Backround violet? Single Kanji - Hey, it's Kun'readin - no it's not

There’s also the pattern where some single kanji ~する verbs have irregular conjugations, including sound changes and forms based on the old ~す verb. And the copulas, which are verbish. Lots of exceptions!

“Everything is regular except for irregular things.”

Got yourself a nice tautology here.

There are a others that don’t quite play nice with certain conjugations, but yeah–that was more of a leading question than an honest inquiry.

There are exceptions, but English is absolutely littered with them. Exceptions だらけ.

(Which isn’t to say Japanese is any more or less logical than English, but any language has its oddities because they’re formed through use and mutation rather than design.)

Oooooh, I had a full year in school just about irregular verbs in French. We would go through all of these, day after day, week after week, the whole textbook was only about those verbs. essayer, essuyer, mourir, craindre, croire, asseoir,… Suffice it to say, I forgot most of it.

2 Likes

My favorite is moudre (to grind (for cereals), to mill).
Half the time, the d becomes an l, because, yeah, why not.

1 Like

So is there something on this site about rendaku.
I see it mentioned for the reading of a word.
But it would be nice if there are some rules i can apply. Even though there are lots of exceptions.

There aren’t really rules for rendaku. You might notice some patterns as you learn new words, though. Tofugu did an article about it a few years ago (https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/rendaku/) and you can Google as well as anyone to find more information.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.