Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I think that was the case, but its word list is available on floflo, so that should help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wasn’t 時をかける少女 under consideration by the Intermediate club a while back? If that’s difficult enough for them but Penguin Highway is too easy, that suggests it’s even harder than Penguin Highway… But yeah, I think it was taken off the list with everything else and hasn’t been renominated, in part because someone said it looked harder than Kiki?

Even if you don’t like scary stuff (I don’t really either), 絶叫学級 could be a good choice because it’s under 200 pages. And if I understand correctly, it’s a collection of short stories so if it doesn’t work out, we can stop part way without losing much.

It really is a shame that Penguin Highway is so long. If you can think of a way to make it feasible, please mention how. But I don’t see a way. :slightly_frowning_face:
By the way, which edition were you planning to buy?

As far as 時をかける少女 goes, it was removed just like everything else when we started the list from scratch. There’s nothing stopping you (or anybody else) from renominating it. I purposefully didn’t renominate it for this voting cycle, but I was planning to for the next round. I think it’s okay to nominate because if it’s too hard that should be reflected by the difficulty poll results, and then people probably won’t vote to read it.

Related to length though, 時をかける少女 is only 158 pages, so even if most people drop out like with Kiki we could be done in 16 weeks if we went the same pace as Kiki. That’s much better than the 26 weeks we took to read Kiki. Of course, I’d rather aim for 15 pages a week instead of 10 and read the book in 10 weeks, but I’m probably in the minority on that.

Those are the only books I’m considering reading right now. I also have 魔法少女育成計画 and 空ろの箱と零のマリア on my wishlist, but I’m certain those would be too difficult for me now.

I’m just going to browse a bookshop and see what takes my fancy.
You guys might be the only people who understand how excited I am about this.

Awesome :grin:

1 Like

I’m not really allowed into bookshops anymore because it’s too dangerous :pensive:

6 Likes

Aha, that would be me in craft/stationery shops. :grin:
I am already drawing up two lists: what to do while I’m there, and what to buy (and where to find it).

1 Like

I really wish there was a Japanese book store near me so I could browse. The closest one is a few hours away.

Same here. The browsing will be taking place in Tokyo.
I will be thinking of you when I’m there!!!

2 Likes

Tries not to get smug about living in a city with a Kinokuniya and fails miserably.

4 Likes

Tries not to get smug about living in Tokyo and fails miserably.

5 Likes

Oh? Are there Japanese bookshops there? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I probably have a shop at half hour away, but too lazy to go :stuck_out_tongue: amazon is my friend.

I have a local Kinokuniya, but don’t even know where to begin browsing the novels. Probably just another sign that I’m not ready for them. I can usually find things in the manga section, but I have no idea how it’s organized.

It is usually cheaper to buy from amazon.jp. I wish I could figure out how to find used manga sets that will ship internationally.

I have Penguin Highway saved to look at when my reading skills improve.

1 Like

Gah, I just wanna know what’s gonna win now!

Non non biyori is totally free to read on ebook japan at the moment and it’s taking quite a lot of willpower not to start reading it in the downtime from Aria :sweat_smile:

You think you could finish it by August 9th?

I made the voting period too long again… :disappointed:
We decided as a group to do a week. I made it more like 9 days because I was impatient and opened it before the weekend. But voting has basically dried up already…

Just saw that’s the case on Honto as well. Do you know if it’s free to keep if you download the ebook now, or does it “expire”?

Lol no :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahaha, your impatience has come back to bite you with more waiting :joy:

I’m sure there will continue to be little waves of voting whenever people comment on this thread and so on. But maybe you could see how it’s going later in the week.

I am the least knowledgeable person about ebook Japan! But I think no, from the looks of it - you can read it for free online, but if you want to buy it you still have to pay (though it’s reduced as well at the moment, to 262 yen).

As @Radish8 said, in this case you still have to pay if you want to keep it. You can only read it online until August 9th for free.

I did get the first three volumes of ちはやふる for free though. Not sure if those are always available for free or if I just got lucky.

I know! :joy:
I have to post a follow up poll about the two volume thing anyway. So it’s probably fine that there’s some more time.

Actually, that’s a point - if we’re going to have a follow-up poll, won’t that delay when people will be able to start ordering things (assuming they’ll want to combine purchases)? Maybe it would be a good idea to close the poll slightly earlier than intended, and then that extra poll won’t extend the wait too much further :thinking: