Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

In topic of looking up unknown kanji I personally really like the apps where you can write characters yourself (like Akebi - it’s the one I’m using and it has quite good recognition in my experience).
When I stumble upon an unknown kanji/word in a book I’m currently reading I just write it in that app real quick and it never took me more than a minute to find a kanji/word I was looking for.

2 Likes

But some of us are dinosaurs and don’t have smartphones D:

okay, that really is just me

4 Likes

How about https://kanji.sljfaq.org/

I just tried, but it looks pretty good.

1 Like

Ooh, nice, thank you! Seems quite sensitive to correct stroke order, which I suck at, but I guess it’s just incentive to improve :wink:

1 Like

That’s a good thing to learn :slight_smile:
I noticed that you can also tick “ignore stroke order” on the right, but I guess it will have a harder time recognizing input…

Yeah, I tried ticking that, but I think it fundamentally still struggles.

I’ll try using this for the rest of ゆるキャン :blush:

1 Like

Um, I’m not reading this yet due to other life things, but it’s on the list of “beginner friendly” manga now.

But really I just dropped in to say that starting (September 28th in Japan), Nonnonbiyori is both on sale at about half price AND has a coin up campaign going on on Bookwalker if you’re interested in getting the rest of the volumes. With the coin ups, they almost pay for themselves.

Edit: Misunderstanding. This sale seems to go on for a few days.

2 Likes

Just in the first few pages I saw two kanji I didn’t know: 薪, 逞.

I’m voting “just right”, but I’m not going to vote for it. I just don’t care about camping haha.

It’s not about camping, it’s about cute girls going camping.

And I swear, Nadeshiko is cuter than a manga character has any right to be. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I didn’t care for the anime anyway. :man_shrugging:
(And I usually like those cute girl anime)

You would know them if you had been reading Shin sekai yori (薪) and Sword Art Online (逞しい) D: It’s obviously on you.

But other than that, the cute girls doing cute things shtick grew old real fast…

1 Like

They can be really fun from time to time, but a lot of it depends on the unique hook and characters of the particular series.

1 Like

In general I dislike cgdct, but I do like slice-of-life more generally, so sometimes it works. For me, this sat on the iyashikei side of the spectrum. It was my “make a mug of hot chocolate and curl up on the sofa to enjoy watching people eat hot pot” show of last winter :blush:

But anyway, I mostly nominated it because it didn’t have furigana but didn’t seem too difficult grammar/language-wise, so thought it would add some difficulty variety to the options (if not genre variety :grin: ).

2 Likes

I was mostly teasing @seanblue on the “I don’t care about camping” (and random kanji), but I can see that my message can sound colder than it was meant to be :sweat_smile:

Anyway, I also really like slice of life, but I prefer works with “regular” people doing “regular” things (plus drama/scenario) :sweat_smile:

I know, I know, just taking the opportunity to plug it :grin:

what are your favourite slice-of-life manga? there are lots of shows I can’t watch legally, so I’m hoping to read them instead

2 Likes

Sooo, I thought I’d check if the things I wanted to recommend were actually slice-of-life, and it turns out that nope, most of them are categorized as “romance”. So, hm, I guess I don’t understand what I’m talking about.

One series that made the cut, though, is Working, which I did enjoy. I also started reading it when I was at or below N4; the lack of furigana was hard for me, but I guess it would not bother people going through WK :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What are some of your other favorite manga, romance or otherwise?

1 Like

Ahahaha :joy: I don’t really know what things are classed as either. I’ll check out Working though, thanks ^^

and I second seanblue’s question

1 Like

Well, the ones I mentioned in the other thread: NANA, paradise kiss, gokinjo monogatari, sing yesterday for me. At the top of my head, I also like One piece (although I stopped reading it a long time ago), Othello, angel sanctuary, One punch man, magi, Nausicaä, Halleluya overdrive, nisekoi, BLAM, blue giant, inuyasha, samurai deeper kyo, ranma 1/2, gunnm (+ last order), 放課後保健室, Kimi ni todoke, Hayate no gotoku

And more, but let’s stop here. (Ah, and of course Working, Azumangadaiou and Yotsuba&)

And ARIA.

And 地の子

2 Likes

Ooo, I’ve thought of a good “regular people doing regular things” manga: 北欧女子オーサが見つけた日本の不思議. Maybe I’ll write up a proper nomination when I get back from my holday.

Except… I inexplicably appear to have purchased volume 3 on my last trip to Japan instead of volume 1…

3 Likes