Also, here’s my re-pitch for ご注文はうさぎですか.
ご注文はうさぎですか？(Is the Order a Rabbit?)
ご注文はうさぎですか is a 4-koma manga, which means that all the panels are uniform in size (read top to bottom in the right column, then top to bottom in the left column, just like a book).
Cocoa arrives at the cafe Rabbit House one day, excited for rabbits. She actually all but lives in that cafe. She meets lots of different girls there, including a tiny and cool girl named Chino, a tough and soldier-esque girl named Rize, a spacey and quintessentially Japanese girl named Chiyo, and the ordinary but dignified Sharo.
It’s a random slice of life comedy like よつばと！, but that’s pretty much where the similarities end. It’s basically about five girls who work at various cafes, hang out, and do random things together.
From Amazon.jp: https://www.amazon.co.jp/ご注文はうさぎですか？-1-まんがタイムKRコミックス-Koi/dp/4832241192
My Personal Opinion
I’ve watched the anime adaption, and I would say it’s probably my favorite random slice of life comedy. I like all of the characters (which is rare in this kind of genre for me) and it’s pretty funny. Plus it’s super cute.
I read the first four chapters this week to get a sense of the difficulty. I would say it’s significantly easier than Kiki and slightly harder than Yotsuba. Some aspects are actually easier than Yotsuba (a lot less slang), and the hardest part is the kanji. There is a lot of kanji and very little furigana. With some use of a dictionary, I’d say I understood 80% or more of the first three chapters, but maybe only 50-60% of the fourth chapter.
Pros and Cons for the Book Club
- Straightforward story with fun characters
- Good kanji practice (very little furigana)
- Short chapters (8 pages) so it should be easy to read 1-2 chapters per week
- Good art
- The anime adaption seems to follow the manga fairly closely, so people could watch it to get an idea of what they didn’t understand.
- The genre might not be for everyone
- Could be difficult to read for low level WaniKani users (very little furigana)
First Three Pages of Chapter One
Even more pages here: ご注文はうさぎですか miscellaneous discussion
How much effort would you need to read this book?
- No effort at all
- Minimal effort
- Just right
- Impossible, even with everyone’s help
- I just like to click polls