Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

It’s free on Amazon as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first 5-10 pages were really easy, so if you nominate it for real I’d recommend showing some of chapter two as well so people can see more varied difficulty. It still wasn’t too bad, but definitely a little more wordy at times.

2 Likes

Sharing this here for potential ideas for nominations, I’ve compiled a list of currently free Kindle books.
ふらいんぐうぃっち volumes 1 and 2 are free on Amazon, as seanblue says.
I think Noragami (which vols 1-3 are free right now) is also a ‘beginner’ level too, unless I’m mistaken?

Food for thought, in any case.
Also did anybody end up nominating ‘Bloom Into You’ or should I?

1 Like

I don’t think anyone nominated it.

2 Likes

Regarding Bloom Into You, maybe it’s worth noting that I already have volumes 1-4, and the reason I’m not making another purchase from Amazon Japan until December (as mentioned elsewhere) is because the final volume comes out November 27th.

If it won for the book club I’ll definitely participate in the discussion and help answer questions, but like most manga I’ve been reading lately I wouldn’t read it that slowly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll put in a proper proposal-thing.

4 Likes

Flying Witch (ふらいんぐういっち)

Summary

Makoto Kowata, a novice witch, packs up her belongings (including her black cat familiar) and moves in with her distant cousins in rural Aomori Prefecture, in the far north reaches of Japan, to complete her training and become a full-fledged witch.

Availability

Amazon Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/1945054093
Ebook Japan: ふらいんぐうぃっち 1巻 (別冊少年マガジン) - 石塚千尋 - 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan

Personal Opinion

I’ve only just started it, so don’t have much of an opinion except that it seems quite light and funny, and slice of life about country life. The magic/supernatural aspects are secondary to the day to day life.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• It’s also available as an anime, which seems quite faithful to the book.
  • First two volumes free on ebookjapan and amazon (thanks @Sylph for the intel)
  • Most chapters aren’t too wordy.

Cons

• May be too easy or too light on text.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

One of the wordier spreads - this is about as dense as it gets.

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

7 Likes

Probably only for a limited time so grab it fast!

2 Likes

At least on Bookwalker it is only available until August 22th midnight in Japan - that is 14 hours to go…

I don’t know about the other sites, though, but I assume their deadlines are somewhat similar.

1 Like

I bought the anime on DVD a while back, but haven’t gotten around to watching it. Then I added the preview of volume 1 (English) on my tablet, and never got around to reading it. (Too many other English-translated manga I’m reading right now.) I’d definitely be interested if this came up in the club.

Funny thing, I searched for “ふらいんぐういっち” on Kobo’s web site, and it returned zero results and says:

“Sorry! Your search for “フライングウイッチ” did not return any results.”

Searching by author (石塚千尋) works, though. First two are free there as I type this, so I made sure to snag them =D

Nice art style :smiley:
That’s a lot of strong nominations this time :slight_smile:
aka I really hope something I want to read wins this time.

3 Likes

It seems that the second い in the name is also small: ふらいんぐうぃっち
(that’s how Bookmeter displays it to me…)

3 Likes

Aha, that was it!

1 Like

Sock puppets.

Provided “something I want to read” is Yuru Camp. If not, ignore this post. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’d probably add the fact that there’s a light amount of dialect to the cons list. Her cousin has a slight accent if I remember rightly. There’s a part where she speaks to her totally unintelligible uncle, but given that Makoto doesn’t understand a word he says it probably doesn’t matter if we don’t either :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t remember it being particularly easier than other things we’ve read :thinking: but it was the first manga I ever read and I don’t have it hand to compare right now.

I’d definitely be up for reading it again with the group - give me a slightly easier ride for once :grin:

4 Likes

I’m thinking about nominating my all-time favorite series: Skip Beat! :thinking:
I don’t think it’ll stand any chance but I really want to read it in Japanese one day and it might be rather sooner than later if it’s a beginner’s club pick, so I can at least try and nominate it :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I picked up the free volumes of ふらいんぐうぃっち because it was mentioned and nominated (well and if it wins, I don’t have to pay money then :smiley: )

2 Likes

I would definitely be down to read Skip Beat since it’s my favourite shoujo and I’ve been planning to read it in Japanese one day too :slight_smile:

1 Like

スキップ・ビート! (Skip Beat!)

Summary

Kyoko Mogami is a 16-year-old girl who discovers that her childhood friend and romantic goal, Sho Fuwa, only keeps her around to act as a maid and to earn his living expenses, while he works his way to become the top pop idol in Japan. Furious and heartbroken, she vows revenge by beating him in show business.

Availability

Amazon (Book & Kindle): https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00DMU91X2
CDJapan: CDJapan : Skip Beat! 1 (Hana to Yume Comics) Yoshiki Nakamura BOOK

ebook
bookwalker: スキップ・ビート! 1巻 - マンガ(漫画) 仲村佳樹(花とゆめコミックス):電子書籍試し読み無料 - BOOK☆WALKER -
booklive: スキップ・ビート! 1巻 - 仲村佳樹 - 漫画・無料試し読みなら、電子書籍ストア ブックライブ
ebookjapan: スキップ・ビート! 1巻 (花とゆめ) - 仲村佳樹 - 無料まんが・試し読みが豊富!電子書籍をお得に買うならebookjapan

Personal Opinion

It’s one of the first mangas I’ve ever read and it’s only one of three series that I still follow up to this day. Needless to say, it’s one of my favorite managas and the best shoujo series for me (because it actually isn’t a typical shoujo story imo). It has many comedic elements but has its serious moments, too. The story and all characters are well developed.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Kanji with Furigana
  • Real-life story with comedic elements
  • Well written characters and character development (not particularly in the first volume, though :sweat_smile:)

Cons

• It’s still ongoing and a long series with 43 volumes so far.
  • Started in 2002, so the art style is a bit old-fashioned in the beginning.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

10 Likes

Fun fact that no one is interested in: I’ve been reading and following this series for way more than half of my lifetime :joy:

5 Likes

Whatever the pick turns out to be, am I correct in thinking that it would start October 19th (or later)? I ask for the purposes of planning an Amazon JP order.

For anyone located in the United States who’s interested, Amazon JP is currently running a promotion “Get a 1,000-yen coupon when you buy 3 books or more (until September 5, 2019)”

*During the promotion period, make a purchase that meets the minimum purchase requirement (3 books or more in a single order with the shipping address in the United States), apply the coupon code “US3BOOKS”, and receive a 1,000-yen coupon to your account automatically after one day of your order has been delivered.

2 Likes