Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

:joy:

2 Likes

Didn’t we have this conversation sometime previously? I definitely remember this coming up before with … someone.

They’re in Unicode.

7 Likes

Wow, yeah, that is something so natural that SHOULD be in the massive list!

:rainbow_flag: is always an option =)

8 Likes

You can also use the Japanese IME. :male_sign: is おす and :female_sign: is obviously めす (and × is ばつ, although it might be a different symbol)

5 Likes

Yay, FukaBoku won. I’m not interested in Nichijou at all so I’m just gonna skip it. :grin:

Too bad, it looks really cute and interesting. I think I’ll read it on my own sometime

5 Likes

We have a home thread!

6 Likes

Or, we could form a splinter club? :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m interested in both upcoming mangas, but I promised myself not to buy any new manga until I finished a good chunk of what I already own. D: To break a promise with myself that I made for a good reason (I want to be a manga reader, not a manga collector), or get in on the action… Although I have read quite a few book club picks after the fact, and that have usually been nice too.

5 Likes

I don’t want to tempt you into breaking your manga buying ban, so feel free to ignore this if you think it’d be a slippery slope into giving up your resolution for good, but this is what works for me: I’m on a semi-book buying ban (max. one new book per month until I’ve finished a good chunk of the unread books I already own) but I make an exception for book club picks because to me, they’re more like study material than manga I’d leisurely read in my free time. Since there’s only a new pick every few weeks/months and they’re being read slowly chapter by chapter, they’re not really contributing to my reading backlog.

7 Likes

Although I’m reading quite a few manga already, I’d certainly be up for it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When will Nichijou be started?

1 Like

april, 17(one week after the last week of the other one)

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t bother to look up what FukaBoku was about because, honestly, the cover was also a little off-putting to me. But I’ll definetily join now that I know it tackles lgbt+ issues and even has a nonbinary protagonist!

9 Likes

Glad you have a solution that works for you. I’m also considering the fact that shipping to Sweden from Japan would be pretty high (I much much much prefer manga to be paper), so I’d want to buy many at once. So kinda no matter how I slice it, I’ll either buy few books and get a very high shipping charge for a small package, or I break my ban in a big way.

So I think that it will be a no for me this time. D:
But I’ll look forward to reading those mangas later and having the book club as assistance some time in the future.

2 Likes

It has six chapters right? At one chapter a week, that would be:

20 Feb - 26 Feb: chapter 1
27 Feb - 5 Mar: chapter 2
6 Mar - 12 Mar: chapter 3
13 Mar - 19 Mar: chapter 4
20 Mar - 26 Mar: chapter 5
27 Mar - 2 April: chapter 6

Wouldn’t it start on April 10th then? If you leave one week in between?

That’s definitely fair. This time I get to buy several book club picks at once, but last time I didn’t want to spend that much on shipping for just one book…so I made the financially questionable decision of buying a sweater and some accessories at the same time, which of course made everything much more expensive than if I’d just bought the book by itself :sweat_smile: I adore my new sweater though, so no regrets. Living near a Japanese book shop would be so nice…

1 Like

i looked at the table in the book’s main thread. chapter one is broken into two weeks!

1 Like

Ah, I missed that link. Cheers!

Same! I ordered 7 to save a little on shipping to Norway =P
We used to have a free option, slow shipping, but free… I miss it :pensive:

2 Likes

The first three volumes of this are currently free on Amazon.

13 Likes