Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I’m excited for Haikyuu since it has been decided on. Already bought the ebook yesterday. :grin: So I definitely want to read it with the book club. I’d be willing to run Haikyuu if no one more proficient in running book clubs wants to do it. :raising_hand_woman:

12 Likes

Nope! Vocab sheets are always supposed to be a collective endeavour.

2 Likes

I know this poll isn’t for real voting, but I just couldn’t resist :wink:

4 Likes

Nope, I’m avoiding new long series for now. I just felt the urge to vote in a poll when I saw one :sweat_smile:

I’m not sure how much of it the book club is planning to read, but 45 volumes is too long of a series for me. Even if the book club only reads a few volumes, I would want to finish it on my own later.

I’m actually curious if the off-shot book club will emerge :stuck_out_tongue: But I myself just don’t like starting and reading only one/few volumes and then leaving something (if I like it), so I’m especially cautious with new long things, because I just know my completionist tendencies will kick in. :laughing:

2 Likes

12th December – awesome! The semester is ending by then so I should be able to read along with the club :smiley:

You can always delete your post or replace its contents with something else (maybe that would help reduce confusion?)

Seems like you are quite ready to post and run the book club for Haikyuu. Go ahead then! :slightly_smiling_face: I’m ready to help out anytime if you need any support.

I’d say just go ahead and make a thread. @Radish8 might be too busy at the moment to reply but they said

8 Likes

Thanks very much for volunteering, and for making the thread! And thanks to @frayderike likewise and for (very accurately) pushing for not waiting on me :sweat_smile: someday I will be free

I’d just say that we don’t usually vote on whether or not to have a break - we always have a one-week break between different picks, and this thread has been advertising the start date as the 12th for a little while :slightly_smiling_face: it won’t leave much shipping time if you start on the 5th.

5 Likes

It’s no problem! Thanks :+1:

3 Likes

プラスチック姉さん (plastic older sister)

Summary

Iroe Genma is a third-year high school student often referred to as “Elder Sister” despite her short height. This troublemaking teenager is the president of her school’s Model Club, which is dedicated to building plastic models of various objects and structures, such as cars, boats, and even robots.

Availability

physical: amazon.co.jp|cd japan

ebook: amazon.co.jp | Book walker

Personal Opinion

Pros and Cons

Pros

• slice of life
  • has had an anime
  • funny
  • no weird metaphors
  • short chapters
  • fairly easy
  • just got the ebook for free
  • no furigana
  • doesn’t go in the details of model making AFAIK

Cons

• no furigana

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

2 Likes

I think you only get to keep it for free until 17th December. On Book Walker at least.

it’s a 期間限定 無料お試し版 on amazon too but i can’t find a “disappearing date”

※2020年11月13日~2020年12月10日までの期間限定無料お試し版です。キャンペーン期間終了後もお楽しみいただくには、通常版(有料)をご利用ください。

1 Like

you’re right. i didn’t see it! thanks!

1 Like

Would somebody more regular than me mind updating the title?

2 Likes

sure! i did it and this phrase has to be longer

1 Like

Thanks! Also must be longer :grin:

1 Like