Beginner Japanese Book Club // Currently Reading: Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun

If we really want this to happen, we could of course make it so, i.e. have one poll for a manga and one poll for a book, and then read both winners. Personally, I’m all in for a good balance of both. What do y’all think?

2 Likes

Only problem with that is if no one would have voted for a book at all. Since there are so few books nominated that’s always a possibility.

Ah, I see, or if only very few people voted for a book, so that we get a strong bias.
We could always add an option “I do not want to read any of the books” and the same for the mangas, to reflect that. The winner would need more votes than the same category’s “do not want” option.

We could always just pick the highest voted book :wink:
It got an equal third place with a 29%, next book had 14%.
*Really want to read Scary Lessons :stuck_out_tongue:
As you can see from my voting, lol! I voted for others, further down too.

2 Likes

I reckon it’s probably simplest to hold the vote as normal and see what happens, and then if a book doesn’t come first or second we can hold a follow-up poll to see if people would specifically like to select a book to follow that up.

If we definitely want another manga first to keep us from becoming too book-heavy, perhaps we could say that we will definitely be picking the most popular manga first, even if a book wins?

3 Likes

I guess I’ll go ahead and nominate this(here’s hoping I didn’t forget to include anything)

不可解な僕のすべてを

Summary

English(just my own translation of the amazon summary below, not completely literal):

Mogumo, a student who goes to school wearing a girl’s school uniform, is invited to work part time at a cafe one day. At first, mogumo is happy about getting to work while wearing a cute uniform, but after learning the that the cafe is a “otoko no ko” cafe…

Japanese:

女子の制服を着て学校に通う高校生、もぐもはある日、カフェのアルバイトに誘われる。
可愛い制服を着て働ける仕事に、最初は喜ぶもぐもだったが、このカフェが『男の娘カフェ』であることを知って…。

Availability

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/不可解なぼくのすべてを-1-MeDu-COMICS-粉山カタ/dp/4814801521/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=不可解な僕のすべてを&qid=1562936141&s=gateway&sr=8-1
Cdjapan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2324710?s_ssid=e43dec5d2884af51d
bookwalker: https://bookwalker.jp/de38ed782e-71ed-4846-ac06-8d0aec51fac7/
ebookjapan: https://ebookjapan.yahoo.co.jp/books/522566/A002104239/
Also available on kindle and as an ebook from cdjapan

Personal Opinion

I’ve personally already read the first volume, so my main reasons for nominating it are that it seemed to be at a difficulty level that felt similar to some previous book club picks to me, as well as that I personally liked it(enough to be up for rereading it if it gets chosen for the book club)

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• No furigana, could be good for practicing kanji.
  • First two chapters are currently available (legally) for free online (1 2)
  • Handles some of the topics it covers better than most other manga I’m aware of

Cons

• No furigana except for names, meaning that looking up unknown vocab/kanji may take longer.
  • Some pages have somewhat large amounts of text(see first two additional sample pages)

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

3 Likes

Has anyone here read 王様に恋した魔女? It seems like an interesting book, and all the kanji have furigana, (that I’ve seen)and aimed at elementary students. The grammar and vocab seemed doable to me so I was think about buying it, but wanted to know what other people though of it, since I’ve already got so many books to read :smile:

Haven’t read it myself, sorry. The cover looks beautiful though, which is what I normally base my book purchasing decisions on :wink: if you do read it please let us know how you find it!

@Ditto20 - what would be a reasonable English title for your nomination?

While it’s not an actual translation of the Japanese title, the book itself has the subtitle “Love Me For What I Am” on the cover (and inside the book), so that would be one option.

Alternatively, maybe something like “fukaboku: love me for what I am” could work, keeping an abbreviation of the Japanese title (an abbreviation which the author also uses) and adding the English part of the title to it.

Either that, or I guess just going with a literal translation of the Japanese title could work too, but I feel like that easily could end up sounding really awkward.

Well, those are the possible alternatives, I’ll leave the actual choice to someone else :woman_shrugging:

:joy:

“fukaboku: love me for what I am” it is :+1:

2 Likes

How much is some I wonder. I finally read the sample, and the dialect is super annoying. It didn’t make it much harder, but I’m sure it’ll trip me up a bit if it’s used for verbs and such. Anyone know if this is a real dialect and if so from where?

Also, I’ll never understand why children’s books don’t use more kanji. All the kanji have furigana anyway… no need to make it harder on us!

3 Likes

Me too, honestly

1 Like

I’d be inclined to say Tohoku somewhere, given the preponderance of dakuten (and the mention of Sendai on the third sample page), but I’m not a big expert on dialects aside from Osaka and Hiroshima. It’s probably not full-on dialect in any case, so’s regular kids can still read it.

4 Likes

That’s my hope!

I have started reading this and the dialect is annoying but not impossible. I think if we can have a spreadsheet or some other place where we can write out the dialect sentences with their equivalent in standard Japanese, then it should be quite straightforward. Also, I have a suspicion that once we get past the first chapter, there may be less of it.

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

I definitely agree. If I have time this evening I’ll try to flick through dialogue in later chapters to see whether all the townspeople talk like that, or whether it’s restricted to a select few.

I like @Kyasurin’s idea of having a comparative spreadsheet. I got the impression from the short bit I read that it was at least quite a consistent and easy-to-understand dialect, once you understand what’s going on.

2 Likes

Maybe we should do Barakamon, then, where the local dialect is supposed to be near-indecipherable. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did love the anime though :star_struck:

1 Like

I’m just imagining a situation where I finally go on vacation to Japan and everyone speaks with such a heavy accent that I can’t understand anything. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes