Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I think there’s also an element of spoiler-avoidance. I don’t know the plot of the story exactly, but I’ve seen the anime and in the past have read the Wikipedia page for the book, so there’s a limit to how much I can speculate on future events. Perhaps books without anime adaptations would naturally have a little more discussion as a result.

Raionus would probably add it if it were picked though :slightly_smiling_face: it’s not a given, obviously, but at worst we could nominate it to be added and then all vote for it on Patreon :stuck_out_tongue:

@Elenakiyomi I think 時をかける少女 proper is about 120 pages of text, for comparison.

2 Likes

That book looks pretty easy (too easy for me probably). Plus since it’s targeting kids it’s missing a bunch of kanji. I need to finally read a book with proper kanji usage.

1 Like

This absolute jumble of romaji standards packed into a single word makes my soul hurt. Only way you could have made it worse would have been to write, like “shyōjou” or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hahah sorry! I just know how to make things appear correctly in Japanese :sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I’ll keep the total 160 since I suspect that there are a bunch of pictures in this book, but I don’t know how much space they take

1 Like

Yeah, it’s tricky to compare properly without actual copies of both :blush: your nomination certainly looks like it would have a few pictures.

I think it may be a bit too easy for me, but the description seems right up my alley (got a bit of a petshop of horrors vibe from it actually) so I’d definitely read it if it was selected… And maybe if it isn’t. Thanks for pointing this one out!

2 Likes

The summary reminds me so much of ショコラの魔法! (Amazon JP Link)
It’s a manga about a witch chocolatier who makes chocolate that fulfills wishes, but also takes something valuable from you at the same time. Also one chocolate flavor / backstory per chapter, I think. I don’t know if there’s an English version, I read some volumes of the German translation of the manga, and found it really cute :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That looks pretty good. I think it might make a more simple book (maybe too easy?). Definitely an interesting concept

The poll will open for the next book in about a week, so take the chance now to read the samples for the nominees and vote in their difficulty polls.

8 Likes

Also if you just nominated something in the last few days, please add it to the table in the first post.

I like this idea! I undestand that some might find it too easy, I might be on the other end of the spectrum though as I’m studying again after a few months off, and need something nice to get back into reading.

(Also, looking at your screenshots, I couldn’t help but notice… But alors you are French! But alors you are french - La grande Vadrouille - YouTube )

1 Like

Oh die Schokohexe :chocolate_bar::yum: I’ve never read it myself, but maybe I should! It didn’t occur to me, but now that you mention it they really look similar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, it should’t be too complicated :slight_smile:

Nice video (and sight!) :joy: But cependant I’m not French, I just like the language :wink:

2 Likes

I read the samples and my brain is so dead right now:D Looking forward to voting, I would be happy with almost any book/manga!

4 Likes

Haha, I know the feeling! And by the time I get to the later nominations I’ve totally forgotten how the earlier ones felt in comparison…

5 Likes

I’m sure this question gets asked a lot, but am I better off starting from the first book of the beginner book club or from the current? I’ve never really read anything Japanese before except for sample sentences. I always bounced off before because it was slow to learn so much kanji, but I suspect there is something that won’t be too bad with my current level.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the first book, but the current one was the first book I read in Japanese, so I think it’s doable. If you allow me to evaluate your kanji and vocab knowledge from your level, though, it would certainly require a lot of dictionary aid, and searching for kanji is a bit inconvenient if you can’t copy + paste your way out of it. I was about level 15-20 (I think) when I read it and it was quite cumbersome at first. That could be made easier for you if you got the version with furigana or a digital copy where you can copy + paste.

There’s also grammar, which I don’t know if you already started studying or not, but I would recommend knowing at least the basic stuff before attempting this.

Anyway, if you’re up for it and with a mindset to not be discouraged by probably searching more than reading, I think you’ll come out of it with a lot more Japanese knowledge under your belt. That being said, it’s also not a bad choice to wait some more until you feel more comfortable. A lot of people (understandably) don’t enjoy reading stuff while looking up every other word.

3 Likes

I may wait in that case, since looking up is what killed me in the past. I’m optimistic that my grammar is up to the task - I did a few years of Japanese study when I was younger and maintained the grammar well, but basically never learned any kanji for longer than a one-hour window around a given exam. :frowning:

1 Like

Definitely do the current book, in my opinion! The furigana version makes it easy to look things up, and there’s been a lot of good discussion on grammar in the weekly threads. Just don’t try to understand everything and you’ll learn a lot. You can tell by the types of questions people have started asking that they’ve learned a lot, and while I don’t know how visible my learning has been (because I don’t ask a lot of questions), I’ve learned a lot too.

5 Likes