Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 気になってる人が男じゃなかった // Next 葬送のフリーレン, then ウスズミの果て

By the way, I wonder how floflo deals with partial hiragana-ization?
For instance, the book uses 名まえ instead of 名前
(And seriously, how is that helping anyone?)

1 Like

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Is only available digitally as far as I could find.

Yee. I’ve written this before but 50% of the unique words in a book come in the first 33%. Really unfortunate because that hits beginners the hardest.

Depends if it has a dictionary entry for that or not (you’d be surprised by how many alternate spellings there are). Otherwise it’ll boof it.

2 Likes

wat

wat.
(I am surprised)

2 Likes

Yeah I really hate that. It’s impossible to look anything up.

I’m finally starting to hit a level of Japanese where I randomly get bored of my books now and put them down. I guess that’s a good thing :sweat_smile:

I honestly think this language has no rules

3 Likes

Steals an elephant plushie

What’s this? JP posting in (his own) book club thread?!

Just “suggestions”

4 Likes

No worries. I’ll catch you guys one day. I’m already on page 20 of よつばと!Vol 1. after all.

7 Likes

Digitally or “digitally”? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No

4 Likes

Nooo! The lack of kanji was annoying on occasion, but it had lots of full, proper sentences!! And the sense of achievement I got from finishing it was amazing.

But, there’s a big difference between the amount of text in a manga and in a novel. I think just looking at a whole page of text can be very off-putting for many beginners.

3 Likes

Almost everything is available “digitally”, tbf.

It’s still off putting to me now tbh. But I definitely think that the sense of accomplishment you get from finishing a novel is way more than with manga and stuff.

Seems like you made quite the jump from kiki to that 手のひらの小説 thing. Are you still working on that?

2 Likes

Come on now. I wouldn’t have even mentioned it if it was only available “digitally”.

3 Likes

The description sounds awesome!

By the way, they are selling physical copies in book off, so it’s not only digital :slight_smile:
http://www.bookoffonline.co.jp/old/0011398176

Aww. I was hoping for a preview, but all the sample pages are the various mini-posters…

Have you seen it? How book-clubberish is it?

What the heck, the preview is just art. :joy: I wanted to see the level of difficulty.
Speaking of which, I saw the preview for 謎のかのじょX and it’s pretty straight-forward. :eyes:
I need a reason to read it again. :sweat_smile:

Ah, volume two managed to get in a single page of actual manga.

No furigana.

This website has some 立ち読み

Edit: Wooow, 1995 indeed. That style is old school.

2 Likes

Aye, though the style changes quite a lot as you progress through.

1 Like