Beginner Japanese Book Club // Currently Reading: シメジシミュレーション

How long have you been learning Japanese and what grammar studies have you done?

You could try looking at some of the samples for the upcoming books here and here and decide based on that.

2 Likes

Got のんのんびより vol 1 now. But hell, it looks difficult :scream:

1 Like

From the first few chapters, it looks like のんのんびより will be slightly harder than Aria the Masterpiece.

Comedies are probably harder in general because the jokes can be difficult to understand.

Well, it turns out that once I cleaned things up, sorted a few things out and gave a few things away that my manga collection isn’t anywhere near as much of a problem as I thought it was once I got a new bookshelf just for Japanese stuff.

6 Likes

Hello, I bought のんのんびより and would like to join the reading group.

1 Like

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading along with us! Check out the home thread for the manga to see the full schedule and more.

2 Likes

I’m prepping two or three more nominations for next round, but I figure I should wait until we’re at least a few weeks into reading Non Non Biyori before nominating them…

By the way, when going to bookoff yesterday, I noticed non non biyori was in the “popular” section. So the global market tendencies may not be entirely due to the book club :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

But it’s more fun to think it’s because of us. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Maybe we are influencers. People saw on the Internet it was getting hot, started reading it and got hooked.

6 Likes

I had to temporarily remove access to the vocab sheets for Aria and Non Non Biyori. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: Access has been restored. Let me know if you have any problems.

EDIT 2: And FYI, I may do this one more time tomorrow to clean something up.

Is anyone planning to nominate additional manga/books for next round of voting?

1 Like

Did you say that you read some of 約束のネバーランド / The Promised Neverland? If so, what did you think of the difficulty?

I read through ~30 pages or so of it and it seemed really interesting, has great reviews, and didn’t seem too difficult either (tbh のんのんびより has seemed more challenging thus far :laughing:), so I was thinking of nominating it ^^

Difficulty wise it was fine. It was similar difficulty to Aria, slightly easier than Non Non Biyori (so far). Partly it’s hard to judge though. I rushed reading The Promised Neverland within the free trial period so I didn’t read for the comprehension I’d normally aim for.

As for content, I didn’t care for the writing style. You know how Aria sometimes puts nonstandard readings next to the kanji? Well this manga does it ad nauseum. Plus not much of the story was covered in the one volume, unfortunately.

I was considering nominating it, but once I read the first volume I decided not to.

2 Likes

Ahh okay, I kind of got the impression that I may end up having a lot more questions than answers after the first volume, so story progression-wise probably not suitable for the book club

Thanks for the response ^^

1 Like

I’m reading the first few chapters of the Yuru Camp manga, and if it seems suitable for the book club I was going to nominate that. I thought it might be an interesting pick as it doesn’t include any furigana; I figure if I’ve already looked the words up as far as I’m able it shouldn’t be too much harder, while being a bit more of a stretch for those who’d like the practice.

I’m still catching up on non non biyori and Aria at the moment though, so I haven’t gotten further than chapter 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wonder how we can get something other than slice of life that still has payoff after one volume. Don’t get me wrong, I like slice of life. But it would be nice to read something else with the group from time to time.

The two I’m planning to nominate are Girls’ Last Tour (manga, no furigana) and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (book).

4 Likes

I agree completely, I’ve really been enjoying the slice of life manga so far but a change of pace would be nice too ^^ both of those seem like great nominations!

Here’s all the manga in my plan to read list. I doubt any of the light novels in my list would be level appropriate for the group.

List

It would be really interesting to read Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan since it’s a serious, one volume manga. But I don’t think it’s readily available to purchase. :confused:

Another one that could be good is Planetes. It’s a hard sci-fi manga and I already have the English version (though I haven’t read it yet). I have no idea if it would pay off after the first volume, but the whole series is only four volumes long, so it would be easy to continue if people enjoyed the story.

EDIT: Planetes is available to read for free until 9/13 if you wanted to check the difficulty:
https://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/10144/
https://bookwalker.jp/de73a6ba3f-a705-4292-a5ed-b8f5ec812a6b/

5 Likes

Planetes is so good! I have the complete English version and it’s one of my favorite manga.
I’ll go ahead and check the difficulty. :slight_smile:

Oyasumi Punpun, Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou would also be really interesting.

Aaah, a lot of kanji I don’t understand, being in space and all. :joy:
Other than that, it doesn’t feel that hard, it’s mostly vocab and small kanji.
I would be willing to give it a try. :eyes:

1 Like