Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

I realize this is considered a good thing by some, but I just wanted to highlight the fact that Girls’ Last Tour has no furigana (seeing how the vote is going).

1 Like

Okay cool I will, thanks :slight_smile:

I think that’s why a lot of people are keen, yep! Compared to many manga we’ve read, it looks really quite easy, so for those who want to try tackling something without furigana it looks like a good first step.

Plus, if it wins, we’ll also automatically select the second option (because it’s a short manga). The Candy Shop book currently in second looks like it will probably be good for those not confident enough yet to try something with no furigana :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: looks like the poll is closed…

2 Likes

Sean closes too early.
I close too late.

Tbh, I was totally not waiting for the poll to close to buy the manga. I think we’ve given it enough time :man_shrugging:

I said I was closing the poll Monday didn’t I? Well it’s Monday. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, I meant that I figured seanblue had just closed it.

And therefore was excite.

Edit: see?! I never said it had closed early…

2 Likes

As @Radish8 said, the manga looks to be quite easy even without furigana. I recommend giving it a shot. If nothing else, you’ll hone your kanji lookup skills. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Like I said in the other topic I’ll probably pass altogether on this book club anyway. I was really mislead by the “beginner” thing and I don’t think I’ll manage to keep up with your rythm whatever book we pick, even an easy one.

I’d rather spend my time improving other skills :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Should I Join?

This club was created as a follow-up to the original Japanese Book Club, as a lot of beginners weren’t able to keep up with the pace there. The goal of this Beginners’ Book Club is to help you practise reading so that in the future you can take the jump to the Intermediate Book Club , where more advanced books are being discussed.

It’s important to remember that this book club is NOT for absolute beginners to Japanese. It is for people who are just beginning to read native Japanese material.

Well, if you mean by “beginner” the person who recently started, then ABJBC will probably suit you more for now:3

2 Likes

I never said that you said that it closed early! D:::::

Yeah, I had monday on my mind, but you had 23rd on the poll’s post so I got confused D:

1 Like

I just bought the books! :tada:

May have also thrown in Wolf Children as a cheeky stretch goal :wink: why I do this I already have too many books

@FlamySerpent to be fair, I think the description could be more clear - in any case, we could update the OP now to reflect the existence of the Absolute Beginners’ Club.

6 Likes

I had read that, and still I think most people here are far beyond the level described there.

1 Like

I agree, now that the ABC (wow what a name) exists, updating the desctiption is a good idea!

4 Likes

Quick question: if 少女終末旅行 is next up, the plan is to only read the first volume for now, is that correct?

Also, I think it was said that the Candy Shop one will be auto-selected (since it came in second after a short manga). Does that mean it’ll be read simultaneously or directly after 少女終末旅行?

And I just wanted to say that it’s awesome to have a schedule to stick to with reading. It really helps to motivate me to practice, and I’m seeing improvement. Although I haven’t really participated in the questions/answers discussions, I do make sure to scroll through as everyone’s input is extremely helpful in getting through the challenging bits and filling in the missing details! So thank you very much, everyone!!! :smiley:

10 Likes

:tada:
I did too, by the way! \o/ I started catching up to the current book yesterday though, so that I have something to read for a month:3

4 Likes

Yep! We only ever read the first volume with the Beginners’ Club. On occasion spin-off groups have formed if people particularly wanted to keep reading a specific series.

It will be read afterwards :blush: we do the auto-selection in those cases because otherwise we’d have to hold yet another poll in just a few weeks (so that there would be enough time for postal orders to come through).

I’m curious how you would describe the level of this group? I mean that genuinely - it would be helpful input for us to change the description. We’ve read a couple of things which I think have been too tricky for the group, but I certainly started out reading native content by tackling e.g. Yotsuba and Aria. That’s what I moved onto after Graded Readers.

Exciting! I always like these orders because they arrive after I’ve long forgotten I bought them, so it’s a nice surprise :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

The more I think about it, the more difficult I realize it is to define “beginner” in this context.

I have pretty decent grammar, so with time to look things up I could follow most of these books - but the pace would be exhausting. I’m definitely not a beginner when it comes to grammar, but I never took time to learn kanji until last year, which is what makes reading this kind of material difficult.

On the other hand, I see a large portion of people in this thread have level 30+ on wanikani.

3 Likes

But… But… This is the first book/manga I’ll read! 多分。

2 Likes

I know the question is not for me, but I remember this book club when I first started WK and I understood from the samples that it’ wasn’t for me. At that time I was doing Genki 1, now I’m trying to finish Genki 2 and have a bit of experience playing Ni no kuni on ds. Sooo that was the difference for me, now I feel like I’m ready, I’m still lacking but not that much

3 Likes

The culture of the book club has improved a lot. Much more organized, with vocab lists that you can pre-study. Believe it or not, this makes it a lot easier than when this project started.

2 Likes