Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

I’m planning to order 少女終末旅行 with my order, and I’ll probably nominate it for next round.

In my order I picked up ご注文はうさぎですか and the school manga (that shall not be named) due to spoilers. After it was mentioned, I watched the first few episodes to prevent myself from spoiling it and really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Are you talking about がっこうぐらし? It looked a little more challenging than I was used to, based on the samples I tried to read.

Yes, I am. I don’t expect to be able to read it now, but I have high hopes for the future.

1 Like

Chapter 2 is pretty funny, especially the very end. After reading the first two chapters, it definitely seems harder than Aria. I don’t think the pace will be a problem, but I definitely expect to have more questions than I do with Aria.

I have mixed feelings about reading the digital version of the book. I might do it for のんのんびより anyway, but it doesn’t feel right without feeling the paper in my hands.

1 Like

Digital manga can be tough because typically the pages of the digital manga are simply scanned in which means none of the text can be highlighted to be looked up on e-reader’s dictionary or copied in the case that conjugated forms don’t come up with result. This can be pretty big downfall considering digital books have that quality. Then the focusing and refocusing is another irritant. This is one of main reasons why I haven’t bothered with doing manga with any of the groups because I prefer reading things in digital format in general. So I understand the uneasiness, even if it may be for different reasons.

2 Likes

I can’t do that with my physical manga either, so that doesn’t matter much to me. :laughing:

My biggest problem so far is that zooming in even a little bit makes the content somewhat blurry.

By the way, since the manga we’re reading is on the easier side, I imagine you wouldn’t have to look up too much. So maybe not being able to look stuff up directly from the digital version wouldn’t be a big deal in this case.

2 Likes

The zooming is indeed a pain. I prefer digital format because it’s easier to look things up with taking much time away from the story. The kindle dictionary makes that part a snap. Additionally I can highlight parts without physically affecting the quality of the product. So these parts make manga a little less appealing to me.

As for the participating, I’m taking a break from the book clubs after the current intermediate club selection finishes. (I’ll still be reading stuff, though)

1 Like

Well I just placed a big order.

Manga:

• Aria the Masterpiece volumes 2-7 (rest of the series)
  • のんのんびより volumes 1-2 (I didn’t really like the blurriness from zooming on the ebook)
  • 少女終末旅行 volume 1

Book:

• Penguin Highway

Learning Stuff:

• New Kanzen Master Grammar N4 (to solidify that before jumping too much into N3)
  • A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns
3 Likes

Also, for those interested, here’s another free-for-now manga. It’s free to read until August 16th. I’m going to try really hard to read the whole thing in that time, but we’ll see how well that goes…

https://bookwalker.jp/dee9687f41-7aa8-447a-b1fc-d6b500619a99/

1 Like

Aww, phoey. I meant to check for that when I was in Kinokuniya yesterday…

Ooo. I’ve been reading that in English. It’s pretty good.

New proposed schedule below. The changes are to read the のんのんびより bonus chapters in the “week off” between books and to do the first chapter of 夏目友人帳 over two weeks.

August 18th: Read last chapter of Aria the Masterpiece
August 25th: Week off
September 1st: Read chapter 1 of のんのんびより (17 pages)
September 8th: Read chapters 2-3 of のんのんびより (27 pages)
September 15th: Read chapters 4-5 of のんのんびより (37 pages)
September 22nd: Read chapters 6-7 of のんのんびより (37 pages)
September 29th: Read chapters 8-9 of のんのんびより (39 pages)
October 6th: Read bonus chapters of のんのんびより (ユメのユメ and おまけ) (14 pages)
October 13th: Read chapter 1 of 夏目友人帳 (50 pages) [TWO WEEKS]
October 27th: Read chapter 2 of 夏目友人帳 (50 pages)
November 3rd: Read chapter 3 of 夏目友人帳 (50 pages)
November 10th: Read chapter 4 of 夏目友人帳 (40 pages)

Are you okay with this schedule?

• Yes
  • No (please explain why)
  • I don’t really care

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m concerned we’re gonna struggle with the 50 pages a week for natsume after the first chapter too, but it’s hard to judge until we actually start (or indeed are able to look at the whole book - the little I’ve seen looks quite dense, but it was literally a couple of pages). At least this way if it’s horrendous it’ll be over quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Two experiments then. First time we’ll read more than one chapter in a week with のんのんびより and first time will read chapters as long as 50 pages with 夏目友人帳. Worst case we realize something doesn’t work and do it better next time.

4 Likes

There I decided to finally join with the next book and have already ordered it and now the schedule is 2 chapters a werk :sweat_smile:i will never manage that.

The chapters are less than 20 pages each, so hopefully it will be manageable. :slight_smile:

I’m more concerned about the logistics of reading more than one chapter in a week than anything else. I can’t decide whether there should be one discussion thread per week or one discussion thread per chapter.

1 Like

I think one per chapter, so that people who are still reading the first chapter are not bumping into the inevitable spoilers which will arise from people discussing the second chapter.

6 Likes

My bundle of のんのんびより 1-7 was just shipped so it should be here in time. Also, like with Aria, they instantly increased the price by around 12€ after I bought it. Automated price algorithms at work I guess. ^^

I agree with @Kyasurin - I think it’ll help people find the questions/answers they’re looking for more easily as well as avoiding the spoilers issue.

Jeeeez, that’s more than I paid for it!* I think you have to get in there quickly once the pick is announced, as we seem to have a significant effect on the international demand :wink:

*@seanblue :see_no_evil: in my defence, it’s very hot here and my brain is fried :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That was for seven volumes though.