plot

Cons

• Some might not find subject appealing
  • Text density seems to vary a lot (see additional pages)

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Haikyuu1 Haikyuu2 Haikyuu3

Additional Pages

Haikyuuex2 Haikyuuex1

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)
0 voters
2 Likes

I’ve never nominated anything before, I hope I did it correctly :see_no_evil:

By the way @seanblue, I’d be interested in reading 時をかける少女 as well (it will probably be the death of me but I have to try at least).
Edit: In fact, after seeing that offer I just bought it so there is no helping it now.

4 Likes

I already own the physical copy of 時をかける少女, but the eBook sale was just too cheep to pass up! :rofl:
So count me in! I have it double =P

4 Likes

I just got the ebook too. I had some points so it was free.

I’m thinking about getting a new kindle soon anyway, so it should work out nicely to try it then.

Alright @Sylph, Haikyuu is now included in the first post. Oh and for those interested, volume 1 of Haikyuu is available for free right now for Kindle.

That’s it for nominations for this round! Please take the time to go through all the nominations, reading samples for the ones you are interested in, and then vote in the difficulty polls.

I will open the poll to select the next book around 10/12 and leave it open for up to a week. Like last round, if the winner is a short manga, we will also read the second place finisher. If the winner is a long manga (if we even nominated any of those) or a book, we will just read the winner.

2 Likes

I just watched 時をかける少女 on the plane! :grinning:
I am definitely in!

3 Likes

Yes, interested.

3 Likes