Beginner frustration

Yeah, that’s what I feel is missing from 10k deck on kitsun.io for example. Many flashcards for verbs lack the “to” part, while some have it - it is very inconsistent.

1 Like

I struggled with the same thing when I started. I figured learning another language would be kinda easy after learning Italian in college, but since Japanese is so different from Romance languages, I ended up hitting a lot more walls than I expected when I decided to get into vocabulary.

It helped me when to keep an open mind and accept that language is a living concept, dynamic and always changing, which means that there’s probably no one “right way” of learning, just whatever works for you. So if you find Wanikani’s approach more frustrating because it’s too different from what you’re used to, that’s ok! The free levels are a great resource to use for referencing use in grammar or context. In fact, since Wanikani doesn’t teach the conjugated forms of its vocab (so far as I’ve been using it), checking out how it’s used in sentences has helped me a ton with some of the gaps in my learning I found particularly hard to deal with.

Anyway, I hope this helps! Learning a language that’s so fundamentally different from native languages and their mother sources is inherently rife with difficulties, but it’s just a matter of finding your learning style and experimenting with other methods. You got this!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.