Becks's intensive reading/study log

Today's Paragraphs

ここで探索者シートの技能にポイントを割り当てる。ゲームを始めたばかりのキャラクターは全員、クトゥルフ神話の脅威について無知であるとみなすため、キャラクターの創造においてプレイヤーは〈クトゥルフ神話〉技能にポイントを加えることはできない。

8つの職業技能および〈信用〉技能に、次の数字を割り当てる。技能1つに70%。技能2つに60%。技能3つに50%。同じく技能3つに40%(各技能には、これらの数字をそのまま割り当てること。探索者シートにある各技能の隣に書かれた、技能の基本成功率は無視する)。

技能の数字は、能力値と同じような形で記入することを勧める。フル・バリュー、2分の1、5分の1といった数字は、ゲームの間に確認する必要が出てくるからだ。もちろんあなたの好みで、それぞれの技能のフル・バリューだけを書いておき、ゲームの最中は暗算で済ましてもよい。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 8
Favorite new word: 暗算あんざん mental arithmetic

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi
Kanji Study Writing Challenge

I got to level 22 on Bunpro today.

Today’s morphman stats image (830)

3 Likes
Today's Paragraph

例:スーザンはジャーナリストをプレイしようと決めて、次の数字を割り当てる。〈芸術/製作(写真術)〉50%、〈歴史〉40%、〈図書館〉50%、〈母国語(英語)〉60%、〈心理学〉40%。彼女は対人関係技能として〈説得〉を選び、70%を与える(とても説得力のある探索者だ!)。それから探索者シートにある技能の一覧を見渡して、ジャーナリストにとって有用だと思われるそのほか2つの技能を選び出す。〈目星〉50%と〈隠密〉60%である。彼女には40%の数字が1つ残っており、これは〈信用〉に割り当てられる。スーザンは各技能の隣にあるフル・バリューの(大きな)欄に、割り当てた数字を書き込む。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 4
Favorite new word: 隠密おんみつ secret; clandestine; covert

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I planned to do a bunch of my weeklies today but only got to this week’s chapters of おじさまと猫. I also barely scraped by on the dailies :sweat: It was a busy day but unfortunately not productive or fun

Today’s morphman stats image (844)

5 Likes

I think you need to edit your favourite word translation - I was curious that you had mental arithmetic two days in a row with different kanji, so looked it up.

1 Like

woops! :scream: I changed the word but forgot to change the definition

3 Likes

The known-without-a-dictionary kanji/words from today’s paragraphs:

技能
当てる (didn’t know the preceding word so I can’t know what is being 当てる’d, so it’s of limited use)
始めた
全員
無知

数字

基本
成功
同じ

Stuff I “knew” but had to look up:
神話 (should definitely have known this one)
記入 (knew each kanji but not the compound, no guess at meaning)
間 (dangit I should have known this aaaaggghhh)

New words for me:
好み
暗算 <<< amazing!! I love the idea that the dark “an” is used to bring to mind the lightless “inside the head” world of mental data processing, while experiential/sensory memories and visualizations seem to be referred to by words that indicate form and brightness inside the mind. I wonder…do you think this “anzan” is a compound of “anki” and “zan” and references memorized tables of sums and products…?

Thank you so much for these paragraphs!! I love it…I feel like I’m cheating off you…

3 Likes

Known kanji/words/chunks:

決めて
次の数字
芸術
図書館
英語
心理学

Only the single kanji was known in a multi-kanji element:

New word, familiar kanji:
写真術 (meaning and pronunciation guessed!)
母国語 (meaning guessed, pronunciation missed)
対人 (pronunciation guessed, meaning missed)
対人関係技能 (the 関係技能 part of this was known)
選び (should have remembered this and totally didn’t)
目星 <<< amazing new word!!! Love it!!!

Known word, but not really, not yet run into it in wk:
彼女

…annnnnnnd I just petered out of focus lol that’s me vs. reading for ya. :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the reading and recall practice!!!

1 Like

Good for you on catching up with おじさまと猫!:smiley:

2 Likes

Haha I think it’d be more like cheating if I had a list of the words as well instead of just one :laughing: Otherwise it’s just good practice! It’s cool to see how much of this stuff other people can read! It’s definitely a lot less lonely :heart:

3 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

職業技能にポイントを割り当てたなら、探索者の「個人的な興味の技能」を選ぶ。これはあなたの探索者が、仕事の本業以外で獲得した技能である。職業技能以外の技能を4つ選んで、それぞれを20%増加させる(探索者シートにある各技能の隣に記載された技能の基本成功率に20を加える)。

もう1つの例:ブライアンは兵士を職業として選ぶ。兵士はこのルールブックの職業表にないため、彼は最もふさわしいと思われる8つの技能を選ぶ。〈登攀〉、〈回避〉、〈近接戦闘(格闘)〉、〈射撃(ライフル/ショットガン)〉、〈応急手当〉、〈ほかの言語〉、〈隠密〉、そして〈サバイバル〉だ。ブライアンは、これら職業技能の数字を次のように割り当てる。〈登攀〉60%、〈信用〉40%、〈回避〉60%、〈近接戦闘(格闘)〉70%、〈射撃(ライフル/ショットガン)〉50%、〈応急手当〉40%、〈ほかの言語〉50%(スペイン語を第2言語として選んでいる)、〈隠密〉40%、〈サバイバル〉40%である。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 4
Favorite new word: 回避かいひ evasion; avoidance

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Today I watched another episode of Kantaro and a bunch of youtube videos in Japanese. I guess today was the day to focus on listening! Funnily, I didn’t even switch to my immersion youtube account it just kinda happened. :joy:

Level 23 on bunpro

Today’s morphman stats image (864)

5 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

次にブライアンは、4つの個人的な興味の技能を選び出して、それぞれを20%ずつ増加させる(探索者シートに書かれた技能の基本成功率に20を加える)。〈運転(自動車)〉40%、〈跳躍〉40%、〈機械修理〉30%、そして〈目星〉45%である。各技能の数字は、後で「目星 45(22/9)」というように、探索者シートの技能の隣にフル・バリュー、2分の1の値、5分の1の値が書き込まれる。

技能、能力値、そしてそれぞれに割り当てた数字を確認する。少し想像力を働かせれば、この新しいキャラクターがどんな人物かというアイデアが浮かんでくるようになる。あなたが探索者の背景や性格を決める際、メモを取っておきたいと思うかもしれない。探索者は実際にどんな人なのか。どこで育ったのか。家族は誰なのか。自分のキャラクターについて考える時間が多いほど、その性格に深みが出るようになり、“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”をプレイする際の楽しみも増してくるだろう。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 10
Favorite new word: かぶ to come to mind; to have inspiration

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I kept thinking to myself that I was forgetting something for the later half of the day but couldn’t think of what it was! So, I read this week’s Rental Big Brother and Skip Beat. Then I started finding more context sentences for CoC vocab. It wasn’t until I got here that I remembered Anki! I didn’t do any new stuff, but I did my reviews.

Today’s morphman stats image (871)

3 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

バックストーリーのそれぞれの項目(探索者シートの裏側にある)は、ごく短い簡潔な文章でよい。自分のキャラクターが他人にどう見られているかを考えながら、容姿の描写の項目を、短い文章で記入する。その探索者は何を信じているのか、あるいは人生の展望は何か。イデオロギー/信念のところに、それを要約した文章を記入する。独特の癖や行動を、探索者は何か持っているのか。特徴のところに、気に障る癖などを記入する。探索者シートの裏にある項目をすべて埋めようとして、頭を悩ませなくてもよい。2つか3つの項目だけでも、プレイするには十分だ。

例:スーザンは意味のある場所のところに「ニューヨークで生まれ育った」、秘蔵の品として「頼りになる自分の拳銃を決して手放さない」、そしてジャーナリストとしてのイデオロギー/信念として「科学ですべてを説明できる」を記入する。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 19
Favorite new word: 秘蔵ひぞう treasuring; cherishing; prizing; holding dear

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I leveled up to ten on Wanikani today :slight_smile: It took way longer than it should because I was goofing on some critical items, but it gave me a couple extra days to hammer in my apprentice items so I can’t complain too much.

I also got to level 24 on Bunpro. I’ve got all of Genki I circulating right now as review and I’m not sure which direction to take next. Finish up all of N5 stuff or go on to review Genki II? I never finished Genki II and I’m definitely a lot shakier on the stuff I did do… :thinking: In the end I plan to do all the N5 & N4 grammar on Bunpro at some point (+the stuff I come across in the wild) it’s just a matter of the order. :woman_shrugging: I’ll probably just flip a coin in a couple days after the SRS has calmed down a bit.

Also, I almost forgot Anki again today! This time I remembered it early enough in the day to be able to do new lessons though. I got lucky (unlucky :cold_sweat: ) and my usual DnD game got cancelled due to technical difficulties so I was able to do it tonight.

Today’s morphman stats image (891)

4 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

ここまでで、キャラクターはほぼ完成したといえる。探索者シートの表側に戻って、探索者の名前をはじめ、性別や年齢を書き込む。探索者シートの裏側には、その探索者が自分の職業上携行しているだろう標準的な装備品を書き込んでおく。

例:スーザンは「装備と所持品」の欄に女性のジャーナリストらしく「メモ帳、鉛筆、インクペン、ヘアブラシ、ヘアピン」と書き込む。中でもヘアピンは、彼女が錠をこじ開ける必要が出てくる際に役立つかもしれない!

探索者シートには、探索者の似顔絵を描くか貼り付けるための余白がある。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 14
Favorite new word: 所持品しょじひん things at hand; personal belongings

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Sleepy day. I did remember to do Anki as soon as I got on my computer so there’s that

Today’s morphman stats image (908)

6 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

探索者シートの裏にある「収入と財産」については頭を悩ませなくてもよい。この項目はキャラクターの手持ちの金や貯蓄が重要になってくるであろう、経験者向けのキャンペーン・ゲーム用にあるものだからだ(これらの要素は“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG ルールブック”で取り上げられている)。

「技能ロール」はゲームの劇的な状況において要求されることになるだろう。明るく照らされた廊下を歩くのは劇的とは言えないが、がれきの散乱した廊下で怪物に追われつつ走って逃げるのは、間違いなく劇的な状況だ!

技能ロールを試みる際には、その目的をキーパーに同意してもらう必要がある。技能ロールに成功すれば、自分の目的は達成される。さらに、ある技能のロールに成功した時は、探索者シートにある成功した技能名の左にある四角の印にチェックマークを付ける。一度に付けられるチェックは、技能ごとに1つだけである。シナリオの終了時に、その技能は経験によって増加させることができる。さらなる情報は19ページにある「成功の報酬」の項を参照すること。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 15
Favorite new word: がれき rubble; debris; wreckage

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Hmmm I think there’s something off with my Anki lately and idk why :thinking: I went to grab today’s screenshot and a filtered deck had 20 cards due, but I did them all earlier and emptied the deck. I think that’s the most obvious it didn’t remember the last thing I did. I’ll need to figure it out now that I’ve got such big proof.

Today’s morphman stats image (917)

3 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

ほとんどの技能は、その名前がまさに何の技能かを示している。例えば〈運転(自動車)〉は、キャラクターがどのくらい自動車(いわゆる車)をうまく運転できるかを決める。また〈登攀〉は、探索者がどのくらい上手に壁を登ったり下りたりできるかに関係している。ただし、いくつかの技能の名前には把握しにくいものもある。そこで探索者シートに記載された技能を、ここで簡単に説明する。

注意:探索者シートには、それぞれの技能名の隣にパーセンテージの数字が括弧内に書いてある。この数字は、経験を積んでいない技能を使う人の、ごく基本的なチャンスである。そのため、たとえ拳銃を一度も扱っていなくても、誰でも(基本的に20%の成功率で)使おうとすることはできる。

威圧:多くの形態をとり、物理的な力、心理学的な操作、脅しなどが含まれる。〈威圧〉は、人をおびえさせ、あるいは強要して特定の行動をとらせる。これの対抗技能は〈威圧〉か〈心理学〉である。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 14
Favorite new word: 強要きょうよう coercion; extortion; compulsion; force

Notes
I was so sleepy yesterday I didn’t notice I had finished another page! Funnily, I’ve apparently collected 666 new vocab words after today’s bit.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I’ve been doing pretty well keeping up with my Japanese studies but I almost forgot to play a new tprg this month! :scream: I’ll probably be less productive within the next few days because I gotta learn a new system quick! Probably something solo since I don’t have enough time to get a group together.

Oh and I’m level 26 on Bunpro.

Today’s morphman stats image (941)

5 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

言いくるめ:これは言葉によるごまかし、だまし、そして誤誘導といったものに、ひときわ限定される。例えば、用心棒をだましてクラブに入り込んだり、読んでいない書類にサインさせたり、警察官によそ見をさせたりといった使い方だ。これの対抗技能は〈言いくるめ〉か〈心理学〉である。

医学:症状、負傷、病気、中毒などを診断して治療できる。治療は最低でも1時間かかり、ダメージを受けたあとならいつでも行なえるが、ダメージを受けたその日のうちに行なわない場合は、技能ロールの難易度(14ページ参照)が上昇する(ハードの成功が必要)。〈医学〉による治療が成功したなら耐久力が(受けた〈応急手当〉による回復に加えて)1D3ポイント回復する。例外は瀕死状態にあるキャラクターの場合で〈医学〉ロールの前にまず〈応急手当〉ロールに成功して容態を安定させなければならない。
運転(自動車):乗用車や軽トラックを運転し、ごくありふれた動きをさせ、ありふれた故障に対応することができる。探索者が、尾行してくる車をまきたい場合もしくは別の車を尾行したい場合には、〈運転(自動車))ロールが適切だろう。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 29
Favorite new word: 尾行びこう shadow; tail; following

Notes
I managed to stick all the paragraphs I’ll be doing into my doc. I’ll do something fancy with the info later when I’m less busy, but for now I know I’ll be seeing 1228 Kanji by the end of this! :scream:

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I managed to play a new trpg system today, but I only “finished” by dying really fast. It felt just like the CYOA I used to read when I was a kid, but with way more lead up lol. I’ll probably play it again soon while I still have the rules fresh so I can give it a real shot. If anyone has ever played Tunnels and Trolls give me a shout out and explain some rules to me :pray:

I also found some time to read this week’s おじさまと猫 This is probably my favorite week so far. I was definitely laughing a lot for such few pages.

Today’s morphman stats image (962)

6 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

応急手当:救急医療を行なえるが、この技能で病気を治療することはできない(それには〈医学〉が必要である)。〈応急手当〉は、けがを負ってから1時間以内に行なわなければならず、そうして初めて耐久力を1ポイント回復させる。また〈応急手当〉で、意識不明の人を目覚めさせたりすることができる。

オカルト:オカルトの道具一式、用語、概念および民間の伝承を認識することができる。魔術やオカルトの暗号に関する書物を識別することもできる。書物や教え、または経験といったものから学んだ、隠された神秘の知識をも思い出せる。

隠密:気づかれないようにしたり、静かに移動したり、見つかる可能性がある人の注意を引くことなく隠れたりする技能である。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 12
Favorite new word: 暗号あんごう code; password; cipher

Notes
Today I realized I wanted to check if the readability has gone up after all this studying with Anki and realized I had never written down anywhere what it was the first time I ran it. I found the results and it was apparently 64.11% (higher than I thought it would be!) I was able to resist running it again, but I might do it when I’m half way through this doc. I’ll definitely do it when I finish the whole thing though! At that point I’ll move on to something else and have it generate a study plan based on the new material (probably the basic rules for dnd), so I won’t be able to track CoC progress, but hopefully I’ll still be making progress.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Today’s morphman stats image (982)

6 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

回避:探索者が打撃や投げつけられた物体などを本能的にかわすことを可能にする。キャラクターは1戦闘ラウンドに何回でも回避を試みることができる(ただし攻撃ごとに1回だけである)。もし攻撃が見えているのであれば、キャラクターは回避を試みられる。従って、飛んで来る銃弾を見ることはできないので、銃弾の回避は不可能である。この場合のかわす手段として最善なのは、命中しにくくさせるしかない。キャラクターのDEX値を2分の1(端数切り捨て)にして、〈回避〉の最初の基本成功率を決める。

科学:専門性を持つ科学の実践と理論についての能力は、ある程度の正式な教育と訓練から得られるものであるが、博識なアマチュア科学者にもそれなりの可能性がある。理解と視野は、プレイの舞台となる時代に制約される。技能ポイントを使って、任意の専門分野の〈科学〉技能を獲得すること。例えば〈天文学〉〈生物学〉〈植物学〉〈化学〉〈暗号学〉〈地質学〉〈薬学〉〈物理学〉〈動物学〉などである。キャラクターが適切な専門分野を習得していなかった場合、キーパーは難易度を上昇させる(もしくはペナルティー・ダイスを適用する)ことで関連する専門分野を用いてロールさせてもよい。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 29
Favorite new word: 本能的ほんのうてき instinctive; instinctual

Notes
I really liked the list of different sciences :slight_smile: That was a lot of fun to learn!

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Note to self: Wednesdays are not great for studying! Whatever I don’t get done in the morning probably won’t get done. :confused:

Today’s morphman stats image (999)
So close to a milestone!!! I’m gonna celebrate today anyway! :partying_face:

7 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

鍵開け:自動車のドアを開けたり、自動車の点火装置をショートさせてエンジンをかけたり、図書館の窓を金てこでこじ開けたり、複雑な仕掛けを解き明かしたり、ありふれた警報装置を突破したりできる。錠を修理したり、鍵を作ったり、合い鍵や先端を曲げた道具などを用いて錠を開けたりもできる。

鑑定:特定の品物の価値を見積もるための技能。品質、使われた材料、職人の技も価値に含まれる。

機械修理:壊れた機械を修理したり、新しい機械を作ったりできる。基本的な大工仕事や配管作業をこなすこともできるし、(滑車のような)部品を作ることも、(蒸気ポンプのような)部品を修理することもできる。ありふれた家庭用の錠を開けるためこの技能を使うことができるものの、もっと複雑な錠には〈鍵開け〉技能が求められる。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 23
Favorite new word: 蒸気じょうきポンプ steam pump (esp. on a fire engine)
Most troublesome word: かなてこ crowbar
ichi.moe had obviously parsed this word wrong, but when I threw the phrase directly into jisho it also wasn’t quite right. I got a bit closer with てこ being some kind of lever and since 金 is metal I thought it’s probably a metal lever of some kind, but it gave me きむ as the reading and I knew that was wrong. I put it into weblio and got crowbar and then threw crowbar into jisho and got かなてこ Did I spend a bit too much time trying to figure out the reading for a word that only shows up this one time? Maybe. But hey, I use crowbars a lot in dnd so it’s a useful word to know

Notes
And with that we finish page 11!

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Today’s morphman stats image (1009)

8 Likes

Sometimes, an image search in your web search engine of choice does wonders =D

5 Likes

ah I had forgotten about that! I did it earlier in the project to figure out cultist and haven’t done it since.

5 Likes