Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

熱帯魚は雪に焦がれる (A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow)

Summary

Sometimes you find what you yearn for…

Konatsu is about to start a new school in a new town, and she’s basically all on her own. Her dad just got a job overseas, and her aunt can only check in from time to time. It’s a lot for a shy, reserved girl to handle. But on one of the first days of class, she discovers that the school has an aquarium! The club that runs the aquarium is headed by an older student named Koyuki, and Konatsu is instantly drawn to her. Konatsu’s introverted tendencies are hard to overcome, but maybe she’s found something worth coming out of her shell for?

Availability

Physical: Amazon
Digital: Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

I wanted to read a similar story to やがて君になる and a lot of people recommended this manga. I don’t think it has that many simularities to the before mentioned book, but is a great manga on its own. The art is absolutely stunning and it does not shy away from putting very little text on a few pages to highlight that. The characters are very likeable and the problems they deal with are relatable (even if they are a bit “blown up”).

Pros and Cons

Pros

• Lovely art
  • As this a newer manga the scans are great
  • Furigana
  • Not to many characters
  • The last volume releases in June

Cons

• Quite a bit of dialect

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Have a look at the preview on bookwalker (click on the manga cover)

https://viewer-trial.bookwalker.jp/03/9/viewer.html?cid=38d8fba5-e602-43d1-bafd-4e8cb51c4e81&cty=1

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

5 Likes