Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

Yes, I agree I think this would be a better fit for ABBC.

Sorry I did not check the Absolute Beginners thread. Compared to Yuru Camp this is obviously much easier, but compared to for example Flying witch I don’t see that much of a difference (maybe some magic related vocab). So maybe something simpler for a change, but I wouldn’t mind it being in the Absolute Beginners club.

To be fair I forgot to add the nomination to the main post :eyes:

i thought the general consensus was that haikyuu was too hard for this club.

I think there has definitely been some inflation of pick difficulty. Maybe because the intermediate club doesn’t really seem to read manga a lot, so people are more likely to nominate difficult-ish manga here instead?

I also felt it would be better to nominate Takagisan in the ABBC because finding really easy manga is hard enough as it is, so I didn’t want to ‘take a good option away’ from the ABBC.

1 Like

I think it just goes up and down, but people are generally quite prone to voting for things they want to read rather than things they can read :stuck_out_tongue: I reckon people are also a bit more generous when voting on the difficulty for things they’re excited about :wink:

This is part of why I was keen to stick to a slow pace for Shimeji Simulation, to make sure the difficulty stayed appropriate.

Anyway, fascinating thought this is, it’s not why I’m here in this thread…!

9 Likes

不可解なぼくのすべてを (FukaBoku) has started!

Get your reading hats on :triumph:

@Thanks @NicoleIsEnough :purple_heart:

10 Likes

@TofuguKanae released her article on the bookclubs Japanese "Native" Books for Upper Beginners :eyes: Edit: Oh, I didn’t even see she’d made a thread already, I just woke up >o> whoops

10 Likes

Woooaaaaah, there’s a radish quote in there! I’m loving the love for the book clubs :blush:

9 Likes

For anyone looking to read Aria the Masterpiece, but averse to physical copies, the first volume has finally released digitally:

12 Likes

Is Nichijou not available from Kinokuniya? I can’t seem to find it.

If I have to get a digital copy from Book Walker, can anyone tell me if the pages are a high enough resolution to zoom in clearly on the kanji? I have never bought any digital manga in Japanese, and the sample pages on Book Walker are too small for me to read from. Thanks.

just checked and they’re good enough to read the kanji with, and I can just about make out furigana, but it’s not very good quality.

flicking through, this seems to be as small as the text tends to get:

it makes me sad when they do this to us. how hard is it to just scan the thing properly? :cry:

btw, you can zoom in on the trial pages as well. I think they’re the full resolution (I can’t see the difference, personally)
Screenshot from 2021-03-31 17-37-48

5 Likes

thanks, that’s very helpful. though disappointing that they only provide such low resolution scans for purchase.

1 Like

There’s a new book club in town!

This is strictly speaking an Intermediate book club, but I think it could be interesting to some of the people here. It’s a book by the same author as コンビニ人間, which is considered one of the Intermediate Book Club’s easier picks. We’re also sticking to a slightly more relaxed schedule, so if you’re looking to make the jump to intermediate books this book club could be an excellent choice! There’s no time like the present for getting involved; we’re currently voting about the starting date and the book is 50% points back on Amazon.

7 Likes

… and another new book club just started:

The book covers a variety of topics and addresses readers with no or very basic background in computer science. It starts with a chapter related to computer history, covers technical aspects like computer architecture and networking, and introduces different use cases for computers like smart cities, digital education or health care systems.

We are planning to read one chapter per week, which makes it between 15~20 pages and seven weeks in total. Most of them are manga based. Additionally each chapter has two or three topics summarized as a small article, one or two pages per topic.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m gonna join this reading club too - I’m already in the Absolute beginner since I like the manga that’s gonna be read starting from May - because I have this one on my shelf! Can’t wait to read with all of you :blush:

3 Likes

So, will this book club start tomorrow?

1 Like

It’s supposed to… I don’t see a home thread in the first post, though, so that’s a bit scary :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t mind making one?

2 Likes

I haven’t been around this thread recently, so I don’t know what was the original plan. If there was no plan and nobody replies by Sunday, then I guess it’s fair :woman_shrugging:
I’m going to tag @yukinet (who nominated the book) and @Radish8 just in case too.

1 Like