Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Wellll, I did try to read Kiki and I gave up after the first chapter…based on that experience, I can’t say that I have real high hopes for being able to read a novel any time soon xD But I’ll think about it :slight_smile:
Maybe a miracle will happen and I’ll get my grammar life together between now and then :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yeah go study some grammar! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Those that finished Kiki, where was your grammar level when you started? I still have plans to read it someday.

I was mid-N4 grammar-wise. I’m not exactly that far into my grammar studies either. :laughing:

1 Like

Good to know it’s possible without finishing N3.

I’ve picked up various grammar bits from all over. I’ve been bad about just completing single grammar resource. I feel like I’ve just learned many different bits and pieces from all over the place.

How long? Manga or novel?

Cause now that I’ve gone and bought 君の名は…

The joy of book club is that you don’t need to understand everything before you start, because we all help each other.

3 Likes

Novel and it’s about 150 pages.

I ordered a copy so I was going to attempt to read it at some stage and yeah that’s good to know.

Guess what I have to add to my list of things to do this weekend.

1 Like

Wait, do you have a hotline? 'cause I need an intervention.

I spy with my little eyes bookclub-related stuff :eyes:
Also, my practice book for the kanken.

Edit: forgot to tag @Wantitled, re: all the ニセコイ right in the middle.

6 Likes

You certainly do. All sideways books? Why not just have a pile? Hell, why not just dig a god-forsaken hole in the yard and keep them there?

6 Likes

Large books would not fit, the smaller ones (manga, novels) would leave dead space at the top. Sideways fits everything!

2 Likes

The heights of my shelves are carefully set such that most of them are just the right height for the smaller standard size of manga (with a little breathing room so you can fit a finger in to pull them off the shelf). Each half (above and below the fixed central shelf) doesn’t quite divide evenly into shelves of that height, so the last shelf is a bit bigger, to fit the larger standard size.

Think for your shelves, though, the lack of sides would be a bigger issue. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I actually bought a while ago some book holders (?) to prevent them from falling. Something like this:

But I jettisoned them to save a little bit of extra space. I also sold a bunch of books.
I should probably just sell some more :thinking:

It looks that way, yes :slight_smile: Looking really good! I just build the shelf before having any idea of what I would put in it, and never changed anything. (The lazy option)

Bookends. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why, thank you. I measured it, before I bought it. Took a tape measure to Ikea and everything.

3 Likes

I think I foresee a trip to ikea in my not too distant future.

2 Likes

The shelves I’ve pictured above are Billy. At least, the ones in the first photo. Don’t remember for the second photo. They come in widths of 800 and 400mm. They’ve got the height extension on top, and I had to get two extra shelves each. Plus, there’s a bunch of others in the same range, like corner cupboards and ones with doors and so forth.

Um. Lemme Google.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/series/28102/

1 Like

I can fit you in in October! I am intrigued by the tub of wooden blocks though :thinking:

:heart_eyes: this kind of thing is why I get infuriated when paperbacks are published in non-standard sizes.

3 Likes

It’s scented wood! The blue bottle is the scented oil that goes with it. The wood absorbs it very well, and slowly diffuses the scent over time. The ones in the box are the blocks I’m not currently using. Do not ask why they are haphazardly sticking out from the box. 'cause I don’t have an answer.

1 Like

Ooooh, nice!

Your wish is my command :bowing_woman:

1 Like