Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

Oh wow, yes indeed.
That just gave me a weird experience. Somehow, I guess I didn’t read the sentence completely, and my brain was autocompleting it with 時をかける少女.
As soon as I saw your message, I scrolled back up and sure enough it was 少女終末旅行.
Kinda felt like the part in soma where (avoiding spoiler) err you suddenly see your hands differently.

1 Like

Hah. I did the same thing. Maybe it was 時をかける少女, and he’s gone back and changed it to trick us.

Hobbitses are tricksy like that.

3 Likes

It was a joke because even with the support of everyone on the planet I still probably couldn’t get myself to finish another manga. I think I’ve only read four volumes up until now. Really hate the small text and the low scan quality. I use ebooks so I really gotta squint to make out the kanji :scream:

I guess you are what you eat with Japanese. I find novels easier.

1 Like

Please vote based on the difficulty, select the “I don’t know” option, or don’t vote at all. I don’t want to skew the average. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Roger. Changed my vote.

1 Like

Much appreciated.

I tried reading non non biyori online when it won the vote initially and I couldn’t understand how anybody was able to manage it. Having now read the physical copy it does seem to be a manga with exceptionally small characters anyway, but it was still much worse online!

You’d think one of the advantages of a digital copy would be that they’d make it really high quality and you’d be able to see better by zooming in!

3 Likes

I am reading it on the ipad and zooming in, while not perfect, is the only way I can see stuff.

Maybe my dodgy eyesight matches the dodgy characters :thinking: :joy:

3 Likes

Laid-Back Camp ・ ゆるキャン

Summary

Rin likes to go camping by herself along the lakes that provide a scenic view of Mt. Fuji. Nadeshiko is determined to see Mt. Fuji after just moving to the area. After they meet, Rin and Nadeshiko take camping trips, eat cup ramen together, and enjoy the scenery.

Availability

Amazon.jp
CDJapan eBooks
BookWalker

Personal Opinion

I’ve read the first two chapters and am really enjoying it, even though I’m reading it on my lonesome and there’s no furigana. So basically the language is very manageable; it’s definitely easier than のんのんびより, for example. I think it might therefore be a great option for people to have a go at reading something without furigana. It’s been really satisfying working out what some words mean from the kanji before I’ve even looked them up.

It’s a very chill little series and I find the art style pretty comical. Not gonna lie, you will learn a lot of camping terms :stuck_out_tongue:

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Language is not too difficult
  • No furigana - good practice
  • Shortish chapters (~24 pages) so not too much to tackle in one week
  • Only 6 chapters, so it’ll be short and sweet :blush:

Cons

• Lots of camping terms (not too technical; more like lots of words for ‘fire’ and stuff like ポール and ペグ)
  • No furigana - could make it tricky*
  • Another slice-of-life (but like, a really good one, so)

*I’m keeping a spreadsheet of vocabulary as I read (and making a kitsun deck to share!), so before we even start there’ll be at least two chapters of vocab sussed out and in the sheet.

Pictures

I’m not good at photography, k?

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

Also… this guy thinks you should read ゆるキャン :wink:

7 Likes

Oooooooh 逞しい!! Detaaaa!
I learned that kanji thanks to floflo like a week ago :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bumped the difficulty from my usual “no difficulty at all” to “minimal” just for this guys)

5 Likes

Another con: Afro goes absolutely nuts with the screentones. Don’t get me wrong, I love the series, but in some panels it’s just so hard to focus…

1 Like

It looks like ポレポレ日記いざ流星学園へ has some of those annoying cases of using kana when it should use kanji. Though it doesn’t look nearly as bad as Kiki in that regard.

Other than that, it seems like a really easy book.

1 Like

Would you mind including an English description as well? Just makes it easier to check out at a glance ^^

2 Likes

I couldn’t find an official translation, so I added a (kind of rushed) translation of my own to it instead. I think it should be more helpful than google translate, at least.

1 Like

Haha, no that’s good, thanks! :+1:

1 Like

So, I have a borderline case. I want to nominate キノの旅, but it seems to have about 220 pages of text. That being said, that count includes an afterword from the author, and, since it’s a light novel, it probably contains illustrations as well.
(That being said, the sample I could check on bookwalker seemed to have a lot of illustrations at the beginning, already excluded from the page count I am giving above, so there might not be any in the main text)

My point is that it’s almost at the page limit, is it okay to nominate it anyway?

4 Likes

Should I just increase the limit to 500 pages? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, does キノの旅 actually seem beginner friendly?

Hm, it’s hard to say. It has a low unique word count according to floflo (also, it’s on floflo, which is a plus). However, it’s fairly short, so density might not be that low after all.

All chapters are basically self contained stories, which means that it’s easy for people to get back in, but at the same time it means different settings, and thus getting the usual learning curve multiple times.

There’s some furigana as well. Grammar-wise it seems fairly straightforward, I think? But I guess I can just leave that judgment to others.
So

Maybe?

1 Like

Well feel free to nominate it I guess. The difficulty vote will tell us if it’s appropriate for the book club.

I really enjoyed the anime, I would love to read it :motorcycle::durtle_love:

Edit: Ooo volume 1 of the manga is free right now! Free to download until Oct. 4th

Amazon:

eBookJapan:

2 Likes