Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

@Abstormal Can you show a picture of the cover too? So people know which edition has furigana. :slight_smile:

Haha I agree but I’m also super jealous of your furigana! It looks like it’s only on harder kanji, which means it’s kind of helping you by not showing the furigana for things like 町.

Uploading the photos via phone and edit via computer =P
Added title and sorted a bit =)

Skimming through it does seem most of the kanji used are those we see in the first few levels of wanikani, I see some I have already learned by level 19 with furigana. Cat and laugh had furigana O_o
So guess it shouldn’t be a problem :wink:

1 Like

猫 is post-Joyo G6 (would any kid not know this word?) and 笑 is in G4, so maybe they’re targeting like G3 and younger.

Though, apparently, 猫 is in the 1700s in terms of frequency of use. Maybe it’s almost always written as kana.

1 Like

Really? It didn’t when I checked! But I suppose there must be so many different editions (as we can see from all the great photos people have posted here!) - I’ll keep searching! Thank you!

Thank you so much for posting those pictures eainge!
Looking at that page of text is pretty frightening!
For me, there’d be many many hours of work just there trying to read that!
Good to know, thank you!

Wow! Thank you so much for the photo comparisons!
I think they are all much tougher to read than よつばと!but perhaps that’s a good thing?
Thank you again!

1 Like

The three I voted for are the top three in the poll so far. :slight_smile:

I’d like to read よつばと volume 2 for now. I already bought it since it’s good practice. I don’t think I’ll keep up on it in the long run (since I think it’s just okay), but I at least wanted to read the second volume.

The other two I voted for were 魔女の宅急便 and 時をかける少女. I already have Kiki’s Delivery Service on my amazon wish list.

Is Girl Who Leapt through time actually a beginner book? I wouldn’t expect it to be based on the film, which is loosely based on the book.

1 Like

Yea, I know how you feel. We’ll get there though, and all we have to do is practice!

1 Like

I also own the first two volumes of ご注文はうさぎですか (GochiUsa), but from what I’ve skimmed it’s probably not beginner level. There’s no furigana and it was definitely more difficult than よつばと. Has anyone tried reading it and can give an assessment of the difficulty? If people think the level is right, I’d at least like to get it in future polls.

(I wasn’t watching this topic before, else I would have already recommended it.)

1 Like

Is it to late to join the club ? I’ve already started Yotsubato, I intend to catch up but slang and shortened word is slowing me down quite a lot (I don’t know if it it normal nor if I’ll get used to it just by reading).

Never too late! Go ahead and post any questions you have from the first 5 chapters (we’re up to chapter 5 this week) in the よつばと Volume 1 forum topic.

1 Like

I wish yotsuba was available as an eBook… because I only have the first book in English and want to read along with you guys but it wouldn’t arrive until it’s finished if i buy it now. I sometimes buy the ebook of 電撃大王 just so i can read the latest yotsuba chapter (also キノの旅 and 絶対ナル孤独者)…

Really hoping for a book to win, personally. I think it would be the more interesting challenge. Also better for people who werent here for Yotsubato volume 1.

2 Likes

yeah, to be honest, i’d rather something win that is stand alone / isn’t part of a series. also maybe something that isn’t available in another format (like kiki/mary) although maybe if you were to discount anything that was made into an anime or movie (or written based on an anime or movie) might be a bit harsh.

I understand what you are saying, but (1) you don’t need to have read よつばと!1 in order to read よつばと!2. And (2) those books are tough! Way beyond the level of beginner!

1. Those that didn’t want to join for Yotsuba one will still not want to join for the second. I think that’s what he meant.
  2. The books are too basic to be considered in the intermediate group. This wasn’t supposed to be a manga only group, and if we are to do books those are considered the best choices.

ahh, as I thought I might have done, I misunderstood the “vote multiple times” thing. I thought you could literally cast multiple votes, but you can only switch around the single “set” of which one(s) you’re voting for. (which is why I initially voted for everything)

ok, well I’ve got mine set now. I’d definitely like to read something other than よつば 2 (I still want to read it, just not for this club).

Both very good points. But I’d still say that if we went for one of those books, it could hardly still be considered a beginner book club!

If we only do manga we will never be a book club. And those are beginner books. Yes, books are harder, but those are the beginner books.

1 Like