Becks's intensive reading/study log

Today's Paragraph

クトゥルフ神話の中で力を切望する人間は、時空の秘密を操る達人になるのと引き換えに、正気の残りすべてを捨て去ることを選ぶかもしれない。そうした悪魔的な取引がなされれば、これらの無慈悲な魔術師たちは、より多くの知識と力を手に入れるのと引き換えに、やがてこの世界に荒廃と破滅をもたらすだろう。クトゥルフ神話における異界の存在は人類とおよそかけ離れており、しばしば神のようなものとして考えられ、崇拝するカルトを生み出している。このようなカルトは、ゲームの中で探索者に敵対した行動をとる。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 20
Favorite new word: て 去 to abandon (ship)
It was hard to pick a good word, but I decided to go with something that wasn’t death, destruction, or demon related today :slight_smile:

Notes
We’re still in the welcome to the game fluff but this paragraph had so many fun new words that I didn’t have as boring a time as usual. All in all it was a good day!

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I ended up running out of i+1 context sentences already OTL I switched to the grammar examples for now, but I’m gonna have to go ham on finding more for all this vocab so I can switch back soon. It’s easy to find sentences, but hard to find i+1 for these guys at my level. Morphman says I only know 470 words so it’s unsurprising. Also man what a low number, but that’s what I get for being too lazy to manually put words in the known file

The BF and I watched Tower of God and I went down a rabbit hole looking into Kenjiro Tsuda (the japanese va for Lero Ro). …I’m probably gonna get distracted looking for stuff he’s in to add to my sentence banks

2 Likes
Today's Paragraph

“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”の冒険は、往々にして謎が中心であり、探索者は事態の真実を解明するために呼び出される。この謎は多くの場合、クトゥルフ神話の神々に仕えている狂信的な崇拝者、あるいはカルトの犯罪的な悪行によって引き起こされたものである。探索者の仕事は手掛かりを見つけることで、手掛かりはそれぞれが調査や探究のための新たな道筋を明らかにする。探索者が手掛かりを集めていくと事態に関する情報も増えていき、そもそもの悪行を起こした人物や元凶を特定できるようになる。そうなれば、何らかの形で最終的な対決や課題が生じてくるかもしれない。謎を解明して事態を解決する方法を決め、責を帰すべき誰かに法の裁きを受けさせる、もしくは処分するのを実行するのは、探索者に扮するプレイヤーの仕事である。時として謎は、不思議な魔術やおぞましい怪物、または他の奇怪な出来事がもたらしたものかもしれない。それらは探索者に悪影響を与えることができる。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 46
Favorite new word: 不思議ふしぎ wonderful; marvelous; strange; incredible; amazing; curious; miraculous; mysterious
I used to like Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play as a kid so I saw this and was like :open_mouth: wait a minute… But it’s written ふしぎ遊戯 :cry: so I don’t get to have that sweet sweet I “know” that Kanji now feeling.

I also really like this little dude 的 It’s like -ish and I’ve already started to recognize it sentences now. A cool and useful little dude.

Notes
Today’s paragraph was a doozy! I didn’t have anything else to do today so I just went for it, but man I’m glad it’s over. With this push though I finished the next page! This one took a lot less time, but it had way fewer paragraphs and I was able to stick with the paragraph a day pace. Today is the day with the most words, but it also had the most sentences and they weren’t short ones either.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Some vocab example sentences showed up when I did Anki today, so going ham worked :v: It was still mostly grammar examples though so I need to keep the ham going for a while still.

Oh I was also goofing around with my spreadsheet and grabbed all the unique kanji. I’ve only got pages 4-8 in there so stuff like frequency and wanikani level reading ability aren’t quite correct, but it’s cool to see even now! I think whenever I finish this project I’ll revisit it when I get to certain readability milestones. I’ll have to see how far along I can get in Wanikani in the meantime before I set those.

6 Likes

Maybe you need to seek out this art book!

I bought this series on DVD a while back, but haven’t watched it yet. I know absolutely nothing about the series, so I have no idea what to expect when I get around to watching it =D

2 Likes

Oh fancy! I do like art books so maybe I should :slight_smile:

It’s been a long time since I watched it and back then I was a big weeb in time when it was kinda hard to get my hands on anime, so as long as it wasn’t terrible I liked it. I can’t comment on how good it is because of that lol. From what I remember it’s pretty much what you’d expect from a 90s shoujo isekai.

2 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”では、10面ダイス(D10)、4面ダイス(D4)、6面ダイス(D6)、8面ダイス(D8)、および20面ダイス(D20)を使う。こうしたさまざまなダイスは、ホビーショップやインターネットで購入することができる。

「D」という文字は「ダイス」を意味する。「D」の後ろの数字は出せる乱数の範囲を表す。例えば、1D8は1から8までの数字をランダムに出すことができる。

ルールブックやシナリオでは、上記の略号を使ってさまざまなダイス・ロールを求めている。例えば、怪物が1D8ダメージを与えると書いてあれば、8面ダイスを1回ロールして、どれくらいのダメージが実際に発生したかを決定する。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 13
Favorite new word: 上記じょうき above-mentioned; above-named; above

I also thought 出す was interesting. I had only every seen it used for stuff like taking out the trash and was a little confused seeing it today. Words are rarely as simple as textbooks make them out to be it seems.

Notes
Today was really easy so I ended up doing three paragraphs. It’s getting a lot easier as we go into the stuff I know really well. I should be able to figure out more stuff from context! I’m excited.

Weekly Wrap-up
This week ended up being a lot of work. I’m amazed I was able to keep the pace. I ended up “learning” 147 new words and broke down 38 sentences. As expected, the number of sentences I can do at a time has started to slowly go up. Vocab has been all over the place, but hopefully by the end it’s trending downward.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Boy I sure let Bunpro reviews stack up. I don’t know how useful the SRS part of the website is for me, but I really like the rest of it. I think I’ll go ahead and pay when my month is over in a few days even if I don’t use the SRS that much.

7 Likes
Today's Paragraph

通常パーセント・ダイスは2個の10面ダイスを同時にロールする。1つ(1の位)のダイスには1から0の数字が、もう1つ(10の位)のダイスには10から00の数字が付いている。2つのダイスをロールして、その2つの数字を一緒に読む(例えば10の位のダイスが「30」で1の位のダイスが「5」であれば、2つのダイスを一緒にして35%と読む)。10の位のダイスが「00」で1の位のダイスが「0」であれば、結果は「100」となる。10の位のダイスが「00」で1の位のダイスが「0」以外であれば、10未満の数字が得られたことになる。例えば、10の位のダイスが「00」で1の位のダイスが「3」であれば、3%と読む。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 4
Favorite new word: 未満みまん less than; insufficient

Apparently 位 is also a counter for ghosts??? Japan pls OTL I’m begging you to have less counters

Notes
An easy easy day! Perfect for a Sunday. Oh and apparently I’ve done 100 sentences so far! Based on the pages so far there’s probably around 1500? So yeah - still gonna be a long long way to go.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I also did this week’s reading for レンタルおにいちゃん and started an anki project for it. I’m not sure how useful throwing all the sentences into anki is, but I might as well. If I decide to continue doing it I might clean it up and throw it into the thread. Or I might just leave it ugly! Who knows.

Oh I’m also gonna try and remember to post how many “words” Morphman thinks I know at the end of each day. Here it is today! image

4 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

ダイスの種類の前に数字が付いている場合が時々ある(「2D6」など)。これはそのダイスを1個だけでなく、その数字の数だけのダイスをロールして、結果を合計することを意味している。例えば「2D6」なら、2個の6面ダイスをロールして結果を合計するという意味だ(1個のD6を2回ロールして結果を合計してもかまわない)。

「1D6+1」などの表記もある。これはD6のロールの結果に、プラス記号のあとにくる数を加えるという意味だ。従って「1D6+1」の結果は、2、3、4、5、6、7のうちのどれかになるはずである。

例えば、怪物のかぎ爪が「1D6+1+2D4」のダメージを与えるという場合には、怪物の攻撃の力は、3つのダイス(D6を1つ、D4を2つ)をロールして結果を合計し、さらに1を加えた値になる。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 10
Favorite new word: 攻撃こうげき attack; assault; raid; onslaught; offensive

Hello I’d like to call the police because is a crime of a kanji. I’m not looking forward to level 28 with stuff like this

Notes
There were a bunch of easy paragraphs in a row so I just did all of them. This is another bit I tend to skip in rules books because I know how rolling dice works thank you. It makes for really easy reading in japanese though. I have no idea what some of these words are, but I can guess that probably means add, etc.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Here’s today’s Morphman status image
I decided to add a wanikani vocab deck to anki so i could get those words marked off as known without having to add stuff manually (and get another opportunity to review them because why not :woman_shrugging: ). We’ll see the fruits of that in 20 some odd days apparently.

Speaking of Anki, I’ve put all the sentences from Rental Big Brother up to this week’s reading. I wasn’t sure if the effort for all of this was worth it, but typing it all up, grabbing context panels, double checking I copied everything correctly, etc has been a pretty good way to study it all. I think I’ll try to do my other book club stuff too. Or maybe I’m just saying that because it’s a good way to procrastinate for bunpro

5 Likes
Today's Paragraph

もちろん、すべての冒険が同じというわけではなく、一部の冒険では謎という形式をとらない。単に危険な状況へ探索者を放り込んで、そこから逃げたり解決策を見つけたりしなければならないシナリオも中にはあるのだ。冒険はそれぞれが短い物語のようなもので、どれも違う話である。シナリオを互いに連結して、それぞれの物語をよりあわせてもっと大がかりなプロットを形成することができる。これらをキャンペーンと呼ぶ。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 10
Favorite new word: おおがかり large-scale
I’ve never seen this word but it wasn’t hard to guess it was probably something big

Notes
Hm surprisingly I didn’t get to this paragraph until really late in the day. I usually do it as soon as I finish morning wanikani reviews. There wasn’t anything particularly difficult about today’s so it’s kinda weird I pushed it off for so long.
Another surprise is that this is the first time I’ve had to decide if I should put words in my Anki deck that I know, but don’t know the kanji for. I decided against it in the end - I’ll let wanikani handle kanji.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Here’s today’s Morphman status image (567)
It feels like I’m just blasting through Anki. It’s kinda nice to not quit it after a couple weeks for once. Maybe it’s the decks or maybe I’m just more motivated this time. Who knows!

3 Likes
Today's Paragraph

“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”をプレイする目的は、自分の友人と楽しい時間を過ごすことだ。“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”には、普通に争うような感覚でいう勝者も敗者もいない。プレイは協調して行なわれる。参加者は共通のゴールを達成するため、共に取り組む。ゴールとは普通、暗黒のカルトや秘密の集団の手先などによって遂行されつつある、何らかの邪悪な企てを発見し阻止することだ。探索者が立ち向かう敵は、公平なキーパーにコントロールされる異界の存在だったり、好ましくない状況だったりする。もちろんほかのプレイヤーは敵ではない。キーパーは冒険におけるすべての脇役キャラクターと怪物の役を引き受け、一方プレイヤーはそれぞれ1つの役割、つまり探索者の役を演じる。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 25
Favorite new word: 手先てさき underling; stooge; tool; pawn; minion

Notes
Very very tired of studying Japanese by the time I got to today’s paragraph. I gotta admit I was really lazy today. Just looked up words and didn’t really bother trying to figure out how the sentences work.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I made a subs2srs deck for Kantaro - The Sweet Tooth Salaryman. It was a bigger pain in butt than it should have been. In the end it got done though and that’s probably part of why I was so tired of studying today. I didnt want to look at a screen anymore but ugh here’s more screen.

Here’s today’s Morphman status image (598)

5 Likes
Today's Paragraph

そのような状況における「勝利」とは、探索者たちが自分たちのゴールを達成したかどうかである。そして「敗北」とは、自分たちのゴールを成し遂げられなかった場合に起きるということだ(あとで再び挑戦することもできる)。ゲーム中、探索者はけがをしたり、正気度を打ち砕かれるような体験をしたり、あるいは死んだりすることすらあるだろう。しかし、誰かがクトゥルフ神話の 宇宙的恐怖[コ ズ ミ ッ ク・ホ ラ ー]に立ち向かわなければならない。そして、地球を隷従させようというクトゥルフの根本的な計画を阻止できるならば、1人の探索者の死は小さなことだ!

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 6
Favorite new word: 勝利しょうり victory; triumph; conquest; success; win

Notes
I tried to get this done quick today. There were not a lot of new words so that helped.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Made good progress on getting bunpro reviews to zero.

Here’s today’s Morphman status image (607)

6 Likes
Today's Paragraph

生き延びた探索者は、恐るべき怪物の知識を得て、忘れ去られた伝承が記された秘密の書物から力を授かる。そして経験を積むにつれて自分の技能を高めていくだろう。つまりプレイヤーの探索者は、死ぬか引退するまで(どちらかが先に訪れる時点まで)成長し続ける。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 7
Favorite new word: さずかる to be gifted or endowed (e.g. with a talent)

Notes
And with these sentences we’ve finished another page!

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I leveled up on Wanikani! It wasn’t till late in the evening though :confused: I decided to go ahead and do the radicals since I’ll be awake in 4 hours. I don’t imagine I’ll remember many in the morning though.

I did some more bunpro today and decided to finally read the faq. I’m starting to get how things work. Ghost reviews were something I didn’t ralize was happening but now I’m glad I know!

Here’s today’s Morphman status image (641)

3 Likes
Today's Paragraph

ジョンとその妻、そして友人2人が金曜の晩の7時にジョンの家に集まっている。その週の出来事を語り合い、飲み物や乾き物を楽しんでから居間に集まると、ジョンが紙と筆記用具を配る。ジョンが声をかけつつ、ほかの人は探索者を創造する。みんなはダイス・ロールの結果を見てキャラクターのアイデアを出し、探索者シートを埋めていく。ちょうど8時になったところだ。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 11
Favorite new word: かわもの dry snacks (e.g. crackers, nuts, dried squid, esp. to go with drinks)

Notes
Got this done first thing today and was a little thrown off by what felt like a left turn in topics. I realized this must have come from a text box off to the side and didn’t mark it in my docs. I’ll have to remember to do so in the future so poor tired morning me doesn’t get confused again o7

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I’m posting this really early today because I’m not sure how my evening will be. I didn’t get much done but I hope I don’t have too much fun later and forget to do the rest

3 Likes
Today's Paragraph

ジョンがプレイグループのために選んだ冒険を取り出し、オープニングのシーンを説明することからゲームは始まる。ジョンは、探索者たちがある男の相談に乗っているところだと告げる。その男は、自分の古い地所を調べてほしいという。うわさによれば、そこには幽霊が出るというのだ! プレイヤーの一人が即座に反応する。自分の探索者の声色で、そのようなことは「完全なたわ言だね」と言う。物語が展開していくにしたがって、全員が引き込まれるようになり、キャラクターたちが行動したり話したりする様子が描写されていく。ニューヨークなまりの口調で、自分のキャラクターのように話しているプレイヤーもいれば、キャラクターを「演じる」ことをせず普通に話すプレイヤーもいる。劇的な争い事が生じ、ダイスをロールして結果を判定する。プレイヤーがしたいことをやり遂げる場合もあれば、イベントがプレイヤーたちの前に立ちふさがるかに思える場合もある。これらはすべて会話とダイスをロールして、ある状況の結果を判定するだけで進められる。いすから立ち上がってそれを演じることはないし、演劇のような衣装を着けることもない。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 20
Favorite new word: 幽霊ゆうれい ghost; specter; spectre; apparition; phantom

Notes
Lots of sentences but I managed to get it done. I learned zu form is a thing today. That’s interesting

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Busy busy weekend. I didn’t end up doing anything after I posted yesterday and I pretty much only did Wanikani and this paragraph. I hope to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.

2 Likes

(and now I have, too :smiley:)

1 Like

From its use in today’s paragraph?

If so, then you’re ready for this week’s レンタルおにいちゃん reading!

(Or did you learn it the club, then see it in the paragraph?)

2 Likes

From it being in this paragraph. That’s neat I’ll get to see it in the wild again so fast!

3 Likes
Today's Paragraph

ジョンと彼のプレイヤーたちは10時半ごろにプレイをやめ、おしゃべりをしばらく楽しんでから11時ごろに解散した。全員が次週再び集まるのを楽しみにしている。物語がどう進んで行くのかは、その時にわかるはずだ。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 4
Favorite new word: おしゃべり chattering; talk; idle talk; chat; chitchat; gossip

Notes
A pretty short paragraph today! I thought about continuing on but I’m glad for a bit of a break.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I read this week’s レンタルおにいちゃん and おじさまと猫. Just some extensive reading but I’ll probably break these pages down and add them to Anki tomorrow. I’m a little tired of SRS today after catching up on all the reviews that piled up in Anki this weekend. Apparently I did 260 cards in 40ish minutes so go me. Here’s today’s Morphman stats image (657)

3 Likes
Today's Paragraph

“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”をプレイするには、あなたはキャラクターを創造する必要がある。キャラクターはゲーム内で「探索者」と呼ばれ、クトゥルフ神話の恐怖を調べることをいちばんに考える者たちだ。プレイヤーは、自分の探索者の詳細を探索者シート(40ページ)に記入する。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 2
Favorite new word: 詳細しょうさい details; particulars; specifics

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

I added chapter 3 of おじさまと猫 to Anki. I finally learned the shortcuts for switching between language inputs and from katakana to hiragana, etc. That made things go a lot faster today! Speaking of Anki, here’s today’s Morphman stats. image (659)

I lost a bit of studying to Tony Hawk 1 and 2 and that’s probably gonna continue to be the case now that it’s finished installing and I have access to more than just the tutorial :sweat_smile: As long as I make sure to keep up with Wanikani and I do my daily sentence it’s all good :v: Anki too would be nice, but eh let’s be realistic.

I got my Bunpro reviews to zero boyos! Time to celebrate. And do more reviews in an hour

3 Likes
Today's Paragraphs

まず“新クトゥルフ神話TRPG”のキャラクターには8つの能力値がある。

STR(Strength、筋力)は、探索者が体一つで発揮できる物理的な力を表す。

CON(Constitution、体力)は、探索者の健康や頑強さを表す。

SIZ(Size、体格)は、探索者の身長と体重を総合して反映したものを表す。

DEX(Dexterity、敏捷性)は、探索者の身体的な機敏さと速度を表す。

APP(Appearance、外見)は、キャラクターの人を引きつける力や、肉体的な魅力を表す。

INT(Intelligence、知性)は、探索者の抜け目のなさや、論理と直感を飛躍させる能力を大まかに表す。

POW(Power、精神力)は、意思の力、心、そして精神的安定性を合わせたものを表す。

EDU(Education、教育)は、正規の学校教育もしくは重んずべき「人生経験」を通じて探索者が蓄積してきた知識を表す。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 34
Favorite new word: 飛躍ひやく leapfrog (over a problem); making a leap (e.g. in logic)

Notes
Today was a whole heap of fun. There were lots of fun words, sentences about mechanics so I actually liked what I was trying to understand, and the grammar was so easy! I also thought it was kinda neat to read “definitions” so I got a lot of vocab that’s similar.

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi
Torii

:open_mouth: I’ve got all my context sentences, the source sentences, and grammar example sentences bundled together in a filtered deck in Anki and today one of my source sentences showed up!!! That was really exciting!!! I knew most of it even before I turned on the furigana so that was really really cool. It feels like progress :muscle:

Here’s the morphman stats for today image (676)

Today I also found this blog about classical Japanese that seems pretty cool. It goes on my to do list because I definitely don’t have time to get into that right now.

I also decided to try out Torii since I recently noticed a bunch of words that I’ve been putting into Anki are words with Kanji I know but don’t get taught on wanikani. Idk if Torii will have them, but I’m gonna downgrade the number of new Anki cards a day and try out Wanikani mode on Torii for a bit.

4 Likes
Today's Paragraph

これら8つの能力値に、次の数字を好きなように割り当てる。40、50、50、50、60、60、70、80。これらの数字はそれぞれがパーセント値である。従って探索者の筋力に70を割り当てれば、それは平均値を上回る「STR 70%」となる。この探索者はとても力持ちということだ。探索者シートにある、各能力値が書かれた横の大きな空欄に、割り当てた数字を記入する。これらの数字をフル・バリューと呼ぶ。

Vocabulary
Total New Words: 9
Favorite new word: 力持ちからも muscleman; strong man

Other Stuff
Wanikani
Anki
Bunpro
Koohi

Today I had a free day so I decided to go hard on grammar. I left Bunpro off vacation mode for the whole day and man it sure is relentless. I know it’s my fault that it’s crazy right now, but I keep coming across new grammar and going well it’d probably be good to put that in the srs since I’m studying it anyway. It’s not like I go out of my way to do new lessons! :sob: I just need to keep up with the reviews. Eventually it’ll be less of an ordeal. At least I’ve got a system for dealing with large chunks of reviews that’s working really well. I feel like I live on Bunpro though and can’t wait to get this under control.

Also I almost forgot. I had decided to try out Torii and when I went on it today I just couldn’t be bothered. I think I won’t be able to handle another SRS until I at least get Bunpro managed, but even then I’m not sure.

Here’s today’s Morphman stats! image (683)

3 Likes