Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I have taken the liberty of voting for a book I think is better suited for beginners, even though it’s not actually a book I particularly want to read.

still not sure if that was the right thing to do or not :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d rather see Kino’s Journey lose here and then read it with the Intermediate Club. The sweet shop book actually looks pretty intriguing!

@Belthazar, our Laid-Back Camp propaganda is working! :grin: surely it’s now safe for another round, at least…

I am super happy to at least do an initial pass of this whenever. I just (a) don’t want to barge in when I’ve never participated in the club without a go-ahead and (b) would want to know how much it should reflect the OP of this thread.

Is there a general consensus that nominations should be wiped, do you think?

5 Likes

I don’t know about everything else(or well, I’m mostly not confident I’d do it well enough), but I could at least nominate some new books after the other stuff is done.

3 Likes

We can also initiate the list with e.g. the Wolf Children nomination from this thread, and Kino’s Journey (assuming it doesn’t win here :fearful:).

Oh, and @seanblue - I thought maybe there should be a caveat to the nomination purge here, that each nomination gets to appear in at least two votes? It seems a bit harsh if something gets nominated and then removed after one vote - the results can vary quite a bit from vote to vote.

2 Likes

There is a super beginner book-club.
We’re currently reading なぜ?どうして?Though I think there’s no plan to continue it after that book? From what I’ve read. Unfortunately.

2 Likes

Yep, but that’s a pretty key difference! I got the impression that marcusp was open to the idea of reading others in the series after that one, but at the moment it’s a club for that particular book, rather than an ongoing book club.

Edit: ooh, I just read the latest comments. That’s a shame, honestly. I think it would make for a good book club.

1 Like

If i interpret the latest posts correct, the book club will end after なぜ?どうして?

I would be quite interested in a super easy book/manga reading club. Sadly most of the things choosen in this book club are stilm to difficult for me :confused:

I would be up for almost any manga reading, you could always start a new thread and recommend some stuff to read. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Candy Store book is doing pretty well! We just need to poach the members of the the なぜ book club :wink:

2 Likes

I’d be up for one too.
I’m currently reading WANTED which is pretty readable so far. I was going to nominate it here but missed the deadline.

Sure, seems reasonable. Either way, we’ll have to keep the number of nominees limited to 20 so that they can fit into a single poll.

Also, for what it’s worth, it took me over an hour to go through all the nominees, calculate their difficulty scores, and update the main post to include this information. It’s not difficult to do, just tedious and somewhat time consuming.

4 Likes

Of course, yep. I guess if the Intermediate Club ends up with one or two of the harder manga nominations as well (I think you were talking about Wandering Son?) that would also free up some spaces.

Yep, I’m planning to unilaterally remove a few of the more difficult items from here after this vote. Right now I’m thinking 放浪息子, ご注文はうさぎですか, キノの旅, and トラちゃん.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind helping out with that, or something else that isn’t all that difficult(I feel like I do enough difficult stuff otherwise already), if someone wants me to. I imagine it could be a bit much for one person to try do do everything in both clubs(+make the aria threads) if we actually manage to start up the intermediate book club again.

3 Likes

Aye, so I noticed. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Maybe I didn’t get it, but I don’t think it has to stop, just that Marcusp isn’t going to be in charge anymore. It just needs someone else to step up…

3 Likes

I could help out too, if there’s something that I might do. An hour of tedious work can be really tiring sometimes

2 Likes

Don’t worry, if I start running (or mostly running) the intermediate book club, someone else will take over here. :slight_smile:
We can discuss that in more detail later though. No need to decide anything now.

3 Likes

Ok, let’s make this practical. I’ll be responsible for changing the main post of the Intermediate Book club today or tomorrow. If I find any problems/something I don’t know how to do it, I’ll let you guys know.

3 Likes