Beginner Japanese Book Club // Currently Reading: Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

added nichijou and plastic nee san to the main topic. can any one check if i added them right?

ミンゴ イタリア人がみんなモテると思うなよ(Mingo, don’t think that all Italians are popular. )

Summary

Peppe, popular resident of TV series “Terrace House” will start a new manga series in the upcoming issue 46/2019 of Weekly Big Comic Spirits titled “Mingo” about an italian otaku coming to Japan & finding love.

The story follows Mingo as he moves to Tokyo from Italy and tries to find love while being an otaku

Availability

amazon.co.jp

Personal Opinion

This book was recommended to me a while back. i think the story is somewhat relatable since most people here want/have to go to japan(at least that’s my impression).

Pros and Cons

Pros

• realism
  • slice of life
  • somewhat relatable character as he is much older than a school boy(AFAIK)
  • different drawing style

Cons

• no furigana
  • some frontal nudity

the ebook is 限定無料 until jan 13 on amazon

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

nudity

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• 1 - No effort at all
  • 2 - Minimal effort
  • 3 - Moderate effort
  • 4 - Substantial effort
  • 5 - So much effort my head might explode :exploding_head:
  • I don’t know

0 voters

1 Like

This one’s a sort of slice-of-life, so it’s ok to vote for it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe if it were for volume 2, with all that nice friendly furigana…

I’m not sure I have volume 2. I seem to have only bought 1 and 3, for some reason.

Maybe it’s sitting somewhere out of order…

1 Like

ラーメン大好き小泉さん

Ms Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles

Summary

Japanese

クールで無口、他人と馴れ合わないミステリアスな転校生・小泉さん。彼女は、日ごと美味しいラーメンを求めるラーメンのプロだった――!?あんなラーメンやこんなラーメン、すべて美味しくいただきます!ガツンと本格派ラーメングラフィティ、いよいよ着丼!

English

Cool, quiet, and mysterious, Koizumi-san is a transfer student who doesn’t get along with others. She is a ramen professional who searches for the best ramen every day! Ramen like this and ramen like that are all delicious! The authentic ramen graffiti is finally here!

Availability

Amazon
Bookwalker
Can also read chapters 1-3, and assorted others, for free on the publisher’s website.

Personal Opinion

Well, ramen is yummy. And they eat at real places that you can actually go and try for yourself. And this series is pretty amusing.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Fairly short chapters, fairly straightforward.
  • Real world situations, so easy to relate to.
  • FIrst three volumes (and counting) have been released in English. There’s also an anime series and a four-episode-plus-two-specials drama series.

Cons

• Dangerous to read while hungry.
  • Some technical ramen terminology is used, but they generally get explained to the viewpoint character.
  • No furigana.

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

5 Likes

Vote for the next book - now!

Can I vote?

If you are interesting in joining the next book club we run, you can (and should) vote!

Please look under “Current Proposals” in the first post for more details on each of the options, including links to sample pages which will help you gauge the difficulty.

Please take difficulty into account

Some people do find that reading a work they love or know already is inherently motivating / makes it easier, but please be realistic. Don’t just vote for your favourite story without looking at the samples yourself and comparing to others. Remember that both language and density contribute to difficulty.

Difficulty Scores

The number in front of each option is a difficulty score based on club members voting, where 1 indicates “no effort at all” and 5 indicates “so much effort my brain might explode”. These scores aren’t objective by any means, so please look at the sample pages of options you’re interested in.

When will we start and how many will we pick ?

We will likely begin reading on the 20th of February, one week after we finish reading ハイキュー!!. If a short manga (expected less than 8 weeks) wins we will also read the second place option afterwards without holding another vote.

List of "short" manga

At a guess, the following manga would be considered ‘short’. This is purely based on a quick look at the contents page - I’ll check any manga in the running more carefully once we have some votes in.

• FukaBoku: Love Me For Who I Am
  • Nordic Girl Åsa
  • Rainbow-Coloured Photograph
  • This Art Club has a Problem!
  • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

You can vote for up to 4 options.

• [2.36] FukaBoku: Love Me For Who I Am
  • [2.59] Rainbow-Coloured Photograph
  • [2.56 ] Koizumi-san Loves Ramen
  • [2.71] Nordic Girl Åsa
  • [3.12] Ao’s Island and a Cat
  • [2.31] Nichijou
  • [2.68] This Art Club has a Problem!
  • [2.64] Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun
  • [2.54] Magi
  • [2.57 ] Plastic Elder Sister
  • [2.84] My Hero Academia
  • [ 2.71] Death Note
  • [3.43] Great Detective Conan
  • [3.11] Scary Lessons // Book
  • [2.50] Ogawa Mimei’s Collection of Children’s Stories // Book

0 voters

You can adjust your vote at any time by clicking ‘Show Vote’.

4 Likes

Could somebody please change the thread title as appropriate? E.g. Vote Now! // Beginner Japanese Book Club // Currently Reading: ハイキュー!

Also WOW this is a lot of nominations

2 Likes

Finally my regular status gets put to use! xD

7 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

ミンゴ イタリア人がみんなモテると思うなよ isn’t there!

Oh my gosh, sorry! I thought you’d added all of yours so I didn’t realise. I’m afraid I can’t edit the poll now :confused:

1 Like

Welp no worries, will vote on it in the next poll!

3 Likes

I forgot to mention in the original post, but I will be closing the poll by the end of the weekend :slight_smile:

Come on, FukaBoku, there’s still time!

6 Likes

I would vote for FukaBoku, but I’ve already finished 1st volume on my own, so it seems not fair when I would be mostly hoping for an offshot club :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Haha, that’s fair enough :grin:

2 Likes

That is reason enough :wink:
I have voted for that reason, and gotten my wish, more than once :wink: (Chi’s Sweet Home and Fruits Basket)

Reading with the club is fun, even if you have read it once before =)

3 Likes

You know… It’s a bit silly that if FukaBoku were number 1 and Nichijou number 2, we would read both (because FukaBoku is a short manga), but now that they are the other way around, we would only read Nichijou and then have another vote.

Would it be that crazy just to read Nichijou and FukaBoku in that case? :eyes:

5 Likes

Well, the concern has always been that by the time the longer winner is over, many of the people who voted for the second-place option might no longer be around / will no longer be interested.

At the moment FukaBoku is substantially less popular (percentage-wise) than Nichijou, so it would feel a bit weird to run a club for it based on these results.

This way we get more polls too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ah, that is an important consideration, especially with the attrition being quite high at the best of times!

1 Like